Kaustic Plastik: Valerius - Roman Legionary - Legio XIV **NEW PICTURES page 6**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool stuff...wish Hot Toys would give us a R.Crowe Maximus....licensed....

I'll stick with Kaustic Plastik, there's something very special about Roman company producing a 100% historically correct Roman.

Posted this review of sorts over at the OSW, figured people would be interested here as well:

Well, Christmas came and so did KP's brilliant new announcements!
(check out KP's new offerings over here: https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-discussion/658362-kaustic-plastik-preview-2013-new-products-coming.html)
Meanwhile, Valerius also made it to the New World and after having him for a couple of weeks, I finally have time to do a small review and share some pics.

Mind you, this is by no means an exhaustive review, I just wanted to share some thoughts and also put Valerius side by side with my old kit-bashed Ignite Legionary.

Valerius on the right side of the screen, Ignite kit-bashed on the left.
DSC03579_zps6fe2a337.jpg

First off let me tell that although I've always been fascinated by the Roman Empire (it irks me no end that the Romans get such a bad rep, I don't see how they were any more cruel than any other people from ancient times..., I guess that's what you get for being the ones who kicked so much jewish and christian butt) I really am no expert, so any questions on accuracy I'll happily take Fabio's word, who is an expert.

Valerius looks like one mean legionary. If you're a Gaul or Celt, I'd suggest you think twice before messing around with him.
DSC03582_zps171333d7.jpg

Marius (I think that was the name of the KP01 body?) seems a little less intense, even while sporting a KP helmet...
DSC03581_zps06494377.jpg

What first struck me as I unpacked Valerius was just how heavy the whole package is. The three different helmets, plus the weapons and massive shield make for one hefty box! The second thing was just how intricate and fragile the whole thing looks. And don't be fooled, it is a fragile figure. Ignite's is much more of a toy, it's pretty lightweight and easy to handle.

Close-up of the intricate work on Valerius' Lorica Segmentata (hope I spelled that right) and gear.
DSC03590_zpsb0747d25.jpg

Comparison shot of Ignite's gear. Mind you, I'm not trying to compare two figures separated by years of advances in 1/6 collecting, but rather showing the differences in how the gear is represented. Again, I'm no expert and I suppose some differences are within the realm of possibilities in the real deal.
DSC03594_zps031c2711.jpg

Unfortunately, my Valerius came with three small problems.
A part of the left side of the shoulder guards had somehow snagged under the Lorica, which misaligned the whole thing and actually bent a couple of the metal fittings, but after a bit of careful tugging I managed to set it back in place. No apparent damage came off it as I was able to bend all the fittings back into place. So while fragile, this thing is made with excellent and tough materials.
Which brings me to the second problem. One of the helmets was slightly bent inside the box, but it was no biggie, a bit of carefully applied force and I was able to bend it back into shape. Again, fantastic materials!
The other problem is that poor Valerius has two right caligae! Maybe not so tough after all...
While a bit of a disappointment, it's really hardly noticeable, so I just left well enough alone.

DSC03587_zps587c7e4c.jpg

Ignite's caligae for comparison.
DSC03596_zps43be0ed2.jpg

Part II

One thing that bugs me a bit is how wide the Lorica Segmentata is. It's impossible to pose the arms in a relaxed stance, as the armor gets in the way. I don't know if it's accurate, but Ignite's allows for a much better fit.

It's not very apparent in the picture, but Valerius looks pretty barrel-chested next to Marius.
DSC03580_zps89d0cff6.jpg

As I said earlier, the shield is massive! Very heavy and sturdy. Ignite's looks and feels positively flimsy next to it. Having said that, I've read that painted shields like Ignite's also existed.
DSC03583_zps6a82fcbc.jpg

DSC03584_zps8e0b85d4.jpg

Couple of side shots to showcase the armor and gear. You can tell on Valerius how far from the body the arm is.
DSC03591_zps7a75aa39.jpg

Slightly wider shot of the Ignite kit-bash.
DSC03595_zpsa1213a91.jpg

So all in all, there really is no comparison in quality or craftsmanship between KP and Ignite, many years have passed between the release of these figures and it shows. To a casual collector, many of the intricate details will be lost, and on my shelf most people will just see two cool Roman Legionaries, but it really is satisfying to know that there is such a passionate company like KP making these figures.
A few tweaks here and there and I'm sure these already fantastic figures will only get better.
Looking forward to more Romans!

DSC03592_zps0aa1d5cb.jpg

DSC03597_zps414166fd.jpg

Thanks for sharing the review over here!
Looking at the two, I much prefer Ignite of Kaustic.
These are supposed to be models so having the same exact materials as the full 1:1 thing, isn't at all important. I wouldn't be at all disappointed that a model of a tank or airplane was made out of plastic instead of metal as long as the mold of it was accurate enough to the source and the finish was precise and authentic, something I think good paint is capable of doing. The metal would also needlessly weigh down the figure and make long term poses difficult. The helmets and cuirass look ill fitted and although you would find soldiers with ill fitting armor back then, I'd prefer a representation of the best fitting armor, especially a Lorica segmentata that was fully segmented (something that I feel is very possible with modern advances in 1:6 figures) Not to mention that the pot metal look of the helmets isn't at all appealing to me.

It's great to hear that you're very happy with it! Personally, I'll save my money for ACI's version.

So, are the only companies doing figures like this ACI and Kaustic Plastic?
Some of this Roman figures look pretty interesting, love the look of this upcoming Kaustic figure:
kp06-lucius1.jpg

That lion head is awesome.

So, are the only companies doing figures like this ACI and Kaustic Plastic?
Some of this Roman figures look pretty interesting, love the look of this upcoming Kaustic figure:
kp06-lucius1.jpg

That lion head is awesome.

A company called Ignite, that later became Crazy Owners did a bunch of Roman era figures many years back. but aside from this, there are no other companies doing Roman era figures. Abake's other figure in his review above is a modified Ignite set.

There is a possibility of Big Chief Studios making a Roman era Rory Centurion from the new Doctor Who series, but that's a long shot.

As for the Lion head pelt, I hate it. It doesn't look realistic at all. I think it's possible to make a far better looking 1:6 lion head pelt then that.

A company called Ignite, that later became Crazy Owners did a bunch of Roman era figures many years back. but aside from this, there are no other companies doing Roman era figures. Abake's other figure in his review above is a modified Ignite set.

There is a possibility of Big Chief Studios making a Roman era Rory Centurion from the new Doctor Who series, but that's a long shot.

As for the Lion head pelt, I hate it. It doesn't look realistic at all. I think it's possible to make a far better looking 1:6 lion head pelt then that.

Well, if your face was cut off, stuffed and turned into a hat it'd look pretty weird as well. :lol:wink1:

But seriously, i get where you're coming from, i'm more in love with the idea than the execution; nothing says badass like turning one of natures top predators into a hat.

So out of the two companies, which would you say is the better?

Well, if your face was cut off, stuffed and turned into a hat it'd look pretty weird as well. :lol:wink1:

But seriously, i get where you're coming from, i'm more in love with the idea than the execution; nothing says badass like turning one of natures top predators into a hat.

So out of the two companies, which would you say is the better?

It depends on the specific figure, but of all that I've seen so far, ACI is the best.
Here's their soon to be released first non-gladiator Roman:
aci-romangeneral-27.jpg

Here's the thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110509

And a tease of their version of the Lorica Segmentata:
Roman-Soldier-Winter-Teaser2-20111221-980.jpg

And the thread for this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4062243

I like both KP and ACI, but i dont like the fragility of the parts or the look of the body and heads used for the KP Roman figs at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the review over here!
Looking at the two, I much prefer Ignite of Kaustic.
These are supposed to be models so having the same exact materials as the full 1:1 thing, isn't at all important. I wouldn't be at all disappointed that a model of a tank or airplane was made out of plastic instead of metal as long as the mold of it was accurate enough to the source and the finish was precise and authentic, something I think good paint is capable of doing. The metal would also needlessly weigh down the figure and make long term poses difficult. The helmets and cuirass look ill fitted and although you would find soldiers with ill fitting armor back then, I'd prefer a representation of the best fitting armor, especially a Lorica segmentata that was fully segmented (something that I feel is very possible with modern advances in 1:6 figures) Not to mention that the pot metal look of the helmets isn't at all appealing to me.

It's great to hear that you're very happy with it! Personally, I'll save my money for ACI's version.

Glad you liked the review!
I agree for the most part on your assessment regarding the use of metal and the fragility of some details, but it just comes down to the philosophy of the company.
Reminds me of the discussion in WWII forums back in the day over DML plastic accessories vs. DiD's use of metal and (p)leather. Some felt metal and leather (and sometimes fabric as well) would never achieve the level of detail of plastic, while others felt the materials made the "model" more realistic.
For what KP are trying to do, i.e. "museum quality" figures, I guess that metal parts are the way to go. I'm pretty happy with both the KP and the (kit-bashed) Ignite figures. It's nice that they don't look exactly the same on my shelf.

I like both KP and ACI, but i dont like the fragility of the parts or the look of the body and heads used for the KP Roman figs at all.

Actually, I find the bodies very good. Very sturdy and quite articulated given the restraints of the sculpt.

Just got this figure to go with ACI's Roman General and it is a very nice looking once together. I just checked the first page to see when this figure was released and I can't believe only Q1 2012. The reason I say is, I purchased this on eBay since it is sold out everywhere and the glue is horrific. The figure was BNIB and as I was putting the belt on and the buckle can detached from the pleather belt. Oh well, **** happens, right? Then the glue from the scabbard comes detached from the belt. Now I'm pissed. Then I start inspecting it more and all of the metal gold plates around the belt are coming undone. If you are going to use metal pieces, use a freakin' quality glue!!! I can see this thing completely falling apart in a couple years if the belt and scabbards are any indication.

Anyway, after an hour of super gluing **** back together, he really does look awesome. The shield ways a ton and I don't see him holding it up very long before gravity take control, so I just stood it up in front of him for display.

I really like the new offerings coming out from KP and will give it another go with a couple Legionnaires. However, I hope they are aware if the glue is a greater issue than just mine and address it. Also, the shields need to be much lighter.

88b629cc-a8ee-46e8-a7c3-7412c8fd1622_zpsc52b8793.jpg

Not to mention that the pot metal look of the helmets isn't at all appealing to me.

Mate... Kaustic Plastik it's an Italian Action Figure company.
We are based in Rome.
We have collaboration of Italian Archelogist to release our figures.
The "pot" metal look, it's simply a perfect replica of a REAL Roman Helm.
I don't think any Chinese company can have access to the museum material we can have here in Italy.
Our figures metal parts are made with the same technic used in Italian Jewellery.
This make our figure something unique in the 1:6 world.
We know a lot of person prefer Plastic Parts, but it's not our style.. For us this figures are NOT TOYS, are Museum replica, and only Metal can give justice to a museum replica.
The quality of Metal we use it's second to nobody in the world, and it's not the cheap die cast material used in Asia production.

Last edited:
Just got this figure to go with ACI's Roman General and it is a very nice looking once together. I just checked the first page to see when this figure was released and I can't believe only Q1 2012. The reason I say is, I purchased this on eBay since it is sold out everywhere and the glue is horrific. The figure was BNIB and as I was putting the belt on and the buckle can detached from the pleather belt. Oh well, **** happens, right? Then the glue from the scabbard comes detached from the belt. Now I'm pissed. Then I start inspecting it more and all of the metal gold plates around the belt are coming undone. If you are going to use metal pieces, use a freakin' quality glue!!! I can see this thing completely falling apart in a couple years if the belt and scabbards are any indication.

Anyway, after an hour of super gluing **** back together, he really does look awesome. The shield ways a ton and I don't see him holding it up very long before gravity take control, so I just stood it up in front of him for display.

I really like the new offerings coming out from KP and will give it another go with a couple Legionnaires. However, I hope they are aware if the glue is a greater issue than just mine and address it. Also, the shields need to be much lighter.

88b629cc-a8ee-46e8-a7c3-7412c8fd1622_zpsc52b8793.jpg

Yes mate, we noticed the problem too.
We are working hard to find a better way to glue this metal details on leather!

Back