Anyone else like to see a modern movie version of the LONE RANGER?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I was just thinking that it would be nice to see a brand new live action version of the Lone Ranger. Perhaps an origins story, maybe have it be a darker story not geared too much towards children, like the old shows were.

Funny I was thinking this a few days ago and googled it and apparently Bruckheimer is behind a remake that is being considered.

Funny I was thinking this a few days ago and googled it and apparently Bruckheimer is behind a remake that is being considered.

Nice. I really enjoyed the show when I was a kid and the movie that was released years later. Bruckheimer is actually a decent choice. Just gogled it and apparently Johnny Depp is rumored to play Tonto.

i'm going with a no. i'm on the remake hate train right now. so many movies from my youth are being remade....and so far they all look like 100lbs of suck.

Has anyone read Dynamite Entertainment's The Lone Ranger comic?

It's one of the best books out there. :rock

LoneRanger1.jpg

I'd love to see a movie version of the comic.

They also have a Buck Rogers comic coming out soon. :rock

I'd have to pass. He's one of those screen characters best left in the 50's. They'd have to radically change him for it to work on the big screen today.

Not at all.. (even though I was a fan back in the day, Today masked cowboys are for........

I'm in for it! They apparently have the writers of the Pirates movies working on this. If it's in that vein or similar to the Banderas Zorro movies, I will probably like it a lot!

I thought we had a thread for this film already....yeah its a done deal with Disney backing it and Bruckheimer producing, it was confirmed by Disney themselves last September.

FirstShowing.net September 2008 said:
We've received word from Disney that Johnny Depp has been cast in The Lone Ranger as Tonto and not the Lone Ranger himself. Tonto was the Lone Ranger's Native American sidekick who helped out greatly in nearly every episode of the original radio show. As for the film itself, we confirmed back in March that writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, the duo who wrote the Pirates of the Caribbean films, were writing the big screen version of this. It's a Jerry Bruckheimer production meaning that it's going to be one hell of a big adaptation, considering all of Bruckheimer's features have big budgets. As for a director, we don't yet know who that'll be, nor did they announce who will actually plane the Lone Ranger.

I love westerns, so I vote yes. This is who I would like to see playing the Ranger, but he would really have to shine if acting along side Depp.

070718_TV_madMenEX.jpg

I thought we had a thread for this film already....yeah its a done deal with Disney backing it and Bruckheimer producing, it was confirmed by Disney themselves last September.

Originally Posted by FirstShowing.net September 2008
We've received word from Disney that Johnny Depp has been cast in The Lone Ranger as Tonto and not the Lone Ranger himself. Tonto was the Lone Ranger's Native American sidekick who helped out greatly in nearly every episode of the original radio show. As for the film itself, we confirmed back in March that writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, the duo who wrote the Pirates of the Caribbean films, were writing the big screen version of this. It's a Jerry Bruckheimer production meaning that it's going to be one hell of a big adaptation, considering all of Bruckheimer's features have big budgets. As for a director, we don't yet know who that'll be, nor did they announce who will actually plane the Lone Ranger.

This news frick'n RULES! :rock:rock:rock

The Lone Ranger is AWESOME!!

Yep, the Lone Ranger is awesome, and Depp would make a great Tonto.

I wonder how they will handle the man on a horse riding around with a mask and being unregogniseable. But they did the series well without it being cheesy, though I saw it on TV as a child, so I would have been easily impressed. I guess it will be much like Zorro.

This was bound to get re-made at some point (just as sure as Zorro was). I do hope that the writers/producers/director do something different and interesting, though.

I think its a great idea and Im glad disney is taking it on. Im glad my kids will enjoy a show I loved as a kid. Even if it won't be exactly how I remembered it they will get their very own version. I just hope they don't camp it up. But Depp is talented and I think he did a great job on the Pirate films so there is hope. :D

Article by Zombiezeus
'Lone Ranger' of the Caribbean?

IESB talked briefly to Jerry Bruckheimer, mega-movie producer extraordinaire, at a screening of "G-Force", which you will only care about if you have young siblings, nieces/nephews, children of your own, or you're trying to land a hot single mom with kids. But since the rest of us only care about movies we're actually going to see, and IESB understands this, they talked to Jerry about a project we haven't heard a lot about but should be excited for nonetheless: "The Lone Ranger".

"The Lone Ranger", if you recall , was announced last year by Disney to much fanfare, because Johnny "Jack Sparrow/Edward Scissorhands/Officer Tom Hanson " Depp will be playing Tonto and everybody was all "oooh another wacky period character he'll play huzzah!", etc. They still haven't chosen their Lone Ranger (my money's on George Clooney), but that hasn't stopped Ol' Brucky (as his friends call him) from talking about their marketing intentions for the movie:

"['The Lone Ranger' will be] geared more towards the Pirates [of the Caribbean] audience, 10 and up."

Which sounds solid to me. Those movies are an excuse to print money. In box office alone they've made $2.6 BILLION–and that's not counting merchandising and DVD sales, which are going to keep plenty of Disney execs from working at McDonalds for quite some time, I'm sure. I'm not sure "Ranger" will have quite as much reason to be embraced by the whole world, however, since it's a Western, and those are terrifically and specifically American, but it should be huge nonetheless.

I'm all for a movie like "POTC: Curse Of The Black Pearl", which was so purely, simply entertaining it made the other two bloated, confusing-on-purpose sequels all the harder to bear. As long as they have a good balance of action, adventure, humor, and amusing characterization, I think Disney will have another family-friendly franchise to rely on.

GIDDYYUP !!!!!!..........:sancho

sounds like this could be quite good.

Gore Verbinski in Talks to Direct The Lone Ranger?
Posted on Monday, September 27th, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

Many of you might be wondering what Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy director Gore Verbinski has planned next. He is wrapping up production on the computer animated film Rango, and it doesn’t look like the Bioshock movie adaptation is going to happen. Word has it that Verbinski might again reteam with Johnny Depp on a big screen adaptation of The Lone Ranger.

Deadline is reporting that Verbinski is in talksfor the job over at Walt Disney Pictures. No word on when production is being targeted to begin.

The Burbank-based movie company is set to have a big press event later this week, and it is completely possible that this news was going to be announced at the event by studio chairman Rich Ross, but may have leaked early.

The project was initially announced in 2007, with producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Pirates of the Caribbean/Shrek screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio penning the script. A year later, in 2008, it was revealed that Johnny Depp had been cast as Tonto, and George Clooney was rumored to be in talks to play the title character. Last summer it was rumored that Mike Newell (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Donnie Brasco, Prince of Persia) was in talks to direct, which clearly isn’t happening now. And in February, the mouse house hired Justin Haythe, who adapted Revolutionary Road, to pen a draft. Haythe was most recently working with Walt Disney Pictures on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo before a recent change in staff put the project in the trash.

Adapted from the 1930’s radio show, which later became a popular live-action television show in the 1950’s. The Lone Ranger is a masked Texas Ranger in the American Old West, who gallops about righting injustices, usually with the aid of a clever and laconic American Indian sidekick called Tonto, and his horse Silver. He would famously say “Hi-yo Silver, away!” to get the horse to gallop. Hollywood has tried to remake the Lone Ranger twice now, a 1981 film titled The Legend of the Lone Ranger and a 2003 WB television movie/pilot, both of which were not well accepted.

Back