A New Friday the 13th Movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voorhees27

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered already but is there talk of a new Friday the 13th movie being released next year or something???

Thanks!

I know someone who wrote a draft of the script for New Line.

Apparently, they're in on the whole remake craze now, too.

Michael Bay is one of the producers (just like with the TCM remakes). Last I heard there was some legal wrangling holding things up. Turns out that Paramount won't let New Line release a new movie with the title "Friday The 13th" (because they own the title, even though NL owns the sequel rights). The usual Hollywood parlor games.

I know someone who wrote a draft of the script for New Line.

Apparently, they're in on the whole remake craze now, too.

Michael Bay is one of the producers (just like with the TCM remakes). Last I heard there was some legal wrangling holding things up. Turns out that Paramount won't let New Line release a new movie with the title "Friday The 13th" (because they own the title, even though NL owns the sequel rights). The usual Hollywood parlor games.

Correct. That's why the last few friday films were all called "Jason" instead.

A remake? Sheesh, monkey see monkey do! Either way I would want to see it! If Michael Bay is invloved I will forsure, I know he's more known for action flicks but I don't know I just think he's good at making any type of film!

I remember there were rumors floating around early last year. It was suppose to come out in October or something never happened of course. From what I have read they are looking at the remake route. Either way I think it will depend on the success of Halloween.

I don't have a lot of faith in New Line anymore so I'm not holding my breath for anything good if it ever happens and Paramount can jump. They are ashamed of the movies why the hell not let it go already... Oh wait they can still squeeze money out of it.

It was more than a rumor. It was supposed to be out by sometime this year but there were setbacks so now it's in development hell. Yes it was a remake type of flick but he would have the hockey mask.

The only name I remember was being attached to it was Jonathan Liebesman (TCM: The Beginning) but like I said, that was a while ago.

Michael Bay's production company Platinum Dunes has reconfirmed its dedication to producing a remake of Friday the 13th to the trade publication Variety. The company says that the film is now set for a 2009 release date.

The project was initially supposed to move forward in early 2006, before entering development hell and being delayed in favor of other remakes from Platinum Dunes including The Hitcher as well as the prequel Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning.

Many are waiting to see the performance of Rob Zombie's Halloween remake to see what the final word is on whether this moves forward or not. Jonathan Liebesman was previously attached to direct the R-Rated horror film which would return to Crystal Lake. Paramount has also given their blessing to the project in the past year, opening the door for use of the Friday the 13th name as well as characters from the pre-New Line era.

Febuary, March and November will all receive "Friday the 13ths" during the year 2009, making them ideal for potential release dates.

I've also read a while back this remake will consist of Parts 1-3 making up one movie.

The killing spree/death of Mrs. Voorhees, Jason emerging with the sack, Jason switching to the mask, etc. will all be covered in this remake.

Too bad the Quentin Tarantino "Ultimate Jason" project fell through; that would have been infinitely better than any garbage Michael Bay could crap out at us. :monkey2

There is only one reason for all of these remakes; money. First of all, when you remake a movie, you do not need to purchase a new script. A fresh script can cost millions, but to rewrite a previously existing script costs nothing, hence the remakes. Second, there's a built in fanbase that will see the movie regardless of the negative buzz or reviews, so it's a no brainer. Eventually this remake fas will die down and we'll get some actual original stories. I still can't believe they haven't made a sequel to Freddy vs Jason yet. That movie grossed more than both the entire franchise's did! The should just make a sequel and stop talking about including a third character like Michael Myers, Chucky or Ash; it would never work.

I don't mind remakes as long as the film warrants it. Being a comic fan I know all about revamps and continuity cleanup, sometimes it really is needed. A single film being remade seems silly to me and just an excuse to make more cash, but to revamp a franchise and bring it back from the brink is ok. As long as you make it compelling and bring it into modern day with more than just the same old film with the exact same dialog. With Halloween, it makes total sense. The last films have started to drift off into crazy land and aren't even scary anymore... Same with Friday, they have lost the edge.

So it's best to take that dull edge, remake the blade and sharpen that sucker. When it is for this purpose, ala Bond or Batman... it makes sense to my "comic-fan" mind and I get it. Continuity is bad, remake ok. If not, they suck for doing it.

I hope this happens eventually, I would love to see a new approach at my favorite Hock head. :rock

I don't mind remakes at all as some remakes are some of my favorite movies ever, The Thing, The Fly, Night of the Living Dead, The Blob -I just want it to be good. A new Jason movie would be welcomed by me but I hope and all I hope is that it entertains and kicks ass.

The biggest challenge will be in making Jason scary again which is something he hasn't been since The Final Chapter.

I don't mind remakes at all as some remakes are some of my favorite movies ever, The Thing, The Fly, Night of the Living Dead, The Blob -I just want it to be good. A new Jason movie would be welcomed by me but I hope and all I hope is that it entertains and kicks ass.

The biggest challenge will be in making Jason scary again which is something he hasn't been since The Final Chapter.

Ditto on every single word you said.... :rock

Jason is scary? :confused:

I don't mind remakes as long as they bring something new to the table. The Fly and Oceans 11 remakes were better than the originals.

Jason is scary? :confused:

Gather around children.

There was a time when Jason was scary. There was a time where the scariest part of a Friday film was the unmasking (which is something New Line hasn't done since they've acquired the character). There was a time when Jason wasn't someone to root for. Where outrageous latex death and perky breasts would accompany every kill scene.

But that was a long time ago...

Which movies were those? I don't think I've seen them. I've only seen Fridays part 1-8, JGTH, Jason X, and Freddy vs. Jason.

Which movies were those? I don't think I've seen them. I've only seen Fridays part 1-8, JGTH, Jason X, and Freddy vs. Jason.

The first four.

I remember pretty vividly how even the smallest thing had the audience freaking out. When Jason's hand fell off the gurney in the beginning of Final Chapter, people jumped. In contrast to later on when Jason was heavily cheered in theaters.

F13 2 is prolly Jason at his scariest. He would run and chase people. The Hockey Mask is kewl, but that is when the campy stuff started to creep in. 1-4 is still the best.

Back