Is it time for change?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voorhees27

Super Freak
Reaction score
Over the past 5 months i've had alot of time to really reflect on what IS important and what is not. I have sold over $4000 of my personal collection and my question is should I just keep going?

Does anyone else here feel the same way? At one time it was fun and exciting and now its not. I suppose an individual just makes changes and may not even realize it and others make that choice. I see myself "making" those changes and not even seeing the change.

I am not in a state of confusion nor do I feel regret, in fact I feel more clear now than ever before (collecting) Not about "life" in general but maybe just a small branch of it.

I guess what i'm saying is does anyone else feel the same way and if so what do you plan on doing about it? This weekend will be the start of my change in this hobby. It was fun, this site is a blast but its time to move on I think.

Note: This is not an "Attention Whore" thread, just an honest question

Everyone goes though times where they don't feel much like collecting. I have had those too.. and then something comes along and reves me back up again. I for sure have become a lot more selective then I was before and just get the items that I really like and the rest of it I don't mind passing on.

I've been feeling kinda the same way. As I look around at all the stuff I have crowded together and everything I have in storage that I could sell and put in my sons college fund or just put away for a rainy day, it makes me think about just getting rid of most of it. I was thinking of maybe just keeping a few of my favorite pieces and trading most of my other stuff away and just getting a few things I really want.

I dunno, maybe it's just me getting older and bored of the same old stuff.:dunno

sometimes i feel the same way cuz i spend way too much money on collectibles.....im just gonna wait to end the year collecting whatever i can afford and start off the year and just keep collecting star wars and the dinosauria line which is pretty sweet. see if i can manage to do that.

:lol...move on!.....I feel for you, man!...I started collecting SS stuff middle of last year yet the practical side of my brain tells me to stop since I don't really need them!:huh....and plus I'm getting bored!...I know I should stop while I'm ahead!...BUT I NEED MY SELENE, DAMMIT!
onion_msn_smileys-01.gif

Honestly a good "cancel" does wonders for me; it a) proves that I do have at least some self-control, b) helps me to streamline and focus my excitement on the more "special" pieces and not the I have to have it all mentality.

Cancelling my PZ PF was very cleansing. :cool:

I've been at this same point for the last few months. I've got so many figures already, I mean how long can it go on really? The only thing that still really excites me about this hobby is putting together Doctor Who customs. Outside of that, I doubt I'll be collecting anymore. I'll still hang around here and check out the cool new stuff and all the amazing custom work though.

I change and evolve and go from one thing to the other. I used to collect dolls, beanies, toy figures. It changed over time. Now I'm collecting the higher end stuff. I'm going to start selling off my old toys I have packed away. No sense in it just stored in boxes. Maybe someone else can enjoy them now.

Honestly a good "cancel" does wonders for me; it a) proves that I do have at least some self-control, b) helps me to streamline and focus my excitement on the more "special" pieces and not the I have to have it all mentality.

agreed, however, i dont want to stop collecting, but my issue is starting to be, how much stuff do i have undisplayed in boxes(too good to throw away, not good enough to make much money on it-or a huge loss at least). Display space is maxed right now, at what point do i say "even though id love to display that, what else am i gonna box up "?

I feel you on that. I have to trim down my collection and keep what I really want. I have way too many things in the storage and my closet that I don't really need.

It's a hobby, don't let it own you. Step a way for a bit. You'll know when it is time to move on.

I have done that a couple times. It hurt a bit right when I hit cancel but after about 10 minutes I felt so much better.

I've been there. But the allure of it still calls me. I enjoy my collection, even though some days I don't really feel it.

Honestly, it just comes down to personal feelings and where you are in life. Sometimes it's just a fluke and will lose it's luster, sometimes it is a lifelong obsession. Maybe one day I too will pull away, but for now...I still enjoy it too much to let go.

I hear you...
I've been getting rid of a bunch of stuff myself...
I'm trying to focus on my inner self a bit more...
Follow your heart, dude

The world needs good people... and positive change
is always a good thing...

"Make that change..."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/M7YRQH2TTeg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/M7YRQH2TTeg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>:monkey2...

Over the past 5 months i've had alot of time to really reflect on what IS important and what is not. I have sold over $4000 of my personal collection and my question is should I just keep going?

Does anyone else here feel the same way? At one time it was fun and exciting and now its not. I suppose an individual just makes changes and may not even realize it and others make that choice. I see myself "making" those changes and not even seeing the change.

I am not in a state of confusion nor do I feel regret, in fact I feel more clear now than ever before (collecting) Not about "life" in general but maybe just a small branch of it.

I guess what i'm saying is does anyone else feel the same way and if so what do you plan on doing about it? This weekend will be the start of my change in this hobby. It was fun, this site is a blast but its time to move on I think.

Note: This is not an "Attention Whore" thread, just an honest question

....well...if youre through collecting....and through with this site...and with us...*sniffle* OOOOHH GOD DONT LEAVE ME! :monkey2

I change and evolve and go from one thing to the other. I used to collect dolls, beanies, toy figures. It changed over time. Now I'm collecting the higher end stuff. I'm going to start selling off my old toys I have packed away. No sense in it just stored in boxes. Maybe someone else can enjoy them now.

This is alot like me. I use to collect Star Wars Kenner 1/6th back when I was starting college, then sold them to import DBZ animation cels, then sold them (for ALOT of money) to buy to buy Dragon WWII 1/6th and Bowen minibusts, eventually I sold all of that to buy Bowen FS and a handfull of Sideshow Marvel PFs. As of right now, I really only collect X-Men based Bowen FS, Marvel and Star Wars PFs (only ones that interest me, I am not a completist), and GI Joe 1/6th. I will admit that as I got more units and years in and moved over steps on the payscale, my spending on hobby stuff has increased quite a bit.

I still buy and sell statues as I go and want different things; my rule of thumb is a) nothing goes in storage and b) if I can't budget to pay it off on my hobby credit card, I don't get it.

Back