Roberto's Custom MEGO Bat-Toys Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord1967

Freaked Out
Reaction score
On Christmas morning of 1975, a fledging action figure customizer was born!

That was the day when I, as a 7 year old little boy, found myself terribly disappointed with my brand new Batman and Robin Mego "dolls", the off-scale Batmobile, and the carboard Batcave Playset toys that were under my Chriatmas Tree.

I was grateful to have these toys, and I enjoyed playing with them, of course. But I also could not help but notice all the missing details and inaccuaracies in all of them.

To those of you that are too young to remember the 8 inch scale MEGO action figures from the 1970's here is a photo of what the bat- characters looked like back then:

MEGOBATCAVEGROUPPHOTO.jpg

Charming, cute, and maybe more than just a little bit silly looking. And thererin lies the problem. Everyone knows that in the twisted, garish world of Gotham City, "cute" is simply far too out of place!

30 years later, I took matters into my own hands. Here are my results so far...

Last edited:
Wow, I can understand your disappointment, those Mego's make Tonner look good! :google

Looks like your custom pics didn't make it though... I'm very interested in seeing what you did.

Last edited:
THE JOKER IS WILD!!

I found substantial room for improvement over Mego's original 8 Inch action figure version of THE JOKER...

First off, I eliminated the silk-screened leotard that Mego provided and fashioned all-new SEPARATE garments (custom silk green shirt, flaming orange flannel vest, baggy "pleated" purple pants with fat black pinstripes and tall waistband. As for his zany purple blazer, I only added a wild orange satin lining to the tails to spruce them up. At this point, I added the decorative details to the figure like buttons, floppy black tie, bright red lapel flower, a pair of purple dress sox and, a pair of white spats draped over his standard brown Mego shoes. He also wears a dandy pair of CLOTH white dress gloves, which unfortunately did not photograph as well as I’d hoped.

I created a custom Mego-styled window box on computer for THE JOKER to sleep in and called him finished!

Custom Action Figure and photo by Roberto Williams

Joker.jpg

Last edited:
RIDDLE ME THIS!

A Custom MEGO Bat-Project would NOT be complete without THE RIDDLER

I've always had a preference for the prince of puzzlers' classic unitard outfit, so that's the version of the characrter that I've created (just as MEGO originally did).

This customization is still in progress, so some of the details in the photo below are created via photoshop (Re:purple gauntlets). The plan here is to provide much tighter, snugger fitting lycra-spandex tights with vinyl question mark transfers all over his uniform (already provided by my buddy Charlee Flatt). The Riddler features a brand-new custom Edward Nigma head sculpt (commissioned from Ada Chan), a removable face mask, custom purple velvet gauntlets and a new larger waist band belt.

His custom-designed MEGO-styled window box has already been created.

Custom Action Figure and photo by Roberto Williams.

Riddlermail.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, no photos yet of the custom MEGO Action Figures of the three costumed LADIES in The Batman's life. They are getting their finishing touches on my work bench.

But here is the custom packaging I designed for Batgirl, Harley Quinn, and the Catwoman

BATGIRLBOX.jpg

HARLEYQUINNBOX.jpg

CATWOMANBOX.jpg

Of course, no set of custom MEGO Bat-Figure would be complete without the nefarious
Two-Face...

TWOFACEBOX.jpg

There are currently plans on my work bench for a "World's Greatest Secret Identities" line of custom MEGO action figures: Bruce Wayne , (young) Richard Grayson, and Alfred Pennyworth and Barbara Gordon.

For now, these are the custom boxes I designed...

ALFREDBOX.jpg

GRAYSONBOX.jpg

WAYNEBOX.jpg

BARBARABOX.jpg

Last edited:
FRIGID BIRD!!

“Rounding out” this rouge's gallery of Bat-villains is my customized action figure rendition of the nefarious Oswald Cobblepot!

MEGO'S original action figure version of THE PENGUIN required a complete and total make-over.

I fabricated a fully customized "fat man" body for this action figure, that features full waist / pelvis articulation, ball jointed shoulders and swivel biceps, and shorter and thicker legs to give him a 6.5 inch tall body height (making him much shorter than the other 8 inch tall characters). I also put together an all-new (more sinister) head sculpt with a removable top hat and monocle with lens (not molded onto the head sculpt like MEGO's original.) THE PENGUIN now wears a brand new custom-made tuxedo: white shirt, silk bow-tie, silk orange cumberbundt, purple dress pants, sox, white spats on top of wing-tip shoes, buttons (unlike MEGO's original silk-screen printed leotard).

My customized PENGUIN action figure also wears white silk dress gloves with cuffs (instead of MEGO's simple "white hands"), and he holds custom-made cigarette-holder and umbrella accessories (which MEGO never included with their original action figure!)

I also created a customized MEGO-styled window-box package for this action figure on computer in Adobe Photoshop.

Penguin.jpg

Last edited:
CALLING THE CAPED CRUSADERS

Next up is my custom MEGO 8 inch action figure of Gotham City’s POLICE COMMISSIONER GORDON! The Commissioner is pictured here during a particularly dangerous night in Gotham City as he summons the Caped Crusaders with the famed Bat-Signal (toy prop created by DC Direct Products)!

This custom COMMISSIONER GORDON action figure was a lot of fun, but very difficult to create. I developed his head sculpt from an existing MEGO sculpt which I re-worked and repainted extensively with a large mustache added. I also went through a VERY difficult time creating those tiny eye glasses (with lenses included!) and incorporating them seamlessly into Gordon's hairline. Legendary MEGO customizer Charlee Flatt helped me out by providing Gordon's custom-made basic black business suit, a white shirt, a pair of black sox, and a tan rain-overcoat. I made a belt for his trousers easily enough, but I had a REALLY difficult time creating that silk neck-tie of his that I had to knot (windsor-style) with tweezers! Custom-made accessories for this figure (not pictured) include a GCPD badge, a service revolver, and a smoking pipe.

He also sleeps in a custom-made MEGO-styled window box package that I created for him on computer in Adobe Photoshop.

gordon.jpg

Last edited:
Are you Roberto? That's some pretty frickin' good photography. Great work on the customs too! It is possible to shine a turd :lol

CLASSIC DYNAMIC DUO

Once again, it was "TOTAL MAKE-OVER TIME" for these two guys! There was just NO WAY around it!!

My goal was to create a "Classic Dynamic Duo" that reflected the darker tone of the comics, and accurately displayed the PHYSICAL DIFFERENCE between man and BOY wonder.

To accomplish this goal I used the (shorter) 6 inch "boy" action figure body from MEGO's 1976 "OUR GANG" collection as the basis to create ROBIN The Boy Wonder. "Alfalfa" was used for the main body. "Mickey" was used for the head sculpt. I re-sculpted the Mickey head with a new "Richard Grayson" hair style, and a boyish smirk, and then made a 5% smaller final casting with these new sculpted changes. With the exception of the green shorts and t-shirt sleeves (which were both borrowed and tailored from Mego’s original Robin action figure), ALL of the costume items had to be created from scratch. The biggest challenge was fashioning Robin’s gauntlets (bye-bye vinyl oven mitts!!!) and "pixie" boots out of lime green fabric. Holy fashion statement!!!!

THE BATMAN began life as a standard nude MEGO 8 inch "type II" (muscular) body. I replaced the original MEGO arms with the bulkier, and more poseable upper arms found on LJN’s 8 inch SWAT action figure from the ‘1970’s.

I selected an existing MEGO head sculpt to double as "Bruce Wayne" , and with a quick hair re-sculpt and re-paint, he was done.

The creation of The Batman’s costume was a challange: He needed some tighter-fitting dark grey lycra spandex tights that improved upon Mego’s original "pajama-fit" costume. Here, Charlee Flatt came to my rescue by providing the excellent sewing chores. I created everything else. I attempted to make The Batman’s removable mask using Pez Candy Dispensers that I radically re-sculpted. After no less than 15 failed attempts (!!!), I finally got one to fit on the action figure’s head without cracking apart like an egg-shell!!

Accessories for both of these action figures (not pictured) include Bat-ropes, and two different folding "Bat-a-Rangs" (1966 TV show designs)

BOTH action figures sleep in MEGO-styled window-box packaging that I created for them on computer in Adobe Photoshop.

Custom Action Figures and photo by Roberto Williams

BatmanRobinMail.jpg

Last edited:
Well done! Mego figures are awesome, though very tough to customize. You did some great stuff wtih them, love that Joker. :lol

Do you do any other custom work?

Well done! Mego figures are awesome, though very tough to customize. You did some great stuff wtih them, love that Joker. :lol

Do you do any other custom work?

As a matter if fact I do. I'll soon be posting photos of some custom Original Trilogy STAR WARS action figures that I created a while back.

Stay tuned.:wave

Those are some fantastic Mego customs! Batman and Robin especially are great.

I loved the Megos as a kid but always felt they were deficient too. I tried customizing then, but it was usually cardboard and tape. I first got into real customizing with the Famous Covers - so I have a certain fondness for the scale.

Wow!! Outstanding work!! I loved the Megos when I was a kid and did some customizing on them as well, but nothing near the scale that you have accomplished. If that Batman & Robin had been available when I was young I might be a 1:8 collector instead of 1:6. LOL
They are 100 times better than the originals and I love how you modded up the arms with LJN's. A great move. LJN also filled in quite the gap in 1:8 figures for me when younger!!
Can't wait to see more!!

Having never been the biggest Mego fan, I can share your story of old. But have you ever fixed these up! Man! I am impressed! That Robin really impresses me. The rest are great, but he really shows your skills. Something subtle and really clean and well thought out on all of them.
Love the Gordon too.
Great work. Glad to see your stuff here.
Do you work in other scales, or just Mego?

Excellent job all around on those custom Megos Roberto. I had several when I was little.
The box design is wonderful and I especially liked the "Recommended For Children Over 18 Years Old" printed on the front.:lol

I really look forward to seeing more of your amazing work! :cool:

Thanks a million for the nice words, guys!

Les, I've LONG been a huge fan of your work!! I'm so flattered you stopped in! YOU'RE a legend, man!! I'm actually kinda starstruck...

Cocoboloboy, thanks to you too for the nice words. I've always believed in infusing a little humor in my custom work wherever I can.:wave

Those are great! I have always loved the Mego style figures. Just try not to go too modern on them so they have that olde feeling.

I would say so far the Robin is the best of the bunch.

Thanks a million for the nice words, guys!

Les, I've LONG been a huge fan of your work!! I'm so flattered you stopped in! YOU'RE a legend, man!! I'm actually kinda starstruck...

Cocoboloboy, thanks to you too for the nice words. I've always believed in infusing a little humor in my custom work wherever I can.:wave

Aw, shucks! :eek:
But seriously, your stuff is stellar! No need to kowtow to the likes of me or anyone else here. Your work looks great. And again, do you work just in that scale? Or do you have other scale works? Curious. Your finishes and details really make the figures work.

Also, that may be one of the most successful custom Robins I have ever seen. I keep coming back to him. You did something really cool with him. Now to figure out what, so I can make me a cool 1940 style one for my set too! :D

Back