Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Colin Trevorrow confirms that he will continue the trend of shooting on film. :yess:

Star Wars: Episode 9 to Shoot on Film Not Digital - IGN

Colin Trevorrow is looking to keep the Star Wars franchise on film for his entry in the series, and he’s also hoping to shoot some of it far, far away.

“I could never shoot Star Wars on anything but [film] because it’s a period film: It happened a long time ago,” Trevorrow joked, explaining on the panel that he doesn’t like shooting period pieces with digital tools.

“The violinist [at a symphony] is going to choose the best possible violin, of course they will. I choose to shoot with the best possible violin,” he said, elaborating on his mentality for shooting on film and wanting to continue to do so with his Star Wars entry.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was shot on film and Rian Johnson plans to shoot Episode VIII on film as well.

Trevorrow is also hoping to keep his sequel grounded not just in how he shoots the movie, but in what he’s capturing on film.

“I asked the question, ‘Is it possible for us to shoot IMAX film plates in actual space for Star Wars, and I haven’t gotten an answer yet, but they’ve shot IMAX in space,” Trevorrow said on the panel.

Christopher Nolan, who was at the event with Trevorrow, said he had the same conversations before shooting Interstellar, and that now “there’s incredible footage from space” because of their work.

Watch the full panel discussion below on the use of film in the industry below.

Star Wars: Colin Trevorrow says Episode IX will shoot on film | EW.com

Last edited:
I am really liking what I am hearing from him. My expectations are extremely high for this film. I really think it has a chance to be the best of the saga and tie everything from TPM to ROTJ to this all together into one cohesive extraordinary tale.

:rotfl

Still not happy about Trevorrow. I just don't have confidence in him after JW. Shooting on film wouldn't have helped JW!

I think I saw you post that elsewhere, or someone else did. I'm actually happier with him than Gareth Edwards, who seems to understnd monsters way better than humans. But I'm mostly just thankful we dodged the Trank bullet.

:rotfl

I'd rep you if I could.

It's the thought that counts!
:duff

I liked JW when I saw it the one time in the theater. But it evaporated from my brain within a few days and I haven't felt compelled to pick it up. Probably will when it hits the Walmart cheapie bin.

I liked Godzilla in GODZILLA but the humans were tedious. I didn't care for the monsters much in Monsters and the humans were even worse than the Godzilla couple.

I don't think I've seen anything Rian Johnson's done.

I was waiting to see how long it took you to make this thread. :rock

:rock

Still not happy about Trevorrow. I just don't have confidence in him after JW. Shooting on film wouldn't have helped JW!

Apparently not since JW was shot on film. :lol But yes, film format means nothing if the movie stinks. I have a feeling that he's going to try and "redeem" Gungans and midichlorians which could be a bad, bad idea.

I am really liking what I am hearing from him. My expectations are extremely high for this film. I really think it has a chance to be the best of the saga and tie everything from TPM to ROTJ to this all together into one cohesive extraordinary tale.

I could see him trying to pull a "Days of Future Past" that tries to reconcile each and every film in a satisfying way. I guess we'll see.

I'm not familiar with the director, but it's wonderful to read how passionate he is about the film!

Back