Most Defining Or Memorable Moment In Collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedfreak

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all have those times when we have our defining times or something that is really memorable that we will never forget. When it comes to collecting, it was when I stopped with the McFarlene stuff and started collecting the HT AVP kits that defined what I wanted to collect. Those HT 1/6 kits are amazing. Now, I want to start a 1/4 Premium Format collection.

Share your special moments! :D

my defining moment in collecting would be w/ comics. i'd read comics from about the age of 4, but it was always horror comics and mags. Creepy, House of Mystery, Famous Monsters of Filmland, Eerie, ect. i liked the horror comics because they were all self contained stories and not ongoing series. any comic or horror mag was my thing, but i didn't really collect them, as in keeping them in nice shape, caring about complete runs, ect. just kinda curled 'em up, read 'em, and tossed them aside. then one day when i was about 8-9 i picked up a superhero comic off the rack at a local Rink's dept. store. it was X-men 105. been collecting all kindsa stuff since.

My most defining moment has got to be when I first started collectin medicom... I totally skipped out on the any 12" hasbro... so I'm not use to that kind of quality..... I jumped from a few 6" figures straight to medicom.... awsomeness!!

Like many, Star Wars. It leads to everything 1/4 scale, 12", 7", 3 3/4" statues, busts, replica props, costuming, Japanese art vinyl, prints, everything. EVERYTHING! Now I collect other things, but what lead me to each camp? Star Wars. Sideshow? Sure I had SS 7" classic Horror, but the 1/6th and 1/4th? Star Wars got me. Now I have more lines of 1/4 and 1/6, but Star Wars told me to. Star Wars tells me what to do. I am, without regard, George Lucas' slave, and I'm not ashamed. Star Wars is everything in collecting.

When I bought Jason part 3 from Sideshow, reinforced by the Nostalgic memories of my youth about this movie,My hobby of collecting changed into an obsession...

I have to say that buying my first comic (Iron Man) at about age 5 or 6 started the whole thing even though I wasn't buying them to collect. The other two that really got me back into collecting would be finding that Ultimate Soldier Navy Seal in KB Toys and finding the first modern seal from Dragon in a collectables store in Buena Park. Both of those times cemented me firmly in 1/6 scale collectables. I had bought 1/6 figures before when GI Joe started the Real Action Hero 1/6 line but that interest died off fast after just a few.

When I quit Star Wars. Star Wars introduced me to collecting, but it wasn't really until I made that decision to quit it that my collection really took shape and became what it is now.

Defining moment in collecting? Hmm....

I guess that would have to be when I failed to place an order for the non-attendee Luke Skywalker SDCC exclusive PF, even though I was there at the scheduled time refreshing the page like mad. It sold out before I could get the page to load.

I thought about it for maybe ten seconds, and then decided to drive down to San Diego just to get one in person. I decided that I would do whatever it took to have every exclusive Star Wars PF produced--no matter what. I suppose that was the momentous decision that turned me from a casual collector into a lunatic completist. And once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny, etc.

By the way--it's been five months. Where's the next Star Wars PF?!?

When I got the Live and Let Die James Bond doll. It was the one that started me collecting Sideshow stuff.

Defining moment? Hmmmm, I believe that would be when Ideal introduced Captain Action and I became obsessed with finding out how many figures I could make out of the ones I already had.

Finally quitting collecting Hasbro 3 3/4 Star Wars stuff last year to collect 1/6 figures. Sideshow helped regain my intrest in collecting with Jedi Luke but my initial enthusiasm soon vanished once it became apparent how third rate their 1/6 figures are and I ended up selling the ones I had and I started looking for some 1/6 stuff that had more to offer than nice headsculpts. So far I've got Medicom's Jack Sparrow and the Enterbay Bruce Lee and they are easily the best collectibles I've ever bought. I may not have a big collection (yet) but I'll take quality over quantity every time.

My defining moment in collecting was when I accidentally stumbled upon the Sideshow site.....and I've been a rapid fan ever since.....:lol

The other defining moment was when I was cheated by that M person of my much-coveted RH Han Solo......:emperor I almost wanted to quit collecting after that.....

and then, someone from this board saved the day and sold me the RH Solo.....:chew

I dumped my toy collecting a few months ago and sold everything. It wasn't that I needed the money. I lost my passion for collecting that started 10 years ago when Hasbro released their Star Wars POTF2 figures.

It took me one day to see how much I accumulated during that timespan sitting (in boxes) in storage (all MOC). I had about 17 boxes filled with things I collected over time (besides SW). It was definately my most defining moment because collecting these things were a force of habit. And I finally stopped, starting yet another collection in it's place...

I saw the high quality products Sideshow was churning out over the past year. I thought that the PF's would be amazing in a movie room. Best of all...they look better outside of the package!! I've been collecting ever since I stopped "toy" collecting slowly building a greater, more impressive collection...

I don't know if it was defining, but it was the single greatest day in my collecting life.....

The day I got my Legend Darkness bust in. It was literally a dream come true to own this awesome work of art,it changed the way I looked at collecting.

When I made a $900 purchase on a "collectible", I knew nothing was gonna be the same.

my defining moment? , when my parents told me to stop wasting money on toys when i was like 13 years old. Never stopped since then and even converted them to the collecting ways. now they even buy figures for me. lol

My most defining moment has got to be when I first started collectin Sideshow... I totally skipped out on the any 12" hasbro... so I'm not use to that kind of quality..... I jumped from a few 6" figures straight to Sideshow.... awsomeness!!

Back