Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8RqBVi4_Cs]Pacific Rim - "The Digital Artistry of Pacific Rim" - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, such stunning visuals by ILM. Del Toro is a master in creating cinematic beauty.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8U16zCxCFM]Pacific Rim - "Legendary Set Visit" Featurette - YouTube[/ame]

Another BTS clip, not sure if this was shared already.

Last edited:
It's 99 degress here today but I had to drag my wife out to watch this movie. Was pure awesomeness. I can imagine people being bored of it but I'm not sure what people really expected from this movie.

It was giant robots fighting giant monsters, what more could you ask for.

There was a after credit scene? Damn I missed it :( Does anyone mind posting what it was in spoiler tags if there was one?

It's 99 degress here today but I had to drag my wife out to watch this movie. Was pure awesomeness. I can imagine people being bored of it but I'm not sure what people really expected from this movie.

It was giant robots fighting giant monsters, what more could you ask for.

There was a after credit scene? Damn I missed it :( Does anyone mind posting what it was in spoiler tags if there was one?

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'd like to know Del Toro's inspirations, I'm sure Evangelion is somewhere in there.

I forgot where I read it, but apparently he's never seen Evangelion :lol

Edit: A quick google search. found it.

Here's what Guillermo del Toro has to say:

I haven't seen Evangelion. I accept you Patlabor, [as an influence] from anime industry, or, Tetsujin-28, I don't have any problem saying 'I love them', 'they're an influence for me'. Regarding Evangelion, I have the DVDs, I haven't opened them, I haven't seen it. Yeah, there is anime influence [in Pacific Rim], but not from that anime in particular

And Travis Beacham (the screenwriter):

I did love Evangelion very much, but I actually wrote most of Pacific Rim before I saw it.

https://observationdeck.io9.com/the-comparison-everyone-wants-to-make-evangelion-vs-p-805474792

Technically, it's a mid credit scene. There's nothing at the end of the credits besides a dedication to Ray Harryhausen and a Kaiju growl sound.

...That and Batman and Iron Man show up in Jaegers...

So you missed the post post end credits after end credits ending where Godzilla shows up and fights Thor.

Not only for being giant robots, but seemingly intelligent Kaijus that come to invade earth to dominate it, and several bits in the tech and the Jaegers are similar to what you see in Evangelion.

But since he never saw Eva, it's only coincidence.

Saw it today. Really liked it. Wasn't as good as I thought it would be though. 7.5/10

One thing I noticed is that it felt like the movie was over in five minutes, despite it's two hour + length. I kinda wish this had been split up into two films.

There were so many great scenes, and far more cheesy, cliched dialogue than I was expecting. Charlie Day had the best acting IMO.

Just some very memorable parts for me:

1. The prologue bit where he says that the first Kaiju took six days to kill and destroyed several cities before he was taken out. That gave me chills because I imagine that's how it would be if this had really happened in our world. They're just so massive, so tough, and we were so unprepared that it literally took six days of jet fire and tank blasting to down the first one. Then six months later another one appears, then another one "We realized it wasn't going to stop". Epic line.

2. The Knifehead vs Gipsy Danger fight. I love how usually the pilots of a Jaeger are related because it strengthens their bond in the neural thingymajigg. I really felt for Raleigh when his brother was ripped from him.

3. That really short bit of Striker Eureka taking out the Kaiju that broke through the wall in Sydney. That was just beautiful. The speed and grace of Eureka in that scene was awe-inspiring to say the least. Truly a professional Kaiju killer.

4. Cherno Alpha + Crimson Typhoon vs Otachi + Leatherback. The way the pilots died really gets to you because it's so raw, brutal and unnatural. They were completely helpless at that point and end up either drowning or being crushed.

5. I have not slept in over 24 hours and my face just hit the keyboard. Ow.

SO I was just watching this show "Undeclared" that they just put up o Netflix. It was a show I used to watch back in 2001. It's got the likes of Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel in it. But frickin Charlie Hunnam is in it too, and he's all young and lanky. It was Jarring :lol

Back