Building our Hot Toys display, FINISHED on pg 5

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cofphoto

Super Freak
Reaction score
******* Photos of the finished project are now on page 5 of this thread *******

Just starting this weekend, so I'll post progress photos throughout. Here is the first photo.

We're basically building out with wood and then drywalling everything. There will be 4 shelves (we're not going all the way to the floor, the bottom will be open with metal feet below). Three shelves about 15-16" tall and one shelf about 20" tall to accommodate Hulk and Iron Monger.

Left side just over 4' long, right side just over 6' long. Shelves about 16" deep.

Not 100% sure on lighting just yet, either the small round pucks or the LED strips, both from Ikea. I'm not sure that at 15-16" height, that the pucks will work. I plan on buying a set of pucks and seeing in the dark how much light they throw off when they're about 15-16" off of the ground.

Always open for thought and suggestions. I do not want doors, I prefer that everything be open.

Thanks for looking!

1239537_10152648301754460_162791501_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Building our Hot Toys display, drywall buildout

Looks like a fun project. If you are planning on having wired lights, might want to work in a way to hide your wires. Just a thought.

Good luck cof, looks like fun!

Fyi pucks look fine with Holk & Monger on shelves spaced 15-16 inches. They give off plenty of light, it all depends on the light effect you want your display to have ;)

Also agree with golfpro, best to plan your lighting and wiring before the build. Hide those fugly wires as best you can :lol

Thanks guys! The electrical part will be the easiest, as that is my background. And believe me, I plan on having as little wires showing as possible. :)

Good deal.

If you're sticking with Ikea lighting then I think your best 2 options for puck style lights are Dioders and Inredas. I love the Grundtals (?sp) too but they are chunky, (~ 2 inches tall) so they'll eat up some space on the heads of some of your figures whereas the others are flatter discs.

Thanks! I think we saw those and yes, too thick. And with them being about 16" thick, we shouldn't have to get ones that are directional. Straight down should work. My photography background makes me want everything more properly lit, and the figures lit from the front. I don't like backlit only displays at all. ;)

One question - are any of those lights dimmable do you know for sure?

I don't know about the Inreda's, but the warm white Dioder strips & puck/discs are not.

The multicolored Dioders do have a dial to go from 1 color to the next that will permit dimming as it progresses to the next hue.

You can test those out on their in store display to be sure.

Looks like its gonna be a great project dude! Just wanted to throw a suggestion as far as lighting goes, ikea changed their manufacturer so there led strips are no longer cool white lights. But now changed to a more warm white yellowish light. Which some people don't like. I bought my led from barlighting.com which offers a cool white alternative strip to ikeas. And they have great customer service too. Just a suggestion to think about if you plan on using strips :)

If electrical is you background then you won't need the kits that Barlighting sells and you can buy all the parts yourself from Amazon or eBay for much less cost and a lot more versatility, including power supplies with higher capacity.

WIP photo. Looking good so far, still working out the details of the lighting and a few other minor things, but this shows the rough layout.

Shelves 1, 3 and 4 are roughly 15" and #2 is about 20" to accommodate Hulk and Monger.

1235523_10152655903704460_421977914_n.jpg

NO GLASS!!!!

LOL I don't want any glass. I hate glass. I'll deal with the dust, it's ok.

What figures are you putting up there? I dont know if i would leave hulk out being that he has a lot of rubber exposed...

Definitely install anti-UV film on all the windows in that room.

I'll have to check, but I thought the new windows were UV coated. The three windows in my office point North and only get a little direct sunlight first thing in the morning. Otherwise it's very nice ambient, but not direct light.

Very nice. I agree no glass/ covering.

Back