4-year old dies from swallowing a lithium battery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently not a parent...

I hope not.

The story that got me this week was the man that took the baby out of the shopping cart and then held a knife to her. Luckily police were able to shoot the lunatic and save the girl.

I hope not.

The story that got me this week was the man that took the baby out of the shopping cart and then held a knife to her. Luckily police were able to shoot the lunatic and save the girl.

Whether he is or not, it shouldn't matter. Mouth and brain (well, fingers in this case), do not always make that connection. Some people let their asses do the talking/thinking for them.

Last edited:
Another cynic. lol

I can see your perspective, but it's still a sensitive subject to some. I can understand why it would be. Not every kid that chokes on something comes with the same deadly end result. In this case, it did.

Sad.

I know it wasn't labeled but it's interesting that he was 4 because most things are labeled ages 3 and up for choking hazards I think....

Another cynic. lol

I can see your perspective, but it's still a sensitive subject to some. I can understand why it would be. Not every kid that chokes on something comes with the same deadly end result. In this case, it did.

It's not about the kid dying it's about how pointing out that something small is a potential choking hazard for a child is not anything new.

It's not about the kid dying it's about how pointing out that something small is a potential choking hazard for a child is not anything new.

I get that. Thus the reason I said, I understand your perspective, but right now it's not a good one to put out there. It comes off insensitive and ignorant, despite that there is truth to what you said. Some things shouldn't be said at certain times. There is a time and place for things to be said, this is not one of those times.

Yes. Mr. Green is right. We should start a thread for Every. Single. Thing. happening in the world. If we fail to do that, no one should take notice of anything as insignificant as a 4 year old dying.

:monkey3

I think this thread shouldn't have been put up in the first place. I can agree with that, because where does it stop? There are countless awful stories every day. However, making insensitive comments of the situation... That I have an issue with.

Either way, it's a touchy subject.

Kids will be Kids, and sometimes these situation are unavoidable. Kids are always chewing on things. Can't keep your eyes on them 100% of the time.

The point of this thread wasn't simply to highlight another tragedy but to point out, on a toy forum where many of us have these things in our houses, that lithium batteries present a particularly nasty swallowing hazard because of how the batteries interact with saliva. As a parent myself I was unaware of how dangerous they can be, beyond just being a choking hazard - as opposed to a piece of Lego or some such - and thought a bit of awareness as being a good thing.

Settle down, new-thread nazis.

The point of this thread wasn't simply to highlight another tragedy but to point out, on a toy forum where many of us have these things in our houses, that lithium batteries present a particularly nasty swallowing hazard because of how the batteries interact with saliva. I myself was unaware of how dangerous they can be -as opposed to a piece of Lego or some such - and thought a bit of awareness as being a good thing.

Settle down, new-thread nazis.

lol Love that, new-thread nazis. lol

You didn't know swallowing batteries was dangerous??

Wow.

If your question is "did I know that the electrical reaction between the battery and saliva could burn a hole in your oesophagus and keep on burning right through your gut if initially caught in your throat", then no, I wasn't aware of that.

Guess I'm on my own in not knowing that. Sometimes I suck at common sense I suppose.

W/o looking for an arguement about the thread itself, yea I thought it was pretty common knowlege that batteries contained sulfuric acid. Maybe not to a child though.

Also I know people use Lithium batteries to make meth. Some stores teach their workers to watch for people buying large quanities of them.

W/o looking for an arguement about the thread itself, yea I thought it was pretty common knowlege that batteries contained sulfuric acid. Maybe not to a child though.

Also I know people use Lithium batteries to make meth. Some stores teach their workers to watch for people buying large quanities of them.

Keep it coming guys. I haven't felt this dumb in a while :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back