1/6 Third Party Star Wars: Legends?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me bootleg is something that is at least 80% copy. Fire Toys comes to mind. 3rd party would be companies/people who make figures that are of a certain character but the makers do not hold the licensing rights to sell products. They still need to make the parts for the figure and do some R&D while bootleg will probably just buy an original and copy the parts of the original. Both bootleg and 3rd party are technically illegal but bootlegs are much worst than 3rd party in terms of ethics if you ask me.

Your definition is incorrect.

A bootleg is original work, that is unauthorized.

A knock-off is a copy, that is unauthorized.

This is why you have bootleg recordings, which is when someone records a concert, without the band's permission. The recording can be great quality, recorded direct from the soundboard, but it is unauthorized. VTS, SooSoo, Toys Era are bootleg companies, they make their own figures.

You can have knock-off sneakers and handbags, which are copies of the original work. Redman and Present Toys make knock-offs, they are copies of existing figures.

You can have a knock-off of a bootleg. But you can't have a bootleg of a knock-off, only a knock-off of a knock-off.

People are using the term 'third party' to cover both bootlegs and knock-offs, which is what I am against.

Was wondering if there is any chance for some day seeing third-party 1/6 figures released of Legends characters, that are no longer apart of the canon and extremely unlikely to ever receive officially licensed releases.

Characters like:

Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors
Dash Rendar
Mara Jade
Darth Revan
Malak
etc. etc.

Is there any interest amongst the community for something like that? Would love to hear thoughts and ideas.

The third party outfits that produce figures on a large scale are still operating as a business, albeit a back alley one. They make figures to fill a void or niche to try to fill gaps in lineups or to meet a demand that already exists. At the end of the day, they exist to make money.

Despite still being beloved characters by many ardent fans (myself included), I find it unlikely that EU characters would have enough broad market appeal to warrant taking a risk on producing them.

It's the sort of thing that I could see an artist that's passionate about a character making small runs at very high prices, or getting a one off custom made.

I forgot there's a KO set of Ep3 Anakin's clothes+KO head, I guess it counts as something else. I remember seeing a Fire Toys preorder for TLJ Leia in a simlar way, clothes + head, but I don't know if that ever came out.

Back