Statue Bishoujo - Black Widow: rePaint?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underaglassbell

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

I unfortunately missed out on the release of the 1st 'Black Widow Bishoujo Statue', and on a couple of occasions since when checking intermittently via the well known auction site.
> That is of course excluding the ones now priced at £150+ which I personally think is much to much for the item in question; subjective topic naturally.

I even put up a wanted request on here to buy one - nadda. :huh At which point I figured it was just not meant to be, and a prime example of buy it new avoid faff later hah.

Then just before Christmas a saved search via said know auction site returned a match. Used - but 'like new'. Acceptable price: But the dreaded and go-to eBay description. Still, I thought to make my interest known and ask for verification on the item condition and was told it's new, save the box opening to take pictures.

I subsequently made and offer which was accepted. :yess:

Here comes the tsunami of trouble.

1) A day or three later, I got a message - "Unable to find box" :slap

Instant reaction: "Oh here we go." Seller advised he would use a separate box and pack well. I reluctantly agreed to take the item without the box and a partial refund, as ultimately my only concern was the figure.

2) Yesterday it arrived - Not packed well. Not at all and low and behold there was some obvious paint loss on the hair section, and quite a bit of dust indicating this was not taken out to 'take pictures', but likely left out for a good period of time. :medic

I contacted the seller whom apologized and offered a higher reduction. Suffice it to say I'm not happy with the seller and how this has turned out, but given I finally have the blasted thing ( :gollum: ).

The pictures (attached) show the extent of the problem and I'm just curious as to how easily it would be to try and mask the paint loss - Let it be known I don't have any prior experience to painting statues (etc), so this would be a first.

Sucha shame.. :gah:

Regards,
D

Attachments

• IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 266
Oh dear. :(

That looks like quite a bit of wear. Like it's been scraped on a panel or something. Looks like it's gone down to the bare pvc. I don't think you'll be able to just patch that part. And I think the Koto pieces are spray painted and then assembled. So hand painting it probably isn't going to look right. Maybe a professional could sort it out, but that's likely to cost way more than the statue is worth. Finding such a painter could be a chore. Perhaps try contacting local hobby shops or a warhammer shop and see if any of them know a good local model painter?

Right!? :(:(

Was so disappointed to see it in this condition.

That looks like quite a bit of wear. Like it's been scraped on a panel or something. Looks like it's gone down to the bare pvc. I don't think you'll be able to just patch that part. And I think the Koto pieces are spray painted and then assembled. So hand painting it probably isn't going to look right. Maybe a professional could sort it out, but that's likely to cost way more than the statue is worth. Finding such a painter could be a chore. Perhaps try contacting local hobby shops or a warhammer shop and see if any of them know a good local model painter?

Good thinking. I have a friend who is actually pretty damn good as it so happens, so I may well inquire if he would like to take a crack at it. - I'm not expecting it to be like new, but just to reduce that obvious bold patch (lol).

Regards,
Dan

Barring that, I would have the seller take the piece back. That condition is not acceptable for a piece to arrive in.

That was my initial reaction. However, seller seemingly (I wonder why) didn't want the return and refunded a good portion of the initial monies back, so I have decided to keep her - I'll probably end up with it on my desk at work. If my saved search yields another, I will definitely pick up another - well looked after, or new version.

I would send it back. It looks horrible.

I know, I know. :ohbfrank:

I've been after this one for such a long time, and against my better judgement I decided to keep it with a hefty discount. As noted above I'm going to see if a friend can make it look a little less obvious, but that said at the present I have her stood on my Work Desktop box, and you can't notice it.

IMG_2704.JPG

Good luck! Hope you can get it fixed--I'd remember that seller though to make sure you don't get anything else from him.

I'm into Warhammer and model kits on the side. It would be preferable to repaint all the hair but color matching and blending is not out of the question. Someone competent could do it pretty convincingly. It would be an unusual request for a commission painter. Hopefully your friend can deliver!

Back