Premium Format Vader Comparison - Opinions and Comments Welcomed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, a little backstory. I owned a PF Vader back when they were new - heck, I ordered it 2 days after seeing M. Crawford's review. I ordered the regular edition. However, the pose never really did much for me. Well, about a month ago, I got the itch to create a PF Vader vs. Obi scene after getting an Exclusive Kenobi way under MSRP. So, I bought another PF regular edition off eBay. Well, not 2 weeks later, I managed to find an exclusive one for 243 dollars. I jumped at the chance to buy it. I ended up trading/selling the regular to another forum member. Well, 2 days ago, I got both of them out. Up until this point, I had only opened the boxes to verify there was no damage. Well, after setting them up, I noticed something - they are posed differently. Now, the change is not that big in terms of part movement. However, I think it changes the pose drastically. Here are a few examples:

SUNP0011.jpg

The one on the left is the regular edition. The one on the right is the exclusive version. I left off the capes because the cut down visibility of the body changes.

SUNP0007.jpg

SUNP0001.jpg

The first one I bought was a regular edition and looked just like the regular version on the left. I remember getting into arguments back then when I voiced dislike for the pose Vader was in. I felt it seemed too pre-disposed to a dueling scene.. it wouldn't work well by itself. Well, I still feel that way about the one on the left. However, the one on the right looks great posed by itself. Vader seems more regal and commanding. Was there a difference in poses for the regular and exc. versions? If not, what accounts for the differences in poses? While it doesn't show up as well in the pics, the hand placement on the lightsabers is also slightly different. Okay, off to mail the sold Vader before the forum member comes looking for me :D But I look forward to your discussion and info this evening.

P.S. Before someone asks, both figures are displayed at the same angle (I used a level to make sure the bases were line up together), and both figures are completely inserted into their stand connectors.

The pose on the right, witrh Vader's head angles the way it is, does lend itself a bit more dramatically. Weird that they would be so different.

I see some difference to the head positions, but I am not sure if it is more to do with the pic angles? Can you post a pic with them both looking head-on (applied directly to the forehead :monkey1 )?

DouglasMcc;

Do you have any other Vader or did you see Attakus Vader?

I am still on the fence to buy PF Vader because.
Somehow withouth the cape it looks not so impressive and I agree with your dislike with the pose

Post some wider shots from about 10'-15' away with both statue's looking head on. Better to see the whole thing.

Sorry gang, the regular version is already in the mail to Oldschool Jawa as we speak. The closest pics I have left close to what you are asking for is:

SUNP0004-1.jpg

And

SUNP0024.jpg

Well there is bound to be some variation from piece to piece, but the only area where this is really noticeable to me anyway is the head position. Even that, I am not sure about because of the picture angles. :confused:

LOTRFan said:
Well there is bound to be some variation from piece to piece, but the only area where this is really noticeable to me anyway is the head position. Even that, I am not sure about because of the picture angles. :confused:

Agreed; although, it looks like the head position on the regular Vader is lower than on the exclusive. I'm sure this is not the case with all the reg's and exclusives; and, I agree with Matt that there will be some variation from piece to piece. Still, more pics are needed. Eh...

LOTRFan said:

I mean no offense, but the difference is obviously not the camera angles. All the pictures are taken from eye level (I am 5'10") on a completely flat dresser. The bases are positioned used the straight line of the end of the dresser as a marker. I have taken pictures from every angle. The saber placement is slightly different. Also, it pretty obvious that the shoulder pads are spaced differently. All in all, small derivations... but they make a huge difference in presentation, as far as I am concerned.

Has anyone else noticed variations such as this?

DouglasMcc said:
I mean no offense, but the difference is obviously not the camera angles. All the pictures are taken from eye level (I am 5'10") on a completely flat dresser. The bases are positioned used the straight line of the end of the dresser as a marker. I have taken pictures from every angle. The saber placement is slightly different. Also, it pretty obvious that the shoulder pads are spaced differently. All in all, small derivations... but they make a huge difference in presentation, as far as I am concerned.

Has anyone else noticed variations such as this?

None taken.

Every angle but head on, which would have really been helpful. :lol

LOTRFan said:
None taken.

Every angle but head on, which would have really been helpful. :lol

Actually, every time I aimed for a completely head on view, the sabers obscured their helmets. Sure, could have removed the sabers, but I didn't think of that until later.

However, I have yet to get any comments on the actual poses due to the derivation. I keep the one on the right because it was the exclusive. But I also like that pose better for posing alone. It looks much more natural. Which ones would you choose?

P.S. The only problem I have with the one I kept (the one on the right) are 3 small patches of silver color on the chest neckguard piece (at the bottom, its the section in between the 2 black stripes. In the pictures, it kind of looks like flash, but its not. What color would be the best match to do a little touch up? An exact color and type of paint would be appreciated. Thanks.

how much do these sell for? Tempting to get one, rip it apart and repose it completely......

There does appear to be some slight difference between the two. Looking at my regular, it seems to match more closely to the one on the right.

Slight difference....any chance you want to sell me one of those lightsaber attachments:D Mine was shattered.:monkey2

Agent0028 said:
There does appear to be some slight difference between the two. Looking at my regular, it seems to match more closely to the one on the right.

Yeah, it looks like the helmets may be positioned slightly different; but it's hard to tell due to the poor pics.

DouglasMcc said:

My regular version looks different from your regular version. My saber is off to the side more while looking straight on at the head. Your saber seems to be more in the way of the head. It looks as if my head is turned more which looks more like the photos at Sideshow site. The Saber in your photo also seems to be held straighter, while mine is tilted off to the left. Your comparison looks like there are differences also. I like the one on the left.

Again mine seems to look more like the one on the sideshow site. The one you have on the left looks very different. I would not be happy with that one.

Vader005.jpg

Haydenfriendsandbrody118.jpg

7117.jpg

Anyone think we're ever gonna get another PF Vader (ep 5 or 6 orI guess 3) I only ask because I've been passing some good deals lately for one and I can't afford it, but I'm sure in the future I can. I don't know if I should bite now (which involves selling s few things), or wait and see if a ROTJ or ESB one comes out.

Back