Collecting habits, the good, the bad, the ugly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
Do you guys ever notice some really weird collecting habits around here at times? Maybe I'm the only one thats nosey enough, I don't know.

I'm talking about things such as people selling unopened items only a few months after acquisition for much less than retail.

Or people you know you've seen sell or trade the same item in and out like 5 times?

Whats up with that sort of behavior? Seems a bit like the EXPENSIVE way to collect.

I'm excusing financial crisises and stuff.

I just seem to see a lot of people that I think frankly buy something because they are addicted to buying. When they "need" to buy something else they sell something for a loss.

It kinda gets me down and scratching my head. Especially when its an unopened item. Like someone took out a lease on a car, never drove it, then took it back to the dealership for a newer lease. :duh

I have my own funny habits. Like I buy figures thinking they'd look great in a diorama only I never follow through with the diorama. :banghead

Anyway, am I the only one that sees this?

I think this partially stems from the flipper pov especially with HT figures. When you look at the AVP Predators and the Predator 2 figures and how much they go for it's no wonder that everyone thought the Lost Predator would go for the boucoup bucks as well. But he didn't because all the Etailers stocked up on him thinking Preds were hot and were going to rake in cash.

It's the same princible as the Death of Superman comic in the early '90s. Everyone ran out and bought multiple copies thinking they'd become super rare collectors' items only they wouldn't because everyone went out and bought multiple copies.

The other thing is that people buy stuff all the time that they really don't want. Announcement hits and everyone gets giddy and excited and preorders without a moments hesitation. Months go by as their preorder dwindles in preorder hell then there's the rush of excitement when the item starts popping up around HK and then the real rush when it starts hitting North America. Then it arrives.... Excitement's over. You have it in hand but you realise you're just not that big a fan of the property to warrant the $150+ purchase. Problem is you're likely not going to get retail for it because every other place on the net has the same item for the same price. So the only option you're left with is to come under retail.

It's an odd attribute but I think everyone goes it or something similar at least once.

As far as funny habits, I'm reaching a point where I have to have a hand in the figures I own. Either I have to add an accessory, weather something, switch out the body, etc. etc. I have to make the item "mine".

Oh and I've done the "hey, these would look great in a diaroma" thing too, hell I still do it. But it's hard to enjoy them as an individual figure when you have them by the handful. Not to mention my dios are rarely big enough for 3-4 figures.:eek:

I definitely buy things when I'm angry or depressed to soothe myself. But then I'll get pissed at something else and sell things I don't want to. It's a never ending cycle.

For me, it's buyer's remorse. I get caught up in the hype sometimes and when I finally receive something, I change my mind on it. :dunno

The wait time for an SSC item is usually plenty long enough for me to not have buyers remorse. If I made it that far to release, I probably won't change my mind. But even if I did change my mind, just knowing I'd lose between 5-20% on an item makes me stick with the product.

Ever since I stopped being a completist I have found I cancel a lot of items now before they ship. I still WANT them, but I'm being very picky. It actually is almost becoming painful to buy a new toy knowing how deep an investment it is. If I bought something and then immediately felt like selling it at a loss I think I would probably ____ a brick.

i use to want it all. but can't afford everything. so i am selective on what to collect..i think every collector goes through a period where they look and wonder if this is the path of collecting they wanted to go in maybe just me. but i already sold everything off once and then collected different stuff.it was mainly starwars at first and now. very view pieces.i kind of lost that wow factor. the feeling of being blown away by collecting that i need this piece. sideshow kind of killed that feeling with inconsistency of the sculpts but hot toys amazes me everytime anymore..
i like the statues sideshow does.. there top notch .but if i did statues i would have no room to sleep.

I currently have a total of 5 figures -- BR Joker, DX Joker, Harvey Dent, SS Indiana Jones, and Enterbay Jack Bauer. This year, I'm in for a DX Batman and a HT Superman (Reeve). Otherwise, I don't see anything on the horizon that'll make the cut. "Completism" is an obsession I will never understand ... why buy something just because they made it? I spend on the things I want, and skip the rest.

And, even if I don't get something I genuinely wanted ... I'll live.

SnakeDoc

Earth? I'd rather be up here with these things.

Earth! Man, what a ____hole.

trio2.png

Huh? Oh sorry misleading thread ;)

I used to buy two of the same figure, one to keep unopened. I never even intended on selling my unopened figure later down the road... I've pretty much stopped doing this now.

And yeah, part of the fun is waiting for the figure. From the day it's shipped, I check the tracking number every day. It's exciting.

Some things here sounds really familiar.

I also often think "I need to make a diorama for my Vader, for my John Locke, for my ...", but I never end up doing it :rolleyes:

I also have a nasty E-bay addiction: everyday I scour evilbay, looking for 1/6 bargains, or parts that look interesting for a custom I "may" make someday (usually the parts end up in a big bin and the custom idea gets scrapped and replaced by another, lol).

Looking back now at all the Hot Toys and Sideshow stuff I ever bought, there's not a lot I would really want to run back into my burning house to save. My most treasured 1/6 figures are custom made (thanks Seb! :D )

Maybe we should start a Collectors Anonymous? :lol

Do you guys ever notice some really weird collecting habits around here at times? Maybe I'm the only one thats nosey enough, I don't know.

I'm talking about things such as people selling unopened items only a few months after acquisition for much less than retail.

Or people you know you've seen sell or trade the same item in and out like 5 times?

Whats up with that sort of behavior? Seems a bit like the EXPENSIVE way to collect.

I'm excusing financial crisises and stuff.

I just seem to see a lot of people that I think frankly buy something because they are addicted to buying. When they "need" to buy something else they sell something for a loss.

It kinda gets me down and scratching my head. Especially when its an unopened item. Like someone took out a lease on a car, never drove it, then took it back to the dealership for a newer lease. :duh

I have my own funny habits. Like I buy figures thinking they'd look great in a diorama only I never follow through with the diorama. :banghead

Anyway, am I the only one that sees this?

I've seen this too. People are really hyped up to get a PF then they'll keep it a couple of months and sell it. I know it's not for the money because they turn around and buy other things and like clockwork, sell it.

I think we've all had buyers remorse at one time or another, but I buy things that I have no intentions of selling until I'm old and gray and need the money to supplement my social security, if there is such a thing when I'm 65.

Now, I have alot of toys that I collected as a kid I'd like to get rid of, but that's because I've basically outgrown them and I've had them for a long time and have gone to more high end things that look better displayed.

could also be nowadays people buy/PO with prototype pictures (which looked great) but the factory produce item looked somewhat off..hence selling MISB?

Back