(re) painting Aliens. Quicks tips?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky

Super Freak
Reaction score
Rather than reading a generic link on painting can anyone help me out with some basic guidlines specific to painting Alien warriors? I've acquired some old vinyl kits from Aliens and dont know sh1t from clay.

I'm trying to go for blue-black like the HT Aliens warrior and something more accurate like in the first 2 films.

Rather than reading a generic link on painting can anyone help me out with some basic guidlines specific to painting Alien warriors? I've acquired some old vinyl kits from Aliens and dont know sh1t from clay.

I'm trying to go for blue-black like the HT Aliens warrior and something more accurate like in the first 2 films.

My advice 1stly would be learn this very important distinction

As sh1t sculpted and then baked does not make for a good situation

Id use the forum thread search tool :

I found

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40650&highlight=custom+alien

Contact Jon Im sure he would give you some tips

Yeah, thanks. I PMd him a couple wks ago but hear dzip back.

This is what I'm after:

MyALIENSset0013ab-1.jpg

Almac0002.jpg

easy answer -send it to Les! :)

i would imagine a lot of it would be drybrushing layers upon layers, and then adding a nice gloss either with a spray or future floor wax afterwards.

I've acquired some old vinyl and resin 1/6 kits from Aliens - its a pretty cheap way of building up a horde rather than buying loads of HT figs. I'd never send my models away to get painted, I always like to do it myself and be proud of my own work.

I have a Halcyon Alien 3 model - I painted it a burgandy colour and then black-washed it but that's a differnt kind of alien to the ones from the previous films.

Last edited:
Hate to say this Nicky, but the only quick ALIEN tips I have are these:

Paint it all dark, dark burnt Umber
Drybrush in order, the following layers
Dark greys,
browns and or/grey in selective areas
Wash lighter browns and tans on selectied raised areas
Wash the whole with thinned out black in the cracks and seams, leaving it only in the deepest recesses
Highlight any bony bits with light, light tan.
Gloss coat the hell out of it!

Instant ALIEN

Now, for the not so quick, study the art of H.R. Giger. It takes time. I have been for 30 years and STILL don't totally get it. So I advise the "easy" steps above. Think ALIENS for how they did it, quick, bony, and for high contrast, darkly lit situations.
Think skeleton suits! That's what Cameron did.

Hope that helps.

hey les are there certain types of paint to use on certain types of plastic?

i have considered repainting figures every once in a while to try but i always shy away from fear of ruining figures.

not that you have the time but it would be awesome to see a post/thread where you gave a brief how to on repainting.

Gads! Well, I may can. I have a member's 22 inch Neca ALIEN to repaint soon, so I may just post a bit by bit thing, if I have time to as I work. It will take time as is, as it will be a VERY detailed GIGER type paint. But I may can. No promises.

Let me tell you now, study the man himself! Giger's art will teach you much! It taught me how to shade back in 1979/80. Just copying his art taught me how to paint! Study his work for sure!

I second that, Les - a "how-to-paint" guide/tutorial would be most welcome. :)

A tip for drybrushing from an old warhammer guy.

(Drybrushing is wiping most of the paint off the brush, and -dry- brushing, very lightly the residue to simulate highlights on sharp edges).

When drybrushing a dark figure don't immediately drybrush a very light tan.

The process is:

-Heavy drybrush application (large pressure) a mix of 50% original dark undertone and 50% highlight.

let it dry

-Medium application (some pressure) 25% original dark undertone colour and 75% highlight

let it dry

-Light application (very light pressure) 100% highlight.

If you do this the highlight seems natural and organic. You can also start at 75% - 25% if your going from a very dark undertone to a very light highlight. (Like on the alien)

Compare it to an inorganic highlight like wear and tear on a black gun, there you would go straight to the 100% highlight (or the 25% 75% mix at a stretch) because it's not meant to look organic, it's meant to look like chipped off paint. But if you do this on an organic figure up close it will look like a chinese factory paintjob i.e. not like a real living creature.

This is what I'm after:

MyALIENSset0013ab-1.jpg

Almac0002.jpg

These look cool who did these?

I have loads of 7 inch original aliens and this is a cool way to get a hive going.I have a few marines and a very cool custom of a hicks converted into drake and need more aliens to make the scene more hectic.

Last edited:
Back