REFERENCE - HT True Type Body Variations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of confusion around this site regarding HT's True Types now that they have various versions of it now, so I figured it might help people if there were a spot to quickly identify them all and which versions are in use for figures out there to understand it clearly.

Hot Toys True Type (Caucasian - Relaunch Version)

This is the standard True Type body currently available for purchase, I believe it still may be in use for full Hot Toys figures.

Example Figure - Harvey Dent / Two-Face comes on this body.

360CAUCASIAN%20302x439_200DPI.jpg

Hot Toys True Type (Caucasion - with Narrowed Shoulder)

This body is just like the other caucasian body except that the shape of the shoulder piece is more natural and not so much a perfect sphere like the standard body, the arms also come closer to the body at the shoulder, tightening the overall width of the shoulders as well as making the contour from the neck to the arms more natural.

Example Figure - DX Joker comes on this body.

TTM08%20CAUCASIAN%20302x439.jpg

Hot Toys True Type (Caucasion - Slim Version)

This is a True Type body with the overall mass of the body slimmed down, skinner torso, arms and legs, standard feet and wrists as all TT bodies, neck post included is smaller than the standard to match the body. You can use posts from other TT bodies with it, but some articulation may be lost because of the size difference, unless you customize the opening for the neck.

Example Figure - Michael Jackson comes on a variation of this body.

TTM09_CAUCASIAN%20SlimVer.jpg

There is also an African-American - Slim Version out there as well. I have not seen and AA release of the Narrow yet, and I know that the standard body had been previously released in African-American and Asian skin tones.

Slim TT is way smaller in height too

Not too much if you use the neck post from a different TT. From the factory it is smaller, but I put my Jack Sparrow on one and used the original Jack neck because the Slim's was too tiny looking for him, and his height hardly changed from being on the regular TT he came on, so if you're looking to gain the height difference, you better use the Slim's neck post, if you don't you may not gain any difference at all, certainly less.

Not too much if you use the neck post from a different TT. From the factory it is smaller, but I put my Jack Sparrow on one and used the original Jack neck because the Slim's was too tiny looking for him, and his height hardly changed from being on the regular TT he came on, so if you're looking to gain the height difference, you better use the Slim's neck post, if you don't you may not gain any difference at all, certainly less.

Yes, he is. :lol He's about a half inch shorter. I'll say this once again here, so that you will hopefully quit confusing people. Only the longer neck adapter eats up the difference. The standard neck adapters that come with the standard and narrow shouldered TTs are identical in height to the one that comes with the slim TT. Compare them straight across and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I suspect your Jack has one of these longer adapters.

I'm planning a photo comp review of the three versions soon.

I suspect your Jack has one of these longer adapters.

He doesn't, his neck is the same size as one that comes with the Narrow.

Perhaps the clearest way to say it is, your figure could end up shorter or the same height as other HT figures if you use the Slim, depending on the parts you're using it with.

He doesn't, his neck is the same size as one that comes with the Narrow.

Perhaps the clearest way to say it is, your figure could end up shorter or the same height as other HT figures if you use the Slim, depending on the parts you're using it with.

Absolutely, but the differences in height between the Standard/Narrow Shouldered bodies and the Slim is far from negligible. I'm not trying to be mean here, but again, I'd just hate to see someone ruin their custom based on this little discrepancy.

Absolutely, but the differences in height between the Standard/Narrow Shouldered bodies and the Slim is far from negligible. I'm not trying to be mean here, but again, I'd just hate to see someone ruin their custom based on this little discrepancy.

Well I agree, it's a really tricky thing. I have a friend that got a photo from someone he knows showing the height differences and was going to use the Slim to shorten his Jack Sparrow and I showed him how it didn't work.

As base bodies, there are height differences, and then depending on what clothes, shoes, necks, etc. you use, that can all change.

The main thing i was concerned for people to know with this thread is that the Slim and Narrow are not the same thing. Some people around here have been calling the Narrow body slim because the shoulders are slimmed down and people are buying Slim bodies thinking they're getting the Narrow because of the name discrepancy and as figures are being discussed now as to what body to use, it seems like people have no clue the proper names and all so I figure if they can see the photos and have a rough idea what figures are using what bodies from Hot Toys, they can understand which is right for their replacements/customs/etc.

Well I agree, it's a really tricky thing. I have a friend that got a photo from someone he knows showing the height differences and was going to use the Slim to shorten his Jack Sparrow and I showed him how it didn't work.

As base bodies, there are height differences, and then depending on what clothes, shoes, necks, etc. you use, that can all change.

The main thing i was concerned for people to know with this thread is that the Slim and Narrow are not the same thing. Some people around here have been calling the Narrow body slim because the shoulders are slimmed down and people are buying Slim bodies thinking they're getting the Narrow because of the name discrepancy and as figures are being discussed now as to what body to use, it seems like people have no clue the proper names and all so I figure if they can see the photos and have a rough idea what figures are using what bodies from Hot Toys, they can understand which is right for their replacements/customs/etc.

I think the best comparison would be a Luke and Han scenario. If you're looking for a body to look short and thin, like Luke Skywalker, then use the Slim version. If you're looking for a heroic, natural looking body of average height, like Han Solo, then use the Narrow Shouldered version. Whether or not they like Star Wars, people should be familiar with the characters.

I think the best comparison would be a Luke and Han scenario. If you're looking for a body to look short and thin, like Luke Skywalker, then use the Slim version. If you're looking for a heroic, natural looking body of average height, like Han Solo, then use the Narrow Shouldered version. Whether or not they like Star Wars, people should be familiar with the characters.

Yes.

Most characters would be best served by a reg or narrow TT. The Slim works well for Luke, MJs, etc. I do have plans at some point to transplant a Slim chest to a reg TT to maintain height.

The Slim is a very niche body, nice to have available, but of the 3, I think the Narrow is the best for the average need.

So let's move on to the possible variations in neck adapters. How many types of these are there? I know there's one for Dragon/Sideshow/neck-included-in-the-sculpt figures (like the Joker or Two-Face), then there are the ones for the heads without a neck (like Bruce Wayne).

That's where it gets confusing, as I think there are FOUR of those:

1. Standard, like are included with the narrow-shouldered body.

2. The one included with the slim body.

3. An extra-long neck, included with TDK Batman and possibly other figures? (This one I'm unsure of, as I don't own TDK Batman.)

4. The one included with the HT Tony Stark suit set, which has a larger post on the top to accomodate the larger Stark headsculpt.

So, how do these four differ in length, girth, etc?

I'm going to be getting in a packaged narrow-shoulder TrueType and slim TrueType soon, and also have the Stark suit adapter so I can snap some reference photos.

(I left out anomalies like the original Batman Begins neck adapter which had a proprietary connector, and variations in skin color.)

The standard TT and the Narrow use the same size neck post, the Slim comes with a neck that is shorter and skinner.

In my experience, the necks like Stark and TDK Batman are a specialty for specific full figures based on their costume, like making sure the Bruce head was high enough on the TDK body, or Stark's head being made for the different post used on the IM body.

Got my custom House on a slim and it looks worlds better than the Narrow TT I was using. Sure he is a bit shorter, but his neck is more elongated and the clothes fit perfectly.

Can anyone provide a photo that compares a "normal" TrueType neck to the TDK Batman neck? I've got a TDK Wayne head (without neck) on the way and now I'm afraid it's not going to display right on my suited Wayne figure....

The standard TT and the Narrow use the same size neck post, the Slim comes with a neck that is shorter and skinner.

In my experience, the necks like Stark and TDK Batman are a specialty for specific full figures based on their costume, like making sure the Bruce head was high enough on the TDK body, or Stark's head being made for the different post used on the IM body.

The one for the Slim is narrower, but it isn't shorter. From socket to post, it's the same length. It's a bit misleading because if you look at the slim neck post, it actually looks longer, but that's just cosmetic. Again, from socket to post, and how it sits on ANY TrueType, they're identical in height.

Can anyone provide a photo that compares a "normal" TrueType neck to the TDK Batman neck? I've got a TDK Wayne head (without neck) on the way and now I'm afraid it's not going to display right on my suited Wayne figure....

HTneck.jpg

here you go normal on the right the TDK on the left

HTneck.jpg

here you go normal on the right the TDK on the left
Thanks... well, bugger, though I've already come up with a solution.

With a little work with a set of needle-nosed pliers you can get the rubber "socket" section to come out of the head. I should be able to pack something in there so that the head socket is not quite as deep overall, making up for the difference in neck length.

Back