How would you recommend I get glass doors for this?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
0aa07e05b782a08f08f411f2dd5ea0a2_zps363b11e6.jpg

I cant get Besta doors as those only take up one shelf and my shelves are of different sizes and staggered because of different sized statues. I called a glass cutter today and he said for the size glass I would need would cost $500. No thank you. Any suggestions? They are welcome.

I would imagine you'll have difficulties finding glass doors that fit snugly, and the costs/effort of findings something close to compatible, then buying it and transporting the doors. . .why not just buy a new display cabinet with glass doors already applied?

I see you are in NYC too, $500.00 for the glass is ridiculous. Try a different glass shop maybe outside of Manhattan. My wife and I just bought a glass top for our dining room table (very large) for $85.00 delivered.

I just bought and put together this Besta. And I bought and hooked up lights to it. And it fits all my statues perfectly. I really don't want to give it up.

I called another place and they said it would be $500 too. I just don't understand how friggin piece of glass can be worth $500. Hmmm. I really do want them behind glass though. Maybe if I save up enough in these next few months ill do it. But it feels like they're raping and, gotta say, it doesn't feel so good.

Anyone else have any further suggestions? Thanks guys.

Some kind of glass alternative like plexiglass may not be a bad solution. You can probably get that done at a hardware store for a fraction of what you are quoted for the glass, and the installation wouldn't seem to be very difficult.

I would just get two billy bookcases and buy the doors for them. All of those pieces look like they would fit just fine.

Billy bookcase sounds good. Ill check that out when I have money....Deadpool PF, Batman PF, Obi-wan Mythos, PCS Sagat, Arthas! Ahhhhh. Mi cabesa

Should be a hell of a lot cheaper just to have them cut the glass.

My Spider-man comiquette literally sticks out about half and inch outside the enclosure. Any ideas on what I could do about that? Thanks everyone.

Billy bookcase sounds good. Ill check that out when I have money....Deadpool PF, Batman PF, Obi-wan Mythos, PCS Sagat, Arthas! Ahhhhh. Mi cabesa

Should be a hell of a lot cheaper just to have them cut the glass.

My Spider-man comiquette literally sticks out about half and inch outside the enclosure. Any ideas on what I could do about that? Thanks everyone.

I think the max depth in the Billy is 11" so I would double check all your statues to make sure your premiums will fit.
:wave

Thing is I'd have to buy the whole billy book case. I don't think I get just the glass. Not sure i wanna do that but it is cheaper than $500 - $650. I'd have to get the glass cut on the Billy too, to fit my Besta

Whatever glass you decide to get (long or individual), you will need to really run the lights through the back. Get a drill bit and punch out holes. This is just MO.

If you're into Ikea hacking, take careful note of the dimensions and then do a glass search on their web site. You can even look at Pax glass doors, etc. Just keep in mind that you can't cut or otherwise modify (drill, etc) any Ikea glass as it's all tempered. Ultimately you might even consider swapping out the Besta for something else that has a mating glass door from them.

I called a glass cutter today and he said for the size glass I would need would cost $500.

Keep looking at different glass suppliers. For $500 I can buy glass for a complete shower, 3/8" thick and tempered - at least 1 wall, probably two, and 1 door plus fittings and silicone.

BTW, you might want to check Home Depot in your area to see if they sell glass.

I just purchased two regular float/annealed glass panels, 1/4" thick, 30" x 64" with four polished edges for $75 Canadian each (North of Toronto in Vaughan). It's a 40 minute drive. A more local supplier (West of Toronto) would probably be $300 for both.

Also, don't leave it up to the glass cutter to tell you what you need. Don't even tell them what it's for. Just specify the dimensions and properties you're looking for. If you're actually *in* Manhattan, try somewhere in the suburbs if you have to. Or in Jersey.

You won't need more than 1/4. 1/8" might be fine. You also don't need it to be tempered (though it's stronger and safer in case of breakage). You do need all four sides of each piece to be polished to prevent a cutting hazard. You have various options for hinges - pre-drill the glass or use slide-in hinges like many of the lower-priced Ikea cabinets. These can be bought from Home Depot and online on eBay for pretty cheap (especially if you need a bunch of them. Chrome, black, white, brass, whatever floats your boat. :) You can pick up suitable slip-on locks on eBay as well. No more than $5 ea.

Acrylic/Perspect/Acrylite/Lexan and other polymers are generally going to cost you much more than an equivalent sized piece of glass, for both width/length as well as thickness, even if you go to a decent plastics supplier.

Last edited:
A Billy looks like a great solutioon, but it's center shelf is fixed and can not be moved at all which is the only reason I haven't bought one.

If you follow the instructions pricelessly, no, you can't move the shelf. If you make your own holes however, you can mount a fixed shelf anywhere you want.

Everything from Ikea is hackable. :) And since you're in Toronto, you have an advantage over most other people of a choice between multiple Ikea locations to visit, checking out their AS-IS sections in the process. Plus of course Kijiji where there's almost always a Billy of some sort for sale.

Back