1/6 Death Star Swing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_IMPoor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi All

First post. Been lurking for a bit. Looking at all the great customs and custom dioramas has been awesome. It actually has inspired me to try to attempt one of my own. It's going to be pretty basic as it's my first one, and I am going to try and make a proper home for this:
fall007.jpg

For my diorama, Luke now has the proper Sideshow Stormtrooper belt and hook. He will also be getting a new head, body, and clothes. I'll deal with him later though.

As of today, I'm in for 3 pieces of foamboard, a thick piece of art cardboard, a posterboard, and a piece of styrofoam I got from work.

Said styrofoam. It will make an excellent base. 2nd shot, I've laid out some markings. 3rd shot-my base.
3009.jpg

3010.jpg

3011.jpg

1st and 2nd piece of foamboard down-exterior wall and outside of door
3014.jpg

3015.jpg

3rd piece of foamboard-door. And the pattern is laid out on the heavy cardboard for the panels.
3016.jpg

I'm using the posterboard to clean up the edges of the styrofoam base
3020.jpg

Cut out all the panel pieces and glued them to my door. This part sucked, but so far, so good.
3021.jpg

3022.jpg

2 more shots to go.

Looks good, though I will admit clicking on the thread I thought Lucas had cleared an officially licensed kid's backyard toy until I saw 1:6. :lol

So this is what I've got done so far. Everything is just tacked together with pins, so I can still mess with it if need be. Can't say as I'm looking forward to doing the lighted sides, but I'll come up with something. So far, it's cheap, very light, and just the right size. I am pleased so far, but there's plenty of things I can do to botch it yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope you enjoy
3023-1.jpg

3024-1.jpg

Last edited:
No worries, I was just making a joke. I'm interested to see it painted up with the figures on it. Any shots preliminary with the figures on it to get a feel?

In my haste to go to bed, the last two images were the same. I've changed it now. So naked Hot Toy body Luke is there for scale, but I haven't done the outfit swap yet.

Hi Darth

and Welcome!

Doorway is looking fantastic! Have you thought about making the door itself movable? Or have a swap out - shorter door? That way you could pose a couple of troopers on the otherside just showing their feet. Nice and screen acurate!

Keep on posting mate!

Cheers DG

Totally brilliant. This dio has been on my list for ages. You have made a fantastic start. There are lots of really tricky bits like all little light bits round the door. Looking forward to seeing more pics :)

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Today I have made a panel box (not shot through yet!) and I'm working on the sides. If I can get to the store, I'll be getting some paint. The sides are proving to be as difficult as I imagined. I have a solution, and it's a little rough, but I believe it will be workable in the end. A couple pics later tonight hopefully.

Again, thanks for the compliments.

Dorgmal-I'm very much looking forward to your take on this particular scene.

Darthgothikus-The door will be in foamboard tracks with the intent on being able to move it up and down. I made it an inch bigger than what shows through the entryway for that purpose. If I can execute it with the materials I'm using, that remains to be seen.

Can't wuss out on the lights:lol

As mentioned earlier, I've been doing a few small things. No kids today, so I can play in the shop longer than usual.

I made a non-blowed-up yet panel box just for giggles. At least now I have a visual, so I can make one with damage. It came out OK. If I ever do the Stormtrooper side, I'll probably do some things different. For those who are interested in the ingredients, it's just comic backer cardboard with a metallic shelf liner contact paper, drawn lines and some of my cheap craft jewels.

4009.jpg

My solution for the lights is Fun Foam. It's $.99 a sheet (only need 1), cuts easy, and will flex around the rounded corners of the walls. I laid out the strip and used a popsicle stick as a guide.

4010.jpg

4011.jpg

I painted the door. Undercoat of dark gray, a layer of metallic, and light primer sparingly over that. I'll weather with some edge-wear and scratches and dings later. Doesn't look like much progress, but the sides were a p-i-t-a.

4012.jpg

4013.jpg

4013.jpg

It's coming along. I'm still happy. I'm excited things seem to be working as planned, but I have to back away a bit as I feel I'm rushing. Who knows, maybe I'll finish this up just in time for Sideshow to release their diorama.
Enjoy!

Back