Overdue on Blu or Special Edition Needed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was going through my movies and realized that a great film from one of my favorite directors, Peter Weir, has never made it to Blu-ray after all this time, the movie is The Mosquito Coast. If you haven't seen it, it is arguably one of Harrison Fords greatest performances, and a great movie to boot. I know it wasn't exactly a blockbuster, but it still deserves the HD treatment.

I also noticed that Conan The Barbarian exists on Blu, only in a bastardized edition. It is the original film with the ending changed to the extended cut. They need to make a edition of this great film with both the theatrical cut and the Extended cut separately in one edition.

Anything you feel is sorely missing on Blu-ray or needs a new edition or special edition?

I think the biggest ones for me are Solaris (the Soderbergh version) and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset. I'm really hoping Criterion will release a Before trilogy boxset at some point. And the unaltered versions of the Star Wars OT, of course, but that goes without saying.

It's also really strange that True Lies and The Abyss still haven't gotten the Blu-ray treatment.

Disney announced that they will be releasing the Original Trilogy Star Wars on Blu-Ray. The Un-Lucased versions. Not sure when, but I'm buying them when they do. I still have mine on VHS.
Ryan

I've always wanted to see Batman: The Animated Series on Blu-Ray, but I understand that there are some logistical implications. I do think it's a crime, though, that no one's done anything with Mask of the Phantasm, when there have been multiple anniversaries.

I'd like Disney to release some of their more obscure live-action films that freaked me out as a kid like Watcher in the Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

It'd also be nice if Whale Rider got an American release.

Peckinpah's 'Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid'. Then again, if they release it, it'll probably be the butchered by the studio 'theatrical version' anyway. Still, I want it.

Oh, and 'The Last Detail' ( Jack Nicholson). "I am the mother********g shore patrol, mother*******r!".

Peckinpah's 'Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid'. Then again, if they release it, it'll probably be the butchered by the studio 'theatrical version' anyway. Still, I want it.

Oh, and 'The Last Detail' ( Jack Nicholson). "I am the mother********g shore patrol, mother*******r!".

The Last Detail was released last month through Twilight Time.

The Last Detail was released last month through Twilight Time.

You know that bit in Raging Bull where Jake Lamotta has to pour ice water on his wang? I may just have to go and do that right now.

Seriously, thanks for sharing. Love that film and was totally unaware it had been released. :yess:

I thought of another film I haven't seen since the days of VHS, Light Years. It was an animated sci-fi film that I quite liked as a teenager. I would very much like to see it again and see if it holds up.

Actually there's been no official announcement. Just rumors, he said/she said, and speculation. Fortunately there are other ways to still get those versions on blu-ray.

I wonder if and when Disney does get around to doing it, will it even look/sound as good as what Harmy did? Look at how sloppy LFL was on the color corrections with all the DVD and Bluray releases. What a joke! The only thing I don't like about Harmy's is he got rid of the "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the title scroll. That addition belongs there as the one off movie became a saga of films. But it's a minor quibble and I don't miss it enough to endure the rest of the crap Lucas added through the years. If Disney does make it, I'm sure they'd keep the newer title intact just as the '95 VHS/Laserdiscs had it.

I think that's the only movie I am waiting to double dip with. I have everything else I want/need.

M
I wonder if and when Disney does get around to doing it, will it even look/sound as good as what Harmy did? Look at how sloppy LFL was on the color corrections with all the DVD and Bluray releases. What a joke! The only thing I don't like about Harmy's is he got rid of the "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the title scroll. That addition belongs there as the one off movie became a saga of films. But it's a minor quibble and I don't miss it enough to endure the rest of the crap Lucas added through the years. If Disney does make it, I'm sure they'd keep the newer title intact just as the '95 VHS/Laserdiscs had it.

I think that's the only movie I am waiting to double dip with. I have everything else I want/need.

It's my understanding that Fox still owns the rights to the OT, or just owns it outright. That doesn't mean they can't release the unaltered OT.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Agreed on Abyss and Solaris remake....haven't seen those in ages. Would like to see on blu. I wanted to get Predator but heard there was a screw-up on the transfer and I don't know which version is best to get.

M

It's my understanding that Fox still owns the rights to the OT, or just owns it outright. That doesn't mean they can't release the unaltered OT.

I think they still have distribution rights to Episode IV specifically, but at this point I'm sure all it means is that Disney has to give them a cut.

M

It was my understanding it was only ANH they still had the rights to somehow or another. But I'm sure Disney and Fox could come to an agreement to line their pockets from the revenue that they'd generate from the release fans have been clamoring for all these years. I don't know. As Khev mentioned, there are ways of getting the original cuts on DVD and Bluray. I would happily buy the real deal from the studios if they make it. But in the meantime I'm not buying anything they put out. I already have the crappy 2004 (and the 2006 rerelease) DVDs.

EDIT - Someone beat me to it.

Michael Mann's The Keep.

One of my absolute favourite films. It's never even been released on DVD, let alone Blu-Ray. It's recently become available via VOD, but the only home media releases were VHS, Betamax and Laserdisc.

There's also a 210 minute director's cut of this film that only one test audience ever saw, before the studio took it out of Mann's hands and cut it down to a barely-coherent 96 minutes. I'd love to see a fully-restored director's cut.

Back