Customized Conan the Barbarian

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my just completed custom Schwarzenegger Conan project. This was my first time I added hair to a head sculpt. A very tedious process, but I think it came out OK. I started with the Hot Toys Commando head, Dremeled off the sculpted hair, repainted the face (except the eyes) and glued on the hair in patches. I'm using the Kaustic Plastic muscle body, which I think is a bit undersized for the Hot Toys head. I have the Phicen M34 on order, so I plan to switch it when it arrives.

IMG_5331.jpgIMG_5334.jpgIMG_5337.jpgIMG_5340.jpgIMG_5344.jpgIMG_5356.jpgIMG_5357.jpgIMG_5358.jpgIMG_5360.jpgIMG_5361.jpg

I finally swapped the Kaustic Plastic body for the Phicen M34 on my Conan custom. Big improvement! Only drawback to the Phicen M34 is that certain raised positions of the arms highlights the flattened biceps which can make the arms look puny from some angles. I eventually plan on converting this custom into the Orgy War Paint version from the first film, which is my favorite look for the character. Although I'll wait awhile to see if Chronicle Collectibles will proceed with their 1/6 War Paint version which they previewed at Comic Con last year.

Conan Phicen M34_A.jpgConan Phicen M34_B.jpgConan Phicen M34_C.jpgConan Phicen M34_D.jpgConan Phicen M34_E.jpgConan Phicen M34_F.jpg

Update on my 1/6 Conan the Barbarian project. After much research, I finally found a paint that sticks and dries well on a Phicen body (ironically it was a old bottle of Floquil railroad model paint I had in my collection for years). This gave me the go ahead to make my favorite look of the character, the war paint camo version from the first film. I also used an unpainted recast of the Hot Toys Terminator tech noir head to paint and add hair to. Very happy with how it came out. Not sure if I'll add the blood splatters to it yet.

Camo Conan 1.jpgCamo Conan 2.jpgCamo Conan 3.jpgCamo Conan 4.jpgCamo Conan 5.jpgCamo Conan 6.jpgCamo Conan 7.jpgCamo Conan 9.jpg

This is just awesome.. The blood splatter really does make the whole figure pop.. Amazing job man.

This is just awesome.. The blood splatter really does make the whole figure pop.. Amazing job man.

Thanks Goon! I came up with a blood splatter technique that worked well on this. I cut a hole in a small paper plate and taped some fabric mesh screen over the hole. I put some red paint on the mesh with a brush. Then I positioned the plate over the figure where I wanted the splatter. Using my mouth, I blew through the mesh, splattering the paint realistically, better than if I tried applying it with a brush. Here's a photo of the plate.

IMG_0389.jpg

I really like your Conan custom! What brand of paint did you use for the white and blood splatter (I saw you mention earlier about the black paint) - I am keen to find out what works on these phicen bodies.

I really like your Conan custom! What brand of paint did you use for the white and blood splatter (I saw you mention earlier about the black paint) - I am keen to find out what works on these phicen bodies.

I used Master Series Paints from Reaper Miniatures. Amazon sells them in 1/2 Ounce Dropper Bottles. I applied the white by dabbing it on with a paper towel, thin enough so it won't peel off. The red I applied more thickly so it can peel off if you stretch the skin too much.

One more tweek. I made a custom Wheel of Pain pendant (the Kaustic Plastic was a bit clunky), and I thinned out his hair a bit to reduce the "Miss Clairol" look he had from some angles. He now sits in my collection with his fellow swordsmen and adventurers.

View attachment 351416

Attachments

• Conan Phicen M34_P.jpg
    Conan Phicen M34_P.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
I decided to make a second War Paint Conan from the Hot Toys Commando head that I already had re-haired at the beginning of this project. I located a Commando body and fashioned some new outfit parts, including a film accurate belt and scabbard. The boots and sword are Kaustic Plastic, and the pants are from the Leo DiCaprio Revenant Hunter figure. I may sell this figure. If anyone is interested, PM me.

conan commando 1.jpgconan commando 2.jpgconan commando 3.jpgconan commando 4.jpgconan commando 5.jpgconan commando 6.jpgconan commando 7.jpgconan commando 8.jpgconan commando 9.jpgconan commando 10.jpgconan commando 11.jpgconan commando 12.jpg

Man, I'd be all over that if not for the body type. Just seems too static for posing and display options. The paint job, clothing and accessories look fantastic, though. Nice job on that score. Still holding out for a version utilizing the Phicen body...

Thanks lendellprime. I agree the Phicen is more posable, but it's still an open question what the longevity of the Phicen bodies is. I'll really regret selling the one on eBay if my Phicen starts to deteriorate in a few years.

Back