Mortal Kombat - Sub Zero WIP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twik25

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all! Well, I am new to this whole 1/6 figure thing. I have always wanted to start collecting and customizing... and so I decided why not give it a shot. After reading through a lot of the threads on here, I was able to get a good start.

I have a fine arts background, and work as a graphic designer... so I thought this would be a fun thing for me to do that is still creative, just in a different way. I have never sewn a thing in my life, so it has been challenging... but I LOVE IT.

Anyways, I thought I would share a WIP. I have always loved Mortal Kombat, and the first figure I wanted to make was Sub Zero. I saw a render of a retro Scorpion, and am using that as my reference.

First, I decided that all of the Ninja hoods I have seen didn't really capture the way SZ looks in the render, so I had to create a die. This took a lot of work, but I am really happy with the results. I have made about 5 sets of pants so far (fixing little issues here and there) and I feel like those are in a really good spot. The last pair I made were a little too short, so I had to make them a bit longer...

At this point, I am in a holding pattern till I put the correct body I want to use in there (HT muscular type). I will update when I get further along. Also, I plan on sharing all of my templates/dies in PDF format when I am done, so anyone can make their own. Thanks for looking!

subzero_wip_1.jpg

subzero_wip_2.jpg

subzero_wip_3.jpg

subzero_wip_4.jpg

TK

Last edited:
Yeah, so far so good. I was just thinking that someone should do some MK bashes. Surprised there aren't more of these floating around.

Awsome sub zeros always been my favorite. Looking good so far, can't wait to see it finished:clap

Yes!!! Another 1/6 MK Custom. I hope these are the start of more customs to start coming out. Also good choice with starting with "retro" look. I love the looks of MK 1 myself, follow by 2.

You may want to check out a Sideshow Red Ninja headsculpt. I thought they looked pretty good for a classic MK Ninja head. I was tempted myself to make one, but the outfit problems stopped me.

Thanks for all of the comments everyone! Glad to see there are some MK fans out there just like me.

Buttmunch - Yeah, that is a good head... I figured since this is my first one, I would try to make all of the pieces myself. I am really worried about some of the pieces as well. The wrist protectors will be a _____... haven't even figured out how to tackle those yet.

Anyways, while I am waiting on my body (HT Royce) I figured I would go ahead and finish the head. Hope you enjoy! I still have a bit of trimming to do near the neck, as the blue mask is too bunched up down there.

subzero_wip_5.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome sauce! Scorpion is a better choice though. ;P
Are you going to try and do the diamond pattern?

4rsyn - At this point, I am planning on doing the diamond pattern... we'll see how it looks though... my sewing skills might not be up to that kind of precision. And maybe I'll make a Scorpion next... I was leaning towards Ermac or Jade

Well, I saw a trailer for the new MK game, and it featured Sub Zero in his retro outfit in action... this was both GREAT news and BAD news. First the good, I was able to take a few screen grabs and get some much needed detail on other parts of his outfit. Bad news was, I had to remake the hood to better match up with the game. The hood in the game doesn't tuck under his shirt like I had hoped and thought... no biggie... 45 min later I have a new die, and I made one.

I have added a screen grab of his in game outfit, as well as a quick photo I just took of the new hood. As soon as I get the HT Royce body, I am ready to make the undershirt and over shirt thingy(the blue part).
subzero_ref_2.jpg

subzero_wip_6.jpg

he's looking great so far!

Looking forward to seeing you FINISH HIM!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! Much appreciated!
Since sub zero is known for his head rip fatality, I have decided to use this Ignite Black Ninja head sculpt as part of a secondary piece. I figured since I have 3 extra ninja hoods, I can make a generic ninja and sculpt a spine and doing a little painting magic. Should be fun.

I do have one question. Although it doesn't really show it in the game screen grab I have, I have always pictured SZ with slightly frozen hands... I am thinking about painting a little bit of pale/blue towards his lower arms, and adding a frosting effect. It woud be subtle, but I think it would be a nice touch. What do you guys think?

Hymn - HT Royce figure arrives tomorrow, in which I intend to use his body.

Back