Skin tone paint?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman1188

SO BE IT
Reaction score
Ok, due to head makers' unwillingness to drill heads properly and the cost of getting them painted, I've found myself in the position of figuring out how to drill out and paint some of my heads.
Is there a skin tone "base" that actually passes for fleshtone without having to add colors to it?
Years ago Testors made an A19 Flat Skin Tone Base when models like Horizon's and Screamin's were becoming popular. It was great out of the bottle but, alas, the don't make it any longer.
Does anyone make something similar nowadays?

Pea size drop of raw senna pea sized drop of raw umber Then mix in titanium white till U have the desired colour. Add a little more than half water (not tap water) and U have a pretty good wash!

I usually lay down about 8-20 very thin coats. Hope this get U started. Once u get good U will want to move on to more complex colour mixing but U can get very good paint apps with this teqniugue.

The big thing is buy artist quality paint and brushes. U have to suck it up and pay the high price! This is the bigist mistake people make. They think when they get better they will buy better tools/paint but the tools and paint are 3 quarters the battle!

Regards YourMaster

Thanks!
But I have about 100 heads that I need to paint. Mixing drops here and there and mixing in others will drain my patience before I complete the first one.
I don't mind paying for the better brushes or paints, but I need them ready to use.

Pea size drop of raw senna pea sized drop of raw umber Then mix in titanium white till U have the desired colour. Add a little more than half water (not tap water) and U have a pretty good wash!

I usually lay down about 8-20 very thin coats. Hope this get U started. Once u get good U will want to move on to more complex colour mixing but U can get very good paint apps with this teqniugue.

The big thing is buy artist quality paint and brushes. U have to suck it up and pay the high price! This is the bigist mistake people make. They think when they get better they will buy better tools/paint but the tools and paint are 3 quarters the battle!

Regards YourMaster

Yup, that's pretty much how I do it. Made a video about it but forgot to go into details as to the why and how people need to buy a crap load of art supplies. Couldn't have said it much better than how you just did.
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117646

mixing is your best bet, I have tried many of the out of the bottle flesh tones and never very happy with the base tones. Those few colors will do magic and just mix a large amount of it and so you don't have to keep mixing.

Yea This is the first place u should start. U get out what u put in if u want to be a good artist one of the first steps is to lern to mix coulors.

I can lay paint on a head and it looks really great! But what separates me from a real master painter is how they mix colours. Its the bane of my life right now. There is no way around it U need to mix or your gonna fall short of your expectations.

Regards YourMaster

Maybe priming is flesh is an option for you?
You get an even coating. I just did these in primer an hour ago and will use washes I guess:

2DF9BBA4-CCEC-4027-875F-5FA24759E67B-1083-000001F780CFF7D2.jpg

9C920A55-7862-40CC-BB3D-755DC35A2B83-1083-000001F77B90FC94.jpg

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but I really recommend Revell Matt Flesh Acrylic.
I'd been looking for a decent straight-out-the-pot skintone for ages and was so relieved to find this stuff. I used it for my Catwoman, there's some variation in those photos but basically I'd describe it as a good solid medium caucasian colour.

Another problem i see with a base flesh tone colour is everyone has a different skin colour.

The best way is to get flesh colored sculpts, then paint transluscent layers (acrylic + matte medium)
First light black,
then light brown
then thicker black for the beard area,
then some very thin red for creases/cheeks.
It gives awesome results once you've got the right move, almost HT/headplay quality! :)

I don't know if you can get it in the USA, but I really recommend Revell Matt Flesh Acrylic.
I'd been looking for a decent straight-out-the-pot skintone for ages and was so relieved to find this stuff. I used it for my Catwoman, there's some variation in those photos but basically I'd describe it as a good solid medium caucasian colour.

Is there a specific catalog # ?
I found this one: Revell 18ml 36135 35 Acrylic Matt - Flesh
but its uk only!!
AHHHH

The best way is to get flesh colored sculpts, then paint transluscent layers (acrylic + matte medium)
First light black,
then light brown
then thicker black for the beard area,
then some very thin red for creases/cheeks.
It gives awesome results once you've got the right move, almost HT/headplay quality! :)

Do you have any examples you could show?

Well, I have end results ( I never made a tutorial) but I'm a crappy photographer.

I'll try posting some pics this we. It's a method I've just discovered and I think there is room for vast improvement ( like what mixes are closer to HT's), and I'm sure the same method delivered through a airbrush would totally rock, but I'm happy with my discovery.

I've been through trial and errors to get the right transparency, but I' m sure that, in time, you can even work tiny translucent spots to get it more lifelike.

What I like with this method is it clearly is matte and translucent. But the only real requirement is a flesh cast hs.

Is there a specific catalog # ?
I found this one: Revell 18ml 36135 35 Acrylic Matt - Flesh
but its uk only!!
AHHHH
These guys and a few other eBay shops say they ship to the USA and the shipping's not too bad.
It's about time you American guys had to pay more than us for something, you know boxed figures cost like twenty dollars more over here? :wink1:

Regards YourMaster

I am about to paint my first skin toned head, so I was reading through this thread. I went to my local hobby shop that carries Model Masters paints. They did have raw sienna and raw umber, but did not carry titanium white. Is it a big deal if I use a different white? Recommendations?

I was able to find the Revell base flesh. Finally.
And, byw, has anyone ever dealt with Anticsonline.com? I tried to order from them first but got an akert saying they couldn't ship certain items overseas while trying to checkout. So I backed out. Next day the fraud division calls and asks about charges from them. I never completed the transaction, never got an order # and never got a confirmation email.
Anyone ever done business with them?

Back