The Hobbit body for Gollum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customikey

Super Freak
Reaction score
To facilitate more discussion about the new short body, I took some pics of a stripped down Frodo as Gollum. The joints don't bug me, but I know they bother a lot of people. At the least, you can see a bit of what the new body is capable of. Discuss.

P6210079.jpg

P6210080.jpg

P6210081.jpg

P6210082.jpg

P6210085.jpg

P6210086.jpg

Looks good, problem is all those exposed joints...

If you don't mind that...Well, I think you got something there...

i dont think id mind the joints for a 1/6 gollum but they would still have to make a better sculpted body. that one is too "beefed up". personally i dont think we'll ever see a 1/6 gollum. at least a half way decent one.:monkey2

Looks good, problem is all those exposed joints...

If you don't mind that...Well, I think you got something there...

It's an action figures. If you don't want joints get a 1/6 scale statue. I personally am really pleased with how it looks. Maybe SS will really put LOTR into full swing at SDCC. Merry, Pip, Gimli and Gollum?

I don't mind the exposed joints too much. I'd much prefer they go that route rather than interchangable posed limbs or what not. Perhaps a few rubber body suit type pieces to cover up the arms and legs?

I know people hate exposed joints, but truly, I don't see any way to get a figure with the posing versatility the character necessitates without using exposed joints, rubber outter body will limit posing.

However, I don't think they can just use the hobbit sized body, it's in health proportions. They should use it as a template and sculpt the various pieces of anatomy in the more anorexic appearance of Gollum.

I know people hate exposed joints, but truly, I don't see any way to get a figure with the posing versatility the character necessitates without using exposed joints, rubber outter body will limit posing.

However, I don't think they can just use the hobbit sized body, it's in health proportions. They should use it as a template and sculpt the various pieces of anatomy in the more anorexic appearance of Gollum.

On that score, I agree with you. Exposed joints don't bug me, but Gollum needs to be more emaciated. This is going to be a very difficult figure to tool. I mean, if the limbs are as thin as they need to be, then unless they mold the figure in rubber instead of plastic, then he's going to be veeerrry delicate.

I don't think there's any chance of a resculpted articulated body, especially for a OOAK character like Gollum. If they sculpt a new body it'll be with limited to no articulation, a VCD type plastic statue possibly with interchangale posed arms. With a decent paint job I think you could make the "healthy" regular Hobbitt body sufficently Gollumish. I think rubber body pieces such as arm and leg sleeves ending at the shoulders and hips could work, but for a mass market figure they'd prolly have to cast the rubber too thick ala Jason VII and that would limit any articulation under the sleeves.

As cool as those poses look, there's no way I would get a Gollum showing the ugly exposed joints. I'd rather have a molded (ala Bubo) Gollum to display with my other LOTR figs. Perhaps a 2-pack of Gollum / Smeagol in some iconic poses. Maybe have some limited articulation but not at the expense of asthetics. I may be alone here, but these figures are posable statues* to me. I pretty much pose them and leave them alone.

*copyright FLY, all rights reserved. ;)

I think Captain Faramir had the right idea when he said Gollum should me in the mode of Salacious Crumb and bubo only with alternated arms, legs, and facial expressions that you can mix and match.

I think Captain Faramir had the right idea when he said Gollum should me in the mode of Salacious Crumb and bubo only with alternated arms, legs, and facial expressions that you can mix and match.

Alternate heads are a must, but as annoying as the joints may be, I'm not sure I want a little pile of alternate arms and legs either.

Still, he would look the best sculpted in a static pose.

Is the actual Hobbit torso smaller than the regular human torsos or are the legs and arms the real difference. If the torso is the same size, I wonder if they could modify one of the armor bodies to fit a rubber body suit so that the body isn't too muscular. I agree I'd hate to see all those articulation points, but I'd prefer a posable figure and not a statue.

There's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't just make a reasonably articulated Gollum with a fully sculpted body. A lot of 1/6 scale fans seem to get into the mindset that you have to use a preexisting base body to make a figure, and that anything that limits articulation in any way is bad. I've also heard them claim that sculpting an entire body would be way too expensive. Well the fact is that most toy manufacturers do in fact sculpt the entire body of their figures from scratch, and still manage to get reasonably good articulation. If they can do it, I don't see why Sideshow can't. Just give Gollum a number of ball joints and he'd have enough articulation while still looking decent.

Not to be rude, but there's no way in hell I'd buy a Gollum that just looked like a naked 1/6 scale figure, with all of the joints exposed.

I actually think he'd look fine with the present body... but since we aren't paying for the clothing I would expect the body to be fully painted. Having the limbs painted goes a long way to making the base body look less toy-like.

I would certainly prefer a body with more acurately sculpted limbs and musculature for Gollum, just not sure if Sideshow will do it based on previous releases.

Thanks for the shots Mikey :rock

Thing that bothers me most is, the pace of this line and the ammount of figures done to date couple with the small challenges in making Gollum lead me to think he probably won't ever be done, which sucks but I'm going to embrace that notion and if I'm proven wrong, woohoo.

I'd be fine with them going this route. The exposed joints don't bother me a bit and if you're going to be collecting 1:6th figures you might want to get used to them.

im ok with joints. im not ok with using a standard body. if they use that particular hobbit body cast in grey with gollum hands and head it would look so f'n ridiculous.

Back