Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the mods. I wonder if anyone might have a damaged/leaking DX 02 suit that they'd sell on the cheap?

Chest mod is the only one I've done so far, I have a couple lforigno capes coming soon hopefully, personally I'm really happy with the way the figure came, for the price though I see why people were peeved

Finally got around to the eyelid painting mod. I didn't trust my unsteady hands to paint that close to the eyeball, so I removed the pers.

First I took out the aluminum ring inside the head. Then I used a small (eyeglass) flat head to work around the edge between the cowl and the plastic ring, gently separating the glue from the plastic. I wouldn't recommend using an exacto for this, as tempted as one may be, because you gotta put some force into it, and it'd be too easy for that exacto to cut/gouge some delicate part of the cowl...or hand.

photo%2520odjf.JPG

photo.JPG

Here's the head, minus the plastic ring, with the pers made reachable.

photoscc.JPG

Next I just popped the pers eyes out using a tweezers (the eyes sit in a soft plastic socket, similar to peg/socket wrists. But you'll want to be careful tugging around the pers hinges). I left the lid/plate untouched since it was only the eyes I worried about. It does make a difference to paint them. I ended up following a fellow member's advice to add a gloss to the edges of the lid, and corners of the eyes, in hand it adds a bit of natural catch-light to the lids. I used a mix of mars/ivory black acrylic, working in thin water diluted layers for a smooth finish. Nice thing is that the plastic and aluminum ring sit in there snug afterwards. No need to glue. So I can get in and out real easy again if I need too.

photo.JPG

You should be. -_-

:lol

Well I did the chest mod. Took about an hour tops. Also for those NOT using a custom cape AND doing the chest mod, it's alot easier to put the cape clips in while you have the chest off and to get it to lay really flat, then put it back on the body.

Also, if you don't want to cut off the elbow parts that tend to stick out, trimming the gloves AND widening the gauntlets to cover the gloves, brings down the elbow piece to EB at its proper place jus about.

So so far the mods I've dont are:
-eyelid squint
-Medi mouthpiece
-glove trim
-gauntlet widening
-elbow "pad" bending
-chest realignment

I think I'm done now :lol

Hey guys, I am pretty new to these boards (been lurking for a while) and I wanted to share a mod I did for the mouth plates on the DX12 head. I actually only have the head for now (a complete figure is on preorder with BBTS). I scored a cheap head on ebay just for mods (and, yes, I painted the eyelids - huge improvement). The head is currently sitting atop a Medicom TDK body. Apologies in advance for the low res pics.

First is the "smirk" mouth. I was able to separate the lips with an exacto knife and, using a pair of tweezers, get the mouth to have a slightly agape look:

DSC02128.jpg

I think this achieves a pretty decent open mouth look but it still retains some of the smirk on either side of the mouth. I think the next pic captures the look rather well:
DSC02160.jpg

I wasn't able to document the process as I did this mod on the fly but I basically sliced the lips apart with an exacto knife, forced them apart with tweezers, carved out some material with the knife, and inserted a flathead screwdriver followed by the end of a small paintbrush to retain the open shape. Doing this actually caused much of the lip paint to rub off so I had to repaint the lips in the end so they are a little rough. I also painted the inside of the mouth a dark red/brown to give it a more natural look.

Here is one of my favorite shots:
DSC02170.jpg

I am pretty satisfied with this mod and it looks killer compared to the stock "smirk" but it wasn't exactly easy and I was only able to do it with confidence because I purchased an extra head. I definitely think the modded DX12 head is far superior to my Medicom head but that's just my opinion. I will add another post with my second open mouth mod here in a little bit. And forgive me if I am not posting this in an acceptable fashion - never posted before! Let me know what you guys think.

Apart from the usual mod

Dx02 faceplate
Painted the eye lids black
Gauntlets opening mod
Gloves mods

I also replaced the uppder parts from the dx02 armor.
So I replaced the shoulders, kevlar connector and collar.

Basically I highlighted in red the parts form the DX02.
I think the shoulder pads looks more in scale and the kevlar connector ar emore accurate.

P1050782.jpg
wow this shoulder and chest alignment mod makes the DX12 look really good. well done Elvis and rest of the guys :clap

^^^ He didn't do the chest alignment mod.

:lol

Well I did the chest mod. Took about an hour tops. Also for those NOT using a custom cape AND doing the chest mod, it's alot easier to put the cape clips in while you have the chest off and to get it to lay really flat, then put it back on the body.

Also, if you don't want to cut off the elbow parts that tend to stick out, trimming the gloves AND widening the gauntlets to cover the gloves, brings down the elbow piece to EB at its proper place jus about.

So so far the mods I've dont are:
-eyelid squint
-Medi mouthpiece
-glove trim
-gauntlet widening
-elbow "pad" bending
-chest realignment

I think I'm done now :lol

Awesome.

I think the chest alignment mod was a bigger deal on mine because the the original glue job was really poor, and made re-gluing it a challenge... it's a long story, and too hard to explain.

What glue did you end up using to get the chest plate back in place? I tried 3 different glues. I really don't like using super glue because it makes things stiff, but for parts of it was forced to. After it dried, the chest came out misshapen because of the super glue. It took a lot of heating and reshaping to get it where it's supposed to be.

In the end, I'm glad I did the mod, but it really was a huge pain on my end.

Was it difficult, LipSmack? I'd love if someone posted a video tutorial for it.

I took lots of pictures along the way (which I will post soon), and plan to do another video updating everything that's been covered in this thread since my other videos (including the chest fix).

^^^ He didn't do the chest alignment mod.

Awesome.

I think the chest alignment mod was a bigger deal on mine because the the original glue job was really poor, and made re-gluing it a challenge... it's a long story, and too hard to explain.

What glue did you end up using to get the chest plate back in place? I tried 3 different glues. I really don't like using super glue because it makes things stiff, but for parts of it was forced to. After it dried, the chest came out misshapen because of the super glue. It took a lot of heating and reshaping to get it where it's supposed to be.

In the end, I'm glad I did the mod, but it really was a huge pain on my end.

I just did the re-alignment mod.
It was easier than I thought tbh.
I will try to post pics soon.

For the glue I used loctite flex gel. It's really great cause it doens't stick in seconds, you still have some time to positionned it right.

I just did the re-alignment mod.
It was easier than I thought tbh.
I will try to post pics soon.

For the glue I used loctite flex gel. It's really great cause it doens't stick in seconds, you still have some time to positionned it right.

I'll race you...

Absolutely brilliant Maglor! Bit scary though since the chance of actually damaging the figure is pretty high with this particular mod.

Back