• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Did I just get scammed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblastSRT4

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt know where to post this but I recently sold a Normal Kratos Sideshow Statue on ebay for 450 + shipping, packed him up nicely in the original box, double checked to make sure I had his body, both hands and base secured nicely inside the foam casing, then taped it up and put it inside the Kratos box. Took it to UPS store and had them put it in a brown shipper and properly secured. I got a message today that he got the box but its missing the left hand. There is a 0% chance I 'misplaced' the hand. It got shipped, it was sealed and I even triple checked it. The only thing I can think of is either a) he lost it in his house when he was unboxing it or b) he is lying, took the hand for a kratos statue he has (with probably a broken/missing hand) then turns around and says my statue is missing a hand, wants a refund.

So basically I'm screwed and am going to have to refund this guy and get back a hand-less Kratos?

*sigh*

Even all of the pictures I posted on Ebay were date/time stamped showing him in clear high res with all his pieces. This just doesnt make sense to me. Its not even about the money, Id have no problem refunding someone if I got my statue back but now I'm gettin back a worthless Kratos.

Any ideas? Will ebay even LISTEN to the seller when it comes to these things?

This is what get scammed on eBay as well, they received something and says its missing.

Without a doubt I am doing that from now on, its just a bit ridiculous that someone would do that especially when they seem like a good ebay buyer. The weird thing is on the phone he told me he was going to 'resell' it, yet he has never sold anything on ebay, just bought. I think hes playing the system and screwed me. He said the packaged came to him sealed and in good condition so there is 0% chance the hand 'fell out'. Damn this sucks.

if you provided actual pictures of the so called "missing part" than you should fight it! you should tell them with all certainty you made sure it was packaged and shipped. Also mention the scam so they understand what possible scenarios this situation presents.

What is the buyer asking for? You said a refund, but is it a partial refund or a complete refund?

Unless he screws up the claims process it is ebay policy to side with the buyer. You would have to appeal their decision - even then it will be tough. If nothing has happened yet, then I would recommend calling ebay.

He wants a complete refund because the statue is 'worthless without a hand'. Yea, how does he think I will feel when I get this statue back without a hand when its been in my collection since day 1 in perfect condition. He's just being sketchy because I gave him my phone # and he called and said we can work something out, like he will see if he can find a hand, or if I can, or check with UPS insurance etc but the MOMENT i got off the phone with him he had a complaint/case sent to me.

Should I refund him and just use this as a learning experience or should I have ebay step in and fight it? The last thing I want is negative feedback though.

Any chance this statue is worth anything without his left hand? I don't even want it handless...id re-sell it on ebay.

edit: oh and he wants a complete refund *450+ 30 shipping* PLUS the cost to ship it back to me. So not only do I get back a crippled Kratos, I have to pay him money. Nice.

We keep going back and forth in the resolution center with a 'he said, she said' routine. He keeps saying if I find a hand he will keep a statue. He knows damn well I won't find a hand.

robocop-hand-off.jpg

And yes, you are getting scammmed.

Will ebay hear me out if you call them or is my only option replying via the resolution center crap where I have to have ebay work it out, but all decisions are final? Like will ebay even contact me, or will they just look at our conversation and make a decision?

Welcome to the world of policies my friend... Ebay is okay when ya buy, but other way around? It's a whole new ballgame...

Thanks for the support. I will call Paypal tomorrow. The buyer has said he will give me a few days to figure out what I want to do. I'll use this time to try and tell Paypal whats going on and hopefully they believe me. You would think they know some of the scams going on, especially with these high priced statues/figures.

Anything the buyer tells you over the phone can't be used against him as you have no proof you can show to ebay or paypal.

under no circumstances will you have to pay him to ship it back. If you don't call anyone, 99% they will rule in favour of the buyer, but he'll have to ship it back at his own cost. Don't listen to him tell you that you have to pay his return shipping.

The cold hard truth is that you're very at risk when you sell on ebay. Especially if you're new (I have no idea if you are or not) to selling, then some people will believe that they can take advantage of you since you won't know the ins and outs.

Welp, thats that. He wins, I lose. I told you there was something sketchy about this guy and I was right. On the phone he said we can work this out, minute I get off the phone he files a complaint. Then in the complaint center, we keep messaging eachother and he says he will give me a few days to find a replacement hand and I know its a hail mary but whatever, at least hes giving me the opportunity right? a minute later he escalates the issue with Ebay and wants an immediate refund.

So I call and tell the nice girl my issue and she completely understands and actually believes me, but she said since he escalated the issue and provided pics they have to return/refund the item, but at least the shipping doesnt come out of my pocket. She said the best thing to do is take pictures of the package being sent at the Fedex/UPS facility. Yea like thats practical. Taking a fragile statue out of the box at UPS...

Anyway thanks everyone for the help. Now time to find me another Kratos and/or hand. :/

This is why I quit selling on ebay, when 10% of my sales became "item didn't arrive, item is broken" stuff it got quite ridiculous, luckily I photographed everything and won each issue, but the toll it takes on your mind is one not worth the time.

My advice is to fight it, he doesn't have any proof of how he opened it, or put it after opening, or if an animal in the house may have got a hold of it. Chances are 50/50 as far as I can see.

Maybe this gives me the incentive to buy an EX Kratos instead of a Reg. There's light at the end of the tunnel right?

Back