SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back again.
Me and the missus just shared a special moment. We opened a bottle of wine, placed Ash in the middle of the living room table and just sat there and enjoyed and discussed the figure. She normally does not enjoy my hobby that much, but she really liked your work Nathan and the fact that the figure is custom made and one of its kind :p

Anyway, we both agreed on that Betomatali sculpt + SilentSurfer paintjob easily equals or even surpasses current HT quality. Something that has bothered me lately with HT quality is the paint job on accessories, your paint job on the Ash shotgun is probably 100 times better then the paint job on any HT weapon i've seen, i hope HT reads this and learns the lesson!

Cool story Cybervillian. That's what's great about well-done customs, they're special pieces and often surpass what can be accomplished in mass-production.

Thank you very much CyberVillain for all the praise. The fees pay the bills, but it's the praise that keeps my fires burning. I'm glad you love Ash. It was my honor to make that piece for you, and I was sad to finally see him leave my shelves, but at least I got to enjoy him for a while too. Enjoy!

About the shotgun: Along with what Marf just said, customs vs mass is the difference between passion vs job, or pride vs paycheck.

Thanks to everybody for the compliments. I really appreciate the feedback. It's my pleasure to impress you.:wink1:

The way your paint highlights all the wrinkles in the sculpt is amazing!

I've figured out how to treat portraits as though they are cast in silicon even if they are solid with an opaque base coat. That's what makes the wrinkles look so natural. Thanks for the compliment.

All I have to say is...Thank you for making this the centerpiece of my collection. You made something that was already good into something GREAT!!!!!

I'm glad you love it. It was nice to finally try my paint style on something lifesize. I'm please the results were such a success.

Up next, my own custom 12" Jason part 3. After working on the Sideshow PF, I just had to see how good the classic 12" could be.

Uploading pics now...:impatient:

Here is a repaint of the Classic Jason Voorhees from Sideshow. I started my professional career by pushing my own collectibles to what I felt was their ultimate level of complete and total awesomeness, and sometimes I just have to revisit that for myself.

This has always been one of my all time favorite Jason figures and Sideshow pieces. This is the figure that started my entire Sideshow collection and began the transition from model building to figure customizing. I always wanted the ultimate part 3 Jason model kit, but nobody made it. Then Sideshow brought me this.

7301_press01-001.jpg

I had always wanted to redo the mask to make it look better both in size and paint, but it wasn't until I rediscovered the hands I had saved from this old model kit of Inidana Jones by Horizon that I decided to go even further.

indy_front.jpg

That model was based on this poster art.

IndianaJonesAndTheRaidersOfTheLo-1.jpg

I loved the hands on this model, but the likeness never inspired me to paint it up (and now I'm glad I didn't), so I had eventually tossed the rest of it, but saved the hands for some unknown, great future project. The right arm had an alternate hand that was meant to hold the machete from Temple of Doom. It was basically the same thing but with a machete grip in the hand and a bent thumb.

After painting the Sideshow PF, and then finding these again, I couldn't think of a more deserving character or project to receive these hands than my part 3 Jason. Not only were they amazing sculpts, but they both had that very characteristic expressiveness that Richard Brooker gave to Jason with his por'trayal of him in part 3.

cap025.jpg

A little mutilation of the original figure, some Frankensteining of some new hands onto the body, removing of the sculpted machete handle from the right hand, insertion of the Sideshow machete and putty blending the palm to it, a little paint, and viola!

Jason1.jpg

Jason3.jpg

Jason2.jpg

RightHand2.jpg

TwoHeads.jpg

I was so happy with the way this head turned out that I am now afraid to put the mask on it for fear of scratching the paint.

Face01.jpg

What I have decided to do is to sacrifice my second part 3 figure, so that I can repaint that head and make it the permanent masked portrait for this figure.

BeforeandAfter.jpg

HeadComparison.jpg

HeadComparison3.jpg

HeadComparison2.jpg

I have yet to finish the mask, having only filled the holes for redrilling, trimmed the edges and eye holes to give the illusion that the mask isn't quite so thick, and once it's all done and repainted, I'll most likely attach it to the second head permanently so I don't have to worry about the elastic straps wearing out again as the originals have. I'm also hoping to make it look like it fits a bit more snugly like Sideshow's later version do. The only obstacle so far is that this mask material does not flex at all, not even when heated with a blowdryer.

MaskinProgress.jpg

I'll have to wait for now on painting the second head and mask. I've got customers waiting. Thanks for letting me indulge myself a little.

Back to work.:wave

Me and the missus just shared a special moment. We opened a bottle of wine, placed Ash in the middle of the living room table and just sat there and enjoyed and discussed the figure. She normally does not enjoy my hobby that much, but she really liked your work Nathan and the fact that the figure is custom made and one of its kind :p
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Your Ash truly turned out amazing.

Thanks guys for all the compliments. I'm glad you like my revision of everybody's favorite retard. :monkey1Oops, that was very popularity correct. I mean 'Pamela's special, special boy'. I just wish now that I could get the blood splatter off of the shirt. Oh well. Once the other head and mask are done, I'll be adding some dirt and weathering all over anyway. Maybe it won't stand out too much then.

I'll post more pics when he's truly finished. In the mean time, this is what's on my table now. This is the cop Joker head from the DX Joker. I didn't paint the eyes on this one since they were already where they needed to be, but he'll be receiving a faux hair treatment shortly.
02-1.jpg

Back