Hot Toys-MMS 220-The Wolverine-Wolverine 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the stache debate is hillarious. It can be argued night and day what is "movie accurate." Fact remains it isnt what we got. Maybe its because the figs didnt include a tiny Phillips Norelco? Just a guess but I bet that would have bumped the price up more. Maybe tiny Wolvy had a lazy shave day. I know I have those.

As for tiny Wolvys...Im glad Ralph's Logan shaved! Hot damn is that HS looking good, Ralph. Great work, my friend. The adjustments really make a difference. And I have to admit after seeing Ralph's photos I can see what people say about the jaw. I think it is the chops / beard. They tried to make it poofy or all Logan-like but it ends up looking like the HS has a wider jaw. I think his chin is also too wide and the bridge of the nose seems slightly too thick.

I think Ralph is def on the right track here. Im getting my fig tonight and plan to start my own HS mod right away. Im going for a very similar look to you, Ralph. I think Im going to try some more highlights on the nose and cheekbones and add some shadowing / lines around the mouth and jowels to deepen the Hugh grimace. Im aiming for more of X-1 or X-2 facial hair with the rugged facial look of the latest film. I get its a The Wolverine HS, but I dont care. Im going to thin the chin out more and see if I cant lighten up or warm up that dull tanned skin tone. It really looks like HT figures tan every day or are stuck in the tropics.

Wow! I didn't mean to start a stach versus non-stach war. I just like mine better without it. It'll look more natural once I add a bit of stubble back in.
FILE0570_zpsfc466da8.jpg

I definitely think that the stach paint applications that come stock are too neat. It doesn't look like a real mustache. It's just a thick smeer of brown paint. Actually, I think the whole mouth area looks like Wolverine stuck his face in a bowl of chocolate pudding. It looks dirty, not rugged and hairy. That's why I changed mine. If you all like it stock, all the better ;) Keep it that way!

The removal of the stache really makes it look more true to the film. I really hate they did what they did.
Thanks man! I like it better too. It'll look even better once I add the stubbles back in.

That's so much better Ralph_Sutter. Tempted to give it a go myself! was it difficult to do?
Thanks! I wouldn't say it was extremely difficult. It definitely was nerve-wracking :p

I agree that the stache debate is hillarious. It can be argued night and day what is "movie accurate." Fact remains it isnt what we got. Maybe its because the figs didnt include a tiny Phillips Norelco? Just a guess but I bet that would have bumped the price up more. Maybe tiny Wolvy had a lazy shave day. I know I have those.

As for tiny Wolvys...Im glad Ralph's Logan shaved! Hot damn is that HS looking good, Ralph. Great work, my friend. The adjustments really make a difference. And I have to admit after seeing Ralph's photos I can see what people say about the jaw. I think it is the chops / beard. They tried to make it poofy or all Logan-like but it ends up looking like the HS has a wider jaw. I think his chin is also too wide and the bridge of the nose seems slightly too thick.

I think Ralph is def on the right track here. Im getting my fig tonight and plan to start my own HS mod right away. Im going for a very similar look to you, Ralph. I think Im going to try some more highlights on the nose and cheekbones and add some shadowing / lines around the mouth and jowels to deepen the Hugh grimace. Im aiming for more of X-1 or X-2 facial hair with the rugged facial look of the latest film. I get its a The Wolverine HS, but I dont care. Im going to thin the chin out more and see if I cant lighten up or warm up that dull tanned skin tone. It really looks like HT figures tan every day or are stuck in the tropics.

Thanks man! I definitely agree with the jaw. I darkened the beard and made the chops darker on the chin too. The original paint app was too light on the chin, and it made the chin look huge as opposed to thick, bushy beard.

I also raised the side of the beards so they come up higher to the cheekbone, other than de-staching that made the biggest difference in-hand. Pics don't do it justice. I wish I still had a regular HS so I could show a good side by side.

Haha, Ralph! You hit it on the head. More than anything I think its the dark / tan look that is ruining the look of this HS. The pudding comment is dead on. Its rediculous. The mouth area looks like he eats mud pies or something.

Keep up the work on yours. Its getting me ramped up for my own!

I will just have to live with that I guess.

Boy I hope my untrained eyes don't fail me on my next movie posters design. I might end up putting a stash on Stephen Segal here. :D

Not questioning your eyesight. Pointing out your stubborn refusal to look at sources instead of hen picking to fit your view. You never said one way or another if you've seen the movie or if you looked at the links. From you dodging to answer and stating he has no stache in the links and the movie when he clearly does in the moutain man pics leads me to believe you have not looked at either.

Or maybe if you consider the mountain man look to be "no stache" then maybe you do need to get your eyes checked.

Haha, Ralph! You hit it on the head. More than anything I think its the dark / tan look that is ruining the look of this HS. The pudding comment is dead on. Its rediculous. The mouth area looks like he eats mud pies or something.

Keep up the work on yours. Its getting me ramped up for my own!

Thanks man! More progress tomorrow! :) Looking forward to seeing yours!

It only involved paint and paint remover I assume?

Yes, I totally stripped the whole mouth and chin region using non-aceton nail polish remover and then repainted that area. Here's a pic of where I was in the process of stripping the paint (before I repainted it):

It's scary while you're doing it because you're essentially ruining and break a $225 figure. Once you get to repainting though, you feel a lot better. This was actually my first HT repaint.

Like I said, if people would like it I'll gladly post a tutorial on what exactly I did and my exact paint mixes to achieve my results.

Ok guys, I think I've figured this out. Call me crazy, but I think the stache is NOT the biggest problem. He definitely has a stubble stache at points in the movie.

The problem is the REST OF THE BEARD. It looks like stubble, NOT a beard. Thus, the impression that the jaw is wider than it's supposed to be.

Also, it's not that he doesn't have a stache in the movie, it's that his stache is insignificant in comparison to the darkness and fullness of the chops! On the figure, the stache and chops are of identical visual value, making the stache more pronounced than it should be.

Wolvie's beard/chops is/are pretty bushy in the movie, but it just looks like 5 o clock shadow on the figure.

Ok guys, I think I've figured this out. Call me crazy, but I think the stache is NOT the biggest problem. He definitely has a stubble stache at points in the movie.

The problem is the REST OF THE BEARD. It looks like stubble, NOT a beard. Thus, the impression that the jaw is wider than it's supposed to be.

Also, it's not that he doesn't have a stache in the movie, it's that his stache is insignificant in comparison to the darkness and fullness of the chops! On the figure, the stache and chops are of identical visual value, making the stache more pronounced than it should be.

Wolvie's beard/chops is/are pretty bushy in the movie, but it just looks like 5 o clock shadow on the figure.

I agree. If his chops were darker and fuller, it would take attention away from the stache.

That's exactly what I did as well. I made the whole beard darker (especially the two side tufts on the chin) and I raised where it started to closer to the cheekbones.

The stock sculpt did it backwards. The mustache and the chin were super dark, where the rest of his beard was very light. Making his jaw look huge. Reversing that (darker beard, lighter chin and stach) fixes that issue.

That's exactly what I did as well. I made the whole beard darker (especially the two side tufts on the chin) and I raised where it started to closer to the cheekbones.

The stock sculpt did it backwards. The mustache and the chin were super dark, where the rest of his beard was very light. Making his jaw look huge. Reversing that (darker beard, lighter chin and stach) fixes that issue.

And that's why I like your repaint SO DARN MUCH. Seriously, when you have time, a step-by-step walkthrough of your process would be awesome! I'm going to order an extra sculpt and give it a shot. :)

Not questioning your eyesight. Pointing out your stubborn refusal to look at sources instead of hen picking to fit your view. You never said one way or another if you've seen the movie or if you looked at the links. From you dodging to answer and stating he has no stache in the links and the movie when he clearly does in the moutain man pics leads me to believe you have not looked at either.

Or maybe if you consider the mountain man look to be "no stache" then maybe you do need to get your eyes checked.

Of course I have seen the movie. Three times. I own the steal case edition with the Jock art.

Dude, you are a mere fifteen posts in and you are calling me stubborn? despite most of this very thread moaning about the stash being too heavy and me posting frame after frame in multiple key scenes where he does not have a tash is now as 'hen picking'??!

Fifteen posts in and you acting like this? Yeah, you will fit right in here! ;)

Thanks man! More progress tomorrow! :)
Yes, I totally stripped the whole mouth and chin region using non-aceton nail polish remover and then repainted that area. Here's a pic of where I was in the process of stripping the paint (before I repainted it):.

oh that does sound scary.

Last edited:
https://greggocustoms.blogspot.com/2011/01/greggos-painting-tutorial.html?m=1

Above is a great tutorial for painting figures. These same techniques are used to paint board miniatures like the Warhammer series. Greggo even breaks down the colors he uses. The trick to these paints is using "washes." A wash is basically where the paint is watered down by 1/2 or 1/3. The more watered down the paint the more of a wash you get. All you do is apply, let dry, repeat. Occassionally seal a layer by coating with a matte varnish. Its a lengthy process but pays off with time and patience. Just about any acrylic paint will work but Games Workshop paints are primo for this. There is another popular brand sold at most hobby stores but I cant think of the name off hand.

Im headed to the hobby store tonight for supplies. Ill be sure to post what I pick up if anyone is interested. Im going to repaint the HT HS. Cant screw it up any worse than they did. Whooops!

I will await mine to arrive before I decide if I will change it or not. I totally agree on the chops not being full or beardy enough.

I was going to sell my original Wolvie now that I have this one but I will wait and compare them.

Got mine today and got a few minutes to look him over. Really like him more than I thought I would. Is it totally Jackman? No. But it's not terrible and the mustache isn't that bad especially in my cabinet's lighting. The arms are nice and tight but the lower body is a bit loose. No big deal though. Like some others here I may get another body to make use of the other outfit. His tailored suit is awesome.

Of course I have seen the movie. Three times. I own the steal case edition with the Jock art.

Dude, you are a mere fifteen posts in and you are calling me stubborn? despite most of this very thread moaning about the stash being too heavy and me posting frame after frame in multiple key scenes where he does not have a tash is now as 'hen picking'??!

Fifteen posts in and you acting like this? Yeah, you will fit right in here! ;)

What am I stubborn on? I said he has varying degrees of stache in the film, it's a fact. I'm not posting here with a definitive HE HAS LESS STACHE IN THE MOVIE THEREFORE ITS INAACURATE and completly ignore all evidence including the movie like you did.

The thread "moaned" over pics not what they saw in hand. Most of the people who complained changed their view after they got it in hand. Some havent, some people continue on even though they don't have one in hand.

Don't get mad at me just cause I called you on it. It's your own words.

Calling post counts into effect as a attempt to quiet me? Really? Do you have to be above a certain amount of posts to be allowed to bully people on their lack of posts?

Your frames were chosen at certain parts of the film that fit your view, that is hen pecking. Simple google search and scan of the images shows several parts of the movie where he has stache, and where he doesnt have stache. Or you could actually look at the links I posted, instead of lying about it.

Here just look at this one from the movie
https://www.geekrest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/movie_the_wolverine_jean_grey_trailer.jpg

or two

https://www.actionfigures.net/wp-co...esome-the-silver-samurai-is-really-cool-a.jpg

But I REALLY doubt you'll even bother since you are so deadlocked in your view.

You want to continue on let's take it to PMs. Till then I'm done beating my head against the wall that is your blindness.

Back