DVD Storage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosaicsquare

Super Freak
Reaction score
How do you guys store your dvds? I currently just cram everything in a book shelf. I have over 400 movies... I was wondering if there is an affordable way to display these guys in all its glory. :rotfl:rotfl

How do you guys store your dvds? I currently just cram everything in a book shelf. I have over 400 movies... I was wondering if there is an affordable way to display these guys in all its glory. :rotfl:rotfl

Hmm...not really sure how you feel about this, but a friend of mine bought a bunch of hard drives and ripped them all so he can access the movies on his HTPC. The physical movies are stored in the garage.

I'm currently doing what you are, but would like to create some space by getting rid of the cases and possible building a drawer-based cabinet to just hold the discs in sleeves. I saw a picture on the HD-Digest forums and they looked really classy. The person had 3 drawers of movies- one for Blu Rays, one for HD-DVDs, and the last for regular DVDs he still had. His collection was roughly 1000 something.

I have about 600-700 DVds and another 100 or so blurays.

A friend of mine built me a shelf for pretty cheap but I am out growing it slowly but when I get my house I will probably custom build more shelves.

I got this idea from someone from dvdtalk.com but what I want to do is build in wall shelves with a door over them that are movie posters.

If you want some nice looking but relatively inexpensive shelves for your DVDs, you should check out the Ikea Billy. If you add two extra shelves to it (also available from Ikea), one unit will hold around 375 DVDs (or more, depending on individual case dimensions).

Basic unit (without the two extra shelves):
49014_PE144987_S3.jpg

Another storage alternative that saves a huge amount of space is the Fellowes One-Touch system:

27-998-019-S01

When my DVD collection started exceeding several hundred, I switched to buying these for storage:

https://www.shop4tech.com/item3172.html

Each case holds 160 DVDs and slides out like a nice filing system. The only pain in the butt is keeping them in alphabetical order, but I typically go through my collection once or twice a year to sort in new ones :)

I have over 1000 dvds and blurays and I use the Besta system from Ikea. I use pull out drawers and little dividers/drawer liners they make for the drawers that hold them up. I've been able to fit all my stuff into 8 total drawers with lots of leftover space to display other things.

Back