Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched Fury Road again for the first time since my two viewings of Furiosa. WOW!

SUCH an epic and satisfying four and a half hour saga! :thud:

I think the only thing that didn't sync perfectly was Furiosa's arm being cut off past the elbow in FR and before the elbow in Furiosa? Or am I just misremembering Furiosa? I'm trying to picture her arm dangling from that chain and maybe it didn't have an elbow...

Anyway holy crap do these movies compliment each other perfectly. I love that we now have an entire other film specifically setting her up as a badass sniper as setup for that moment when they're stuck in the mud and Max decides to let her take the last shot against the Bullet Farmer.

Those crow people walking around on stilts as they drive by are now like Max's cameo in Furiosa, lol.

I had forgotten that Furiosa puts on the black bandana and goggles before driving into the sandstorm just like she wore when going after Dementus.

Furiosa telling the remaining ladies from the green place about her mom's death has so much more meaning now.

It kind of sucked watching grown up Valkyrie also being a badass in her own right before being flattened by Gas Town guy.

Fury Road was always awesome but now I'm just totally blown away that we'll always have this amazing one-two punch of both films together going forward now.

He's a good scene writer , but has successfully destroyed just about every film he has made going for the "shock" tarentino ending.....Inglorious Bastards may be one o the best films made until the last 20 minutes....is a goddamn horror show what he does to the films he makes. And it mocks everything that came before it.

Making an over the top ending on such a serious film is like a slap in the face to me.

To each his own .....but imagine Resevuoir Dogs where some rando homeless person comes in with a flame thrower and toasts the entire cast before the Mexican showdown....

Had he made that film 25 years later that probably what we would have seen.

He bought into his own hype, and his films are chararatures of what He thinks people expect from him.

Same and M Night ..

It may shock you to learn people have various opinions that may differ from your own.
It doesn’t shock me at all with various opinions, by all means to each their own. :lol

I do agree that his recent films have that “shock” ending- but that’s what’s make them great. You know it’s coming but not how or why they’re coming. There’s plenty of films with endings like that and the fact is Tarantino does them right, without the norm way of doing things…. long overdrawn character monologue with a sunset in the background etc. (Furiosa for example) The shock is what makes it good, it being out of left field but *still* making sense is what makes it great. We all knew that Furiosa would kill Dementus, and you could see from a mile away how’d she go about it. He doesn’t turn it into a “twist” or a “gotchya” or a “service” moment. He gives his audience what they want in an unexpected way. Which I really respect because so far, he’s one of the only people to do it right.

Just watched Fury Road again for the first time since my two viewings of Furiosa. WOW!

I think the only thing that didn't sync perfectly was Furiosa's arm being cut off past the elbow in FR and before the elbow in Furiosa? Or am I just misremembering Furiosa? I'm trying to picture her arm dangling from that chain and maybe it didn't have an elbow...

Anyway holy crap do these movies compliment each other perfectly. I love that we now have an entire other film specifically setting her up as a badass sniper as setup for that moment when they're stuck in the mud and Max decides to let her take the last shot against the Bullet Farmer.

Those crow people walking around on stilts as they drive by are now like Max's cameo in Furiosa, lol.

I had forgotten that Furiosa puts on the black bandana and goggles before driving into the sandstorm just like she wore when going after Dementus.

Furiosa telling the remaining ladies from the green place about her mom's death has so much more meaning now.

It kind of sucked watching grown up Valkyrie also being a badass in her own right before being flattened by Gas Town guy.

Fury Road was always awesome but now I'm just totally blown away that we'll always have this amazing one-two punch of both films together going forward now.
I will admit knowing how close Fury Road takes place after the epilogue makes me enjoy it even more. Especially with how well it was bridged together. (Nowhere near Dune Pt. 1 & Pt. 2’s synergy :wink1:) But still, great stuff.

Maybe they removed the elbow portion at the Citadel when they dragged her in.

I think the arm still has the elbow in Fury Road. In the fight with Max after the sandstorm, she doesn't have her mechanical arm on and at one point she falls face forward in the dirt and you can clearly see the bent elbow.

Furiosa arm.jpg

Yeah I saw that Villaneue is a master artist. Been a huge fan of his for a long time.

BR2049 is a cinematic masterpiece.

I need to re-watch BR2049. I saw it in IMAX but the sound was terrible -- don't know if it was the theatre or the mix for the film, and I was too close I tihink. All I remember is the final scene seemed pretty tense but I walked away a little underwhelmed.

Thing is, everyone raves about Villeneuve but in terms of films I love ... there's Sicario and maybe Arrival. It's not that he's terrible but I'm not sure he's for me stylistically. Incendies was very well done but that's a very different kind of film, too.

I'll try to see Fury Road this weekend. I'm pretty gun-shy about most movies these days but I'm hearing more good than bad for FR.

I need to re-watch BR2049. I saw it in IMAX but the sound was terrible -- don't know if it was the theatre or the mix for the film, and I was too close I tihink. All I remember is the final scene seemed pretty tense but I walked away a little underwhelmed.

Thing is, everyone raves about Villeneuve but in terms of films I love ... there's Sicario and maybe Arrival. It's not that he's terrible but I'm not sure he's for me stylistically. Incendies was very well done but that's a very different kind of film, too.

Definitely not the mix on BR2049 - I run a full THX Ultra II / Atmos system and the 4K UHD is reference level. I also felt the sameoriginally about the film, but it does get better with further viewings (except the stupid Hollywood fight scene at the end in the water. Doesn't make an ounce of sense, and feels like some dumbass executive decision).

Agreed, on Sicario and Arrival - particularly Arrival. My respect for Villeneuve comes from consistency and maturity of craft.

I actually like Furiosa more than Fury Road but both are perfectly matched.

I have come a long way on Fury Road I was angry over Gibson not returning but the movie shouldn’t be punished for that.

Very difficult to make a great prequel.

Not for Miller.

Now you’re just hating. The score was absolutely beautiful. One of Hans’ best.
Agree to disagree. I haven't experienced such a negative physical reaction to a cinematic score since "Commando" back in the 80's. That insufferable throat singing and obnoxious wailing was truly jarring and also did not fit the scenes at all i.m.o. It was as if they tried to over compensate for the fact nothing was happening on screen by assaulting my eardrums. I normally consider Zimmer one of the absolute best there is, so there's no bias here.
Furiosa is packed full of cheap CGI and cartoonish looking animation. Dune’s visuals look like paintings on a big screen, not a video game.
I said the visuals and the designs were BORING, not that the execution wasn't good. The CG in Dune is reference quality for sure. It's just that there's nothing interesting to look at while the characters are standing around telling us what's what.
Furiosa is a good fun movie, and it’s grown on me a lot - but to undermine Dune’s visuals to support the CGI fest that is Furiosa is maddening.
Now you're really swinging... Furiosa has serviceable CG and the story, characters and direction more than make up for what isn't as perfect/seamless looking. I'll take an engaging, character driven action movie over an exposition heavy, stilted political drama any day of the week. To each his own...
Do you want every movie these days to look like the recent MCU flicks? Thats what you’re calling “better visuals”.
Again, I'm talking imaginative DESIGN here, not perfect looking CG...
Fury Road’s visuals were about on par with Dune, and that film is almost a decade old. Goes to show how lazy hollywood and Miller have gotten.
It's likely got alot more to do with money than lazyness. Also, I'd argue It's harder to CG the scenes in Furiosa than in Dune. Everything in Dune is masked by a borderline monochrome pallet. All the color, moving parts and dynamic action in Furiosa is alot trickier to pull off convincingly.
There’s a reason Dune was a success, and Furiosa wasn’t. The visuals were a massive part of that.
Well, they obviously were for you... The two major reasons Dune was fairly successful (It did struggle to make a profit due to its excessive budget) was: 1) Villeneuve's ongoing streak of highly acclaimed movies, including his surprisingly impressive sequel to Blade Runner. 2) There was a substantial fanbase who'd been waiting forever for a semi-decent adaptation of Dune. The anticipation and support for this movie was absolutely massive.

Mad Max is, all things considered, still a pretty niche franchise that already produced two genre masterpieces. Noone was really expecting Furiosa to rival Fury Road. Also, lots of fans were disapointed how the focus was taken away from the main character. This movie was always going to be a tougher sell. Now the word of mouth is spreading but it might be a little too late to save its cinamatic run. My guess is it will eventually get its due on streaming and physical though...

Back