Premium Format Why are the evil characters more desirable?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisClassics

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I have been looking around a lot, and making a wish-list for myself of Premium Formats that I really, really want.

What has come to my mind during this is the fact that most of the statues that I really want feature evil, nasty characters...

Such as, Darth Talon, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, General Grievous, Darth Vader, Asajj Ventress.

1. Are the "evil" characters just more cool and better looking?

2. Why doesn't any "good" characters spring to mind? Is Star Wars just full of evil people? Or are the "good" guys just plain boring?

3. Is Sideshow just more interested in depicting the evil guys? Or are they just easier to depict?

Anyone got some thoughts on this?

Bad guys are cooler.

I was expecting that one. :)

But what if they made, say, Aayla Secura in some sexy pose similar to Darth Talon? I would imagine that it would be a seller...

But the question is, why haven't they? Come to think of it, are there any really awesome "good" character PF?

yes bad guys are always cooler.

And a lot of the times the overall design of good guys can be kinda boring to help the common viewer relate to and care more about them.
WHile the bad guys kind of have creative freedom to look as gross or cool as they want.

So you think that it would require some artistic freedom from Sideshow in order to make "good" characters more interesting?

Darth Talon, I get it, she's all about the... well you know... I imagine this is an easy personality trait to portray in a statue.
Jedi are obviously more calm, unemotional and gathered. So it would require quite an effort from Sideshow to portray these characters in an equally alluring pose.

So, has Sideshow failed in this regard, and just went with what already worked? Should they make use of some artistic freedom and portray the good guys in some more "catchy" poses?

Nerds are naturally drawn to sexy nerdy stuff. Sexified female statues will probably sell whether the character is evil or not. For example, I'd think Sideshow would be tempted to make a Shaak Ti PF in her sexy outfit from the Force Unleashed game rather than her more traditional and reserved look if they made her.

ShaakTi_tfu.jpg

It just seems like Sideshow is holding back in regard to "sexy good guys". Likely because they wish to stick 100% to the lore and personality traits of the character. Which is a shame in my opinion.

every person's fantasy involves being the bad guy, getting away with it, or dating the bad girl or bad guy.

I actually thought the same thing the other day when I was looking over my collection. In terms of my more expensive stuff I only have the Jedi Luke PF. Everything else is on the evil side. Chewie kicks ass but would be daunting to do correctly in any format. So, we're always kinds screwed with that cool good character.

The PT Yoda has some cool stuff out there though.

I think Yoda, Chewie, R2D2, C3PO and Aayla are up there in terms of popularity in my book.

Other than that, some of the masks and costumes of the baddies are pretty interesting. Vader and Maul come to mind.

The majority of the good guys in the Star Wars universe are mostly plain looking humans. Where the bad guys look like cool looking demons or just have a unique look about them that says bad ass. I would much rather hang out with the Siths then the Jedis who in my opinion have no personality and are stuck up.
By the way I cheered in the theater when Darth Vader chopped off Luke Skywalker's hand. :lol

Very sadly, surfin, that is true.

Should they make use of some artistic freedom and portray the good guys in some more "catchy" poses?

Don't forget about the upcoming statue series including "Outlander Obi Wan", some off-screen version of Boba Fett and the like. I think what you're suggesting is exactly what they are working on.

My thoughts on your original question: Good guys represent calm, good, and peace. They are never what drives a story. It was a Disney Halloween special in the early 80's that made me realize the hero is nothing without the villain. In the case of this thread, they are not only bad by behavior, but they are usually menacing to look at and create an emotional reaction just by their appearance.

And like somebody else mentioned, the bad guys do the things which our human nature wishes we could get away with, but for most of us, we are held back by our own morals, spiritual convictions, fear of law, or just plain cowardice. Villains seem free and powerful until they are ultimately destroyed to reinforce in us that good, though seemingly boring, is always the better choice.

Back