Can Marvel Legends and Hot Toys Co-Exist, Peacefully?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sensible, or Cluttered?

I figured Hot Toys will never make most of these pre-IRON MAN film characters, so I dragged my Marvel Legends out of storage. That said, they might go back to storage once more MCU characters ship.

For the record, my HT Spidey, Wolverine and Ghost Rider are in another case. Unfortunately, I missed out on Blade, so I'm settling for the 6".

In this world of flavor of the month collecting, would there be any real interest in Raimi-era villains, Bryan Singer X-Men, or Tim Story Fantastic Four figs from Hot Toys? Or is this ML/HT hodgepodge as good as we're gonna get?

I have all different scales of figs too and have done similar displays on occasion but I always revert back to 1-3 HT figs per shelf maximum. The smaller figs get a shelf or display case of their own or get punted back into storage. :lol

If you're happy with your display that's all that matters :rock

Like Yankee said collections are personal, it is what you like since you are living a seeing it every day. I prefer to keep scales apart because either the smaller pieces end up making the larger pieces look more toyish (even though they are all dollies) or the Larger scale like 1/4 scale takes away from the 12 inch figures.

If you like it that's cool, you may want to see if you could find something to make a riser and you could consolidate your smaller figures in two shelves and can get them above to fill in the space and be able to see all their details instead of having limited views with them all set on the shelf.

I've done a similar setup since I lack space and can only afford a few cabs at the moment. :)

Took a photo before I rearranged the whole display again. I had no choice but to take out Hulk, Iron Monger and 1/4 Endoskeleton for the meantime. Yeah, I know the led installation can be better but it's a temporary setup for now. :D

cab1-0614_zpsdfaaab64.jpg~original

Last edited:
I mean no offense but personally (and that is just my opinion) it doesn't work.

The scales just make it look weird and most of all the smaller cheaper figures bring down the quality of whole display mixing expensive high quality figures with mass produced toys. I say this as a collector of 4inch and 6inch "toys" as well. If you must display them i would have them separated from your sixth scale.

That being said it is your display and your figures and the most important thing is that you like it so if you do then to hell with everyone else.

Toyrewind, you can also add another shelf above Hulk by doing the wire clamp mod. That would give you more space for your mini figs.
If you're unfamiliar with it check out the thread in the 'How to display your collectibles' section.
You can find them at your local hardware store for less than a dollar each, you'll need 4 minimum.

27050.jpg

@yankee

yup, saw that thread already but unfortunately the poles of my cab are much thicker than the detolfs. The poles are few millimeteres thicker than a AA battery. I tried searching for wire clamps with the correct size but didn't find one. :(

Like what Yankee said, if you're happy with the way your collection's displayed, that's all that matters :)

Personally though, I prefer segregating the figures by scale, though you can see that some are still mixed up in mine. I'm having an overhead shelf made for my 1/4 figures so I could leave Monger in and be able to display Hulk finally.

@Toyrewind -- again I agree with Yankee, you can add another shelf in your detolf that can surely accommodate your smaller figures :) I was able to use the small space left in my detolfs to house the 1:18 Batmobiles, 1:12 Batman figures, and NECA ED 209.

EDIT: I see that we have the same detolf and yeah, there's no U-bolt that would fit. I used 8-inch industrial screws as posts on mine. Painted it black, zip-tied it on to the posts of the detolf. I placed rubber stoppers on each screw head for the glass shelf to lay on. It provided a 9" shelf space at the bottom of my detolf :)

P6240699_zpsa06a49c8.jpg

@heubert

Do you have a clearer photo of the industrial screws? Or maybe a closer photo of how you installed it. That might be the solution I need. :)

Looking good HeubertMichael and good advice :clap Hopefully, you can set him up so toyrewind will have an extra shelf :rock

Looking good HeubertMichael and good advice :clap Hopefully, you can set him up so toyrewind will have an extra shelf :rock

Thanks buddy! :hi5:

@heubert

Do you have a clearer photo of the industrial screws? Or maybe a closer photo of how you installed it. That might be the solution I need. :)

Sure thing! Unfortunately I no longer have loose ones as I've used all 8 of them on both of my detolfs, but I guess you can still see how it looks like on these pics.

Again these screws are a 8" in length (a few mm longer than 8", actually), with a diameter of almost 1/8 of an inch. I spraypainted them to avoid corrosion. I bought them at a construction hardware.

I used zipties to attach each screw on each corner post of the detolf. In between the Detolf Post and the screw I placed a rubber filler so that it won't move (it's covered with tape, and is on top and bottom of each screw/post). Then on top of each screw I placed those rubber stoppers you can buy from hardwares and home depots, for the glass shelf to sit on to. I think I placed another stopper at the bottom of each screw as well :) Hope this helps!

P6240701_zps27ebb584.jpg

P6240700_zps88ff9306.jpg

Back