1/5 VS 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncanny Web-Slinger

Super Freak
Reaction score
So being still relatively new to this board i have taken note of a number of things:

1. People use loads of acronyms

2. People will hate, others will love, insults ensue.

And the most...

3. it will always come down to a scale argument despite the format or line.

Number 3 seems to happen in the marvel forums the most. I have a number of marvel Comiquettes and one Premium Format, "whats that only one Premium Format, you say!!!", yes for you see i dont have loads of space in my home for many statues, at the moment i have 5 statues coming ithe next three months and no space for them, of these statues only 1 is a Premium Format, so i am perfectly happy to have mainly 1/5 pieces. I do wish however that SSC would keep things consistent in characters of a line like Star Wars and Marvel.

Now i suck at math, so answer me this, if a character is posed on a higher base than another or in a crouched or folded pose now do you clearly classify it as a 1/4 or 1/5, SSC only gives dimensions of Height, Width & Depth.

It seems to me that if you're gonna display a 1/4 and 1/5 piece near one another, depending on the pose and character the difference can almost be neglegible.

On the boards, there are so many "i wish it was 1/4 instead of 1/5" or "1/4 or Fail" and i would think, 'what's the big deal i mean its not like it's 1/4 to 1/7', so why all the haters, its SOMETIMES only a matter of an inch or two on some, slight thigh thick/thin-ness.

To me i'm damn glad to be getting a character that none thought would ever make it into production, others will flat out dismiss it based on it not being 1/4.

This seems to be the way many fans feel, so tell me why does sideshow continue to pump out more and more 1/5 pieces if a large number of their customers dismiss them on preview pictures.

Now looking around my room closely i think i would classify my Carnage as 1/4 and Hulk as 1/5 (hulk is huge) because if i imagine them both standing next to each other Carnage seems a bit too big next to Hulk, but at the same time i would classify Punisher as 1/5, but next to Carnage they look about the same.

I'm not looking to start a flame war so please bare that in mind.

Last edited:
you can tell the difference between 1/5 & 1/4 if the statues are grouped together

That's true. My Star Wars GG statues which are 1/6ish look small and almost out of place compared to my MK VI Maquette. I wish they were 1/4 or Sideshow made my favorite characters in Premium Format form but for now they'll do...

Number 3 seems to happen in the marvel forums the most. I have a number of marvel Comiquettes and one Premium Format, "whats that only one Premium Format, you say!!!", yes for you see i dont have loads of space in my home for many statues, at the moment i have 5 statues coming ithe next three months and no space for them, of these statues only 1 is a Premium Format, so i am perfectly happy to have mainly 1/5 pieces. I do wish however that SSC would keep things consistent in characters of a line like Star Wars and Marvel.

Now i suck at math, so answer me this, if a character is posed on a higher base than another or in a crouched or folded pose now do you clearly classify it as a 1/4 or 1/5, SSC only gives dimensions of Height, Width & Depth.

It seems to me that if you're gonna display a 1/4 and 1/5 piece near one another, depending on the pose and character the difference can almost be neglegible.

On the boards, there are so many "i wish it was 1/4 instead of 1/5" or "1/4 or Fail" and i would think, 'what's the big deal i mean its not like it's 1/4 to 1/7', so why all the haters, its SOMETIMES only a matter of an inch or two on some, slight thigh thick/thin-ness.

To me i'm damn glad to be getting a character that none thought would ever make it into production, others will flat out dismiss it based on it not being 1/4.

This seems to be the way many fans feel, so tell me why does sideshow continue to pump out more and more 1/5 pieces if a large number of their customers dismiss them on preview pictures.

Now looking around my room closely i think i would classify my Carnage as 1/4 and Hulk as 1/5 (hulk is huge) because if i imagine them both standing next to each other Carnage seems a bit too big next to Hulk, but at the same time i would classify Punisher as 1/5, but next to Carnage they look about the same.

Heya Nova, some good points in there. I think it's a matter of preference, some like variations in scale in their collections but for me it's breaks the unity of the setup so I try to display the same scale next to each other.

As for how to quantify scale, you can still take height measurements no matter what position they are in by breaking down the body parts and measuring them then adding it together. I do sole to ankle, ankle to hip, hip to shoulder, shoulder to tip of head. (if there is no flexion at any of the joint you can skip a step lets say from sole to hip if his leg is straight.) Then you can compare it with MU to check.

That being said, you also need to take into account girth and proportionate scale. So you would take the head of another statue for instance and compare them side by side.

I like to mix and match my pieces costumewise and formatwise so I just get 1/4 scale PFs and comiquettes if I like them, and then mix and match and skip 1/5 scale altogether as I like the larger 1/4 scale format. Just a matter of preference I think.

As for the popularity of the 1/5 scale, I think the more popular character will still do ok post NRD but Hobgoblin for example is sitting there for weeks without even being sold out. You'll see a glut of 1/5 Nightcrawler and Colossus comiquettes once they ship and people start canceling too. The real test is how well the 1/5 scale does after the NRD. I will never support it because I want more 1/4 pieces to be made in different costumes by Sideshow.

Why sideshow continues it is because they feel that to double dip on a character and make people get 2 different versions they need to change the scale to make him palatable so people will say oh look here's a very different version I need to get him, he's even a different size. I would rather get a custom than a smaller statue tho' and would gladly get X-men and other Marvel characters in their different costumes in the same scale as long as the poses and sculpts are new.

I don't know why some members resort to insults but I guess that is just the sad way they are, but you get a mixture and there are tons of really nice peeps on this board who don't have to fling insults to compensate.

1/4 scale is 25% bigger than 1/5 scale. It might "only" be a few inches in height but it also factors in to the bulk of a statue as well. The size difference matters to me because I like my display to be consistent.
I think it is pretty clear with how well Venom, Carnage and Spiderman turned out at 1/4 as comiquettes that match in with PF's that the 1/5 scale should be dropped. But it won't be.

1. Uniformity in scale is very important because if you display a 1/5th next to a 1/4th, it looks goofy. Can you imagine how silly it will look to try and display the 1/5th Colossus with a 1/4th Cyclops?
  2. My 1/4th get far, far more attention from guests and friends than my smaller statues and Hot Toys; when I had the Rogue comiquette, someone actually asked my why she was so much smaller.

1/4th all the way. :wink1:

Last edited:
1/4 scale is 25% bigger than 1/5 scale. It might "only" be a few inches in height but it also factors in to the bulk of a statue as well. The size difference matters to me because I like my display to be consistent.

This. :lecture

1/5 statues no matter how gorgeous would be more impressive in 1/4. We aren't talking Hulk days were they were solid, most are fairly hollow in comparison so I don't see the need for mixing the scales amongst pieces. Spider-man for example should have all comiquettes I'm the same scale, Hobgoblin for example is mindbloggling in a collector's display

Why sideshow continues it is because they feel that to double dip on a character and make people get 2 different versions they need to change the scale to make him palatable so people will say oh look here's a very different version I need to get him, he's even a different size. I would rather get a custom than a smaller statue tho' and would gladly get X-men and other Marvel characters in their different costumes in the same scale as long as the poses and sculpts are new.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. From a business standpoint, I understand why Sideshow wanted to test the waters with the 1/5th scale considering that it looks like the 1/5th AH! and Mark Brooks lines are RIP. They were thinking that a) smaller size = less material-more profit and b) people would be encouraged to buy the same character in both scales.

However, the difference is that people could display the AH!/Mark Brooks lines themed together. Sideshow should have looked at the many, many Bowen vs. Sideshow threads and recognized that 80% of fans prefer the 1/4th scale and want to display them together.

I am a very big X-Men fan, but I will pass on any 1/5th they release. The only exception would be a classic Jean Grey Phoenix...

Comiquette or Fail!
For alot of characters, I agree, but Doom is perfect with mixed media and the mixed media on the Star Wars PFs really makes that line stand out. I was thinking that they should make a 'god' Selene comiquette with LED light up eyes...

1/5 scale is growing on me. The statue is big enough but you can still accommodate group displays.

I am getting rid of my 1:5 scale collection and splitting up my display to 1:4, 1:2 and lifesize across my house. Got some good money for the Hugh comiquettes I am replacing with Premium Formats. Many scales look messy too close together.

So being still relatively new to this board i have taken note of a number of things:

1. People use loads of acronyms

2. People will hate, others will love, insults ensue.

And the most...

3. it will always come down to a scale argument despite the format or line.

***quickly runs to get dictionary***.

ah yes i see what your getting at.:monkey3

I'll be the hater in here, because WHO CARES??

If it looks good, it looks good. PERIOD.

As much as we're all geeks in here, it borders on weird (to me, at least) if people are making purchasing decisions on otherwise beautiful figures, statues, etc. because having different scales will throw everything off and just totally ruin the collection.

Just my opinion. Yes I love Medicom.

My favorite Marvel character is Adam Warlock.

Like the OP said, whenever there is a collectible made of him, I am just so damn thrilled that some company is paying attention to him that it is totally irrelevant to me what scale it is.

Back