Quest for the Real Ironman, how to spot a fake for Freaks and Newbs!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiman

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello ppl, just thought this would be a good idea to start a thread on the fake IM Com... Ex piece since I've started taking this piece seriously of maybe obtaining one day I've started to do my own little research.

I knew that this piece was going to be hard to obtain and I'm still on the hunt for it of course. I started looking for this guy once I started collecting SS statues but I was not informed and didn't actually dig hard enough to obtain enough information for me to get brave enough to maybe purchase one, whether it be eBay or from a fellow freak. Heck, even doing the research some sellers didn't even acknowledge me or responded to the pic requests that I ask for... :monkey2

"hello..,this is brand new item guarantee 100%/ in mint/perfect condition..,i have $2000 buyer protection..,n no one has receipt for this item cause this is old/rare item,,,if you win this auction i can do all your request..,so many seller asking me request on other item but they dont buy the item..,so i will do request for the buyer that purchase my item only...thanks n have a blessed day.."

Actually I just gave up afte tryn to acquire a Stealth on eBay...
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41256

.... SO, I will start with some pics that I have obtain from sellers on the Bay to point the flaws and what should be correct and what to look for since these recasters have really started to get this down to almost everything seaming legit to the shoulders, arm, heads, head pegs, foot pegs, base, shipper, art box, red X for low numbering, grey styro, exclusive emblem and maybe even the receipt with the SS employee name on them :horror

Hopefully some Freaks will find this helpful because it's better that we educate ourselves and do the research in order for others not to get ripped off and stop making these recaster rich $$$!!!

I'll post some pics below to demonstrate what some fakes Ironman Comms look like and what the real should look like as well. It's a shame that I have lots of fake pics and not so many of the real piece :sick

Example 1:

License:
Marvel

Product Type:
Maquette

Product Size:
14" H (355.6mm) x 9" W (228.6mm) x 16" L (406.4mm)*

Product Weight:
8.00 lbs (3.63 kg)*

Box Size:
21.00" H (533.4mm) x 19.00" W (482.6mm) x 13.00" L (330.2mm)*

gfff_010.jpg

gfff_011.jpg

gfff_012.jpg

gfff_013.jpg

gfff_014.jpg

Feel free to post ur own pics and experiences as this could become a awesome guideline for others to use and work off of as well.

I've attached the full size pics, if you needed to view them in a larger scale.

Thanks fellow Freaks! :rock

Here's another example I believe this was from overseas but the first example was from within the states, so don't basically rule out the piece being a fake even though it not from a overseas seller.

This auction was pulled the day after he sent me the picks, no one bidded on it the seller decided to quit the auction... :confused:

Example 2:

License:
Marvel

Product Type:
Maquette

Product Size:
14" H (355.6mm) x 9" W (228.6mm) x 16" L (406.4mm)*

Product Weight:
8.00 lbs (3.63 kg)*

Box Size:
21.00" H (533.4mm) x 19.00" W (482.6mm) x 13.00" L (330.2mm)*

cimg6315.jpg

cimg6316.jpg

cimg6317.jpg

cimg6318.jpg

cimg6319.jpg

I've attached the full size pics, if you needed to view them in a larger scale.

Thanks fellow Freaks! :rock

Skiman, you have REALLY helped a lot of members (and many who are not) out with this thread. Thank you on many levels. :rock :rock :rock

Skiman, you have REALLY helped a lot of members (and many who are not) out with this thread. Thank you on many levels. :rock :rock :rock

Thank u M, I just hope that this helps out other Freaks and hopefully this thread can be used for this piece on outting a fake. Hopefully others will chime in with their pics and experiences.

Besides this piece the only other piece that gets recasted so much is Hulk VS Spidey.

Thank u M, I just hope that this helps out other Freaks and hopefully this thread can be used for this piece on outting a fake. Hopefully others will chime in with their pics and experiences.

Besides this piece the only other piece that gets recasted so much is Hulk VS Spidey.

I thought I read the whole thread, which is why I posted when I did. I didn't mean to interrupt the run. Very thorough! Nice job. :rock

Here is the message I got in reply from Sideshow regarding the copper vs aluminum neckpegs/footpegs. Again, I think it is only a matter of time before the counterfeiters figure out what people are asking on eBay and start changing :mad: :

Thu 2/12/09 10:01 AM

"Dear Jason,

Thank you for your email. I have received a response regarding our Iron ManComiquette and confirmed that it has a copper / bronze square footpegs and neckpegs.

Please let me know if I can assist you further!

Best regards, Kathy Harter
Customer Service Representative
Sideshow Collectibles
2630 Conejo Spectrum Street
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 USA
U.S. Toll Free: (800) 474-3746
Int'l Ph: (805) 214-2100 ext. 151
U.S / Int'l Fx: (805) 214-2190"

This is ridiculous! How are they getting actual SS boxes, exclusive stickers and foam inserts?

This is ridiculous! How are they getting actual SS boxes, exclusive stickers and foam inserts?

That is the #1 question I would like to know because it is what "sold" me on the authenticity of my fake. Mine even has the round Sideshow sticker on the tape keeping the two sides of the styrofoam together.

The shippers get ripped off..I know my IM stealth had a white box shipper because the factory had them jacked. SO in stead of doing another run of IM boxes SS decided to would be wise to ship plain white boxes.

(i can say i'm not happy)

Here is the message I got in reply from Sideshow regarding the copper vs aluminum neckpegs/footpegs. Again, I think it is only a matter of time before the counterfeiters figure out what people are asking on eBay and start changing :mad: :

Thu 2/12/09 10:01 AM

"Dear Jason,

Thank you for your email. I have received a response regarding our Iron ManComiquette and confirmed that it has a copper / bronze square footpegs and neckpegs.

Please let me know if I can assist you further!

Best regards, Kathy Harter
Customer Service Representative
Sideshow Collectibles
2630 Conejo Spectrum Street
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 USA
U.S. Toll Free: (800) 474-3746
Int'l Ph: (805) 214-2100 ext. 151
U.S / Int'l Fx: (805) 214-2190"

I appreciate you adding this Jason, therefore there's no confusing on what the pegs truly should be.

How I wish I have this information back in 2007, when I bought a recast Exclusive. Thanks for the info bro, and for sure this will help a lot of new and old collectors a like.

I keep saying that the color of the box (gray vs white) should not be an indicator of a fake.

For an example, the "owner" bought a fake one with white box. Then, he bought the original real one with the gray box. So the owner decided to sell the fake statue by switching it with the gray box.

The only way to determine if it's fake or not is the statue itself. For any new buyer, just focus on the statue and base. Also, another good indicator is the Tony detachable head's eyebrow because you can tell the difference between a fake vs. real.

Most important...you have to find a trustworthy seller (owner).

Absolutely, Ditto,!

Thanks Bat, :rock

How I wish I have this information back in 2007, when I bought a recast Exclusive. Thanks for the info bro, and for sure this will help a lot of new and old collectors a like.

I know, I was just thinking I'm glad that I've not purchased one of these recast but I feel for those that have and were not informed, only this way we will be able to protect each other from making what can be a very easy common mistake.

I keep saying that the color of the box (gray vs white) should not be an indicator of a fake.

For an example, the "owner" bought a fake one with white box. Then, he bought the original real one with the gray box. So the owner decided to sell the fake statue by switching it with the gray box.

The only way to determine if it's fake or not is the statue itself. For any new buyer, just focus on the statue and base. Also, another good indicator is the Tony detachable head's eyebrow because you can tell the difference between a fake vs. real.

Most important...you have to find a trustworthy seller (owner).

Good info on the eyebrow, didn't know that.

Definitely agree on getting this piece from a Freak that is trustworthy or that you know is reputable from the boards :rock :rock :rock

Great thread Skiman, this information definitely will help out those looking to get a IM :)!

Dear Iron Man Collector,

We wanted to take this opportunity to e-mail you about your wait list reservation for your Iron Man Exclusive Comiquette (Item# 71551).

We have not had any items return back into stock from card declines or returns nor have we found any remaining items within our warehouse.
Therefore, we will be CLOSING this wait list and canceling all collector reservations that have been submitted for this item. Once this is completed in your online account you will receive an e-mail confirming the cancellation from our online store's Order Desk.

We apologize that we could not fulfill your reservation. However, we do have many other Iron Man items that you may be interested in!

********OTHER SIMILAR IRON MAN ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE************

Back