Hot Toys - Artist Collection - AVP: Samurai Predator 1/6 Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also if it's any consolation, I've been looking at other online stores like HLJ and it seems like they're sold out on preorders. They get their stock October 24, 2012. They've stopped taking preorders until then. Since this online shop is based in Japan and they sell their Samurai Predators for $425+, I'm thinking that's approximately what the figure sells for in Japan at a brick and mortar shop. So, in other parts of the world they're paying way more than what we in the USA pay for. In the US you can get this anywhere in the $300-$329 price range. I got mine for $329 retail with USPS Priority Mail. Got it in a speedy 2 days! No missing or broken parts. So my point is, US buyers are already getting a good discount compared to some parts of the world. MSRP is listed at $360 so that's a discount already. So if you're waiting for retailers to discount this to $200 MISB because of the brown head issue then I don't think you'll ever get this simply because $200 isn't a realistic price to expect.

Look, the Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Psylock was botched from the start of the production. All statues were painted WITHOUT PRIMER and they are all cracking, some right out of the box, and some are cracking as the months go by. It's a well known and accepted fact that if you buy this statue MISB or used you will have it crack on you regardless. Now if you look at BBTS they still have this in stock for $284.99 with a retail price of $299.99. That's only a $15 discount even with the known fact that IT WILL CRACK ON YOU! So going back to the Samurai Predator, you can't realistically expect retailers to do some significant discount just to move it out of their shelves. The most discount I can see is maybe a $30 at the most.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
Other then this line:

Its a $360 figure before shipping.
It should be finished, and made right if it isn't

I know. $360 made in China. Imagine if that were 100% made in Japan with the highest quality manufacturing standards placed. $400 wouldn't even come close.

Yeah when you put it that way they are almost doing us a favor letting us buy it from them at all.

So as a SS employee do you get a discount on your orders? How does that work?

Yeah when you put it that way they are almost doing us a favor letting us buy it from them at all.

Not an SSC employee. Just a reasonable guy on the sidelines. I know when something is reasonably too much or reasonably insufficient. At the end of the day after coming home from work I just like walking into my collection room and checking out my stuff. This is a hobby that's supposed to keep you happy, not stress you out. I like to see the positive things a piece has to offer and find a workaround to the negative things. If I can afford not to stress out too much on it then that's +1 point for the hobby.

I guess my 2 cents is the all-or-nothing concept nowadays is a bit extreme. On the Statue Forum a lot of guys who have the Psylocke PF love the sculpt. If they send theirs back then they lose out on a great sculpt. Horrible paint job but what can you do...SSC won't do jack to fix it anyways. So what some have done was repainted theirs. You can't always be kicking and screaming for the small stuff.

Last edited:
So... now they are using the excuses people are using about the blood draining from the head etc etc to accept the brown-ish head as being on purpose? :lol Give me a freakin' break... Come one... this is beyond ridiculous... Seems like they've seen what some people said and thought "what a great idea! Let's say it was like that on purpose".

Seems legit

:goodpost:

My figure arrived from japan in perfection condition:

-Purple head
-shoulder cannon's ball joint is here
-helmet magnet is ok

Feel lucky to have a nice one, like anybody should have.
I will post a photo tonight.

Congrats...who's your vendor?

:lol

Sideshow should be furious art HT but that would ruin money banks like Avengers. Love how they used the blood excuse invented by the boards. Also, if blood coagulated wouldn't that mean that the blood should have not drained?

Sent from my GT-P7510

RIGHT!!! :slap

Also if it's any consolation, I've been looking at other online stores like HLJ and it seems like they're sold out on preorders. They get their stock October 24, 2012. They've stopped taking preorders until then. Since this online shop is based in Japan and they sell their Samurai Predators for $425+, I'm thinking that's approximately what the figure sells for in Japan at a brick and mortar shop. So, in other parts of the world they're paying way more than what we in the USA pay for. In the US you can get this anywhere in the $300-$329 price range. I got mine for $329 retail with USPS Priority Mail. Got it in a speedy 2 days! No missing or broken parts. So my point is, US buyers are already getting a good discount compared to some parts of the world. MSRP is listed at $360 so that's a discount already. So if you're waiting for retailers to discount this to $200 MISB because of the brown head issue then I don't think you'll ever get this simply because $200 isn't a realistic price to expect.

Look, the Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Psylock was botched from the start of the production. All statues were painted WITHOUT PRIMER and they are all cracking, some right out of the box, and some are cracking as the months go by. It's a well known and accepted fact that if you buy this statue MISB or used you will have it crack on you regardless. Now if you look at BBTS they still have this in stock for $284.99 with a retail price of $299.99. That's only a $15 discount even with the known fact that IT WILL CRACK ON YOU! So going back to the Samurai Predator, you can't realistically expect retailers to do some significant discount just to move it out of their shelves. The most discount I can see is maybe a $30 at the most.

Dude...you can't be serious :pray:
Prices from country to country is based on currency values...not some discount given to US customers :cuckoo:

Regarding that Psylock, there's no friggin way I'd bend over and take that shat!!! How is owning a figure that's a ticking time bomb that will prematurely deteriorate any thing but stressful :huh. If I had to have it, I'd rally some fellow board members together, buy ONE Psylock and have that mofo recast and painted right! No way I'd reward SSCs for their shatty QC and utter incompetence. If the discount was a mere $30 bucks, I would gladly knock they shat off.

:clap::hi5:

Not an SSC employee. Just a reasonable guy on the sidelines. I know when something is reasonably too much or reasonably insufficient. At the end of the day after coming home from work I just like walking into my collection room and checking out my stuff. This is a hobby that's supposed to keep you happy, not stress you out. I like to see the positive things a piece has to offer and find a workaround to the negative things. If I can afford not to stress out too much on it then that's +1 point for the hobby.

I guess my 2 cents is the all-or-nothing concept nowadays is a bit extreme. On the Statue Forum a lot of guys who have the Psylocke PF love the sculpt. If they send theirs back then they lose out on a great sculpt. Horrible paint job but what can you do...SSC won't do jack to fix it anyways. So what some have done was repainted theirs. You can't always be kicking and screaming for the small stuff.

It's not that your $.02 isn't welcome, we've all got opinions and your welcome to them. It's just that you speak like guys should be thankful they are getting the shaft :slap. At a lower price point, like not one of the most expensive 1/6th scale figures you can buy, your comments are extremely valid. Say if this was a Neca Pred or something. But at the high end of the spectrum, which this is, customers should get what they expect and they don't expect creative excuses to mask QC f ups or unannounced "variations".

I was on the hook for this figure for sure but now that they have verified what I figured all along, I'll keep my $400 bucks until I can find one that definitely has the all purple Xeno..

Received the same email from SSC. I don't know if I will be returning it or just deal with it and keep it. I used most of my reward points on it anyway and don't know if they would give me those point back towards a different purchase. I guess, I will take a couple of days to think about it.

So clearly, there is an error here.

Because according to Sideshow, your severed alien head's bodily fluids have coagulated and that is NOT what the artist Takeya had intended. :monkey3

:rotfl

Congrats...who's your vendor?

https://www.amiami.com/ :wink1:

My samurai predator:
pa090191.jpg

I got the same contradictory response. "As the Alien's bodily fluids coagulate, the color of the body grows darker, hence the purple color." If that was the case, then the head would obviously be purple, too... Anyway, why did I receive one 'good' and one 'bad' head from them then if there was any truth to their story about it being intentional?? :slap:lol The irony is that the orange head actually has a lot more detailed paint work than the purple one does -- but I'm still not making any excuses for the obvious paint error...

I'm going to contact HT to see what they say, but I bet they will ask that I send the head back to them to be repainted, and if they do it's easier for me to go ahead and airbrush it myself. I've collected HT since they started with their military figure line and this is the worst QC error I have experienced in all that time ( I guess it had to happen sooner or later.)

I'm really more angry that SST isn't using its considerable leverage with HT to get replacement heads for it's affected customers (and it's affiliates customers.) SST used to bend over backwards to rectify situations like this, but times have obviously changed, and not for the better, sadly. Poor QC was one of the reasons I pretty much stopped buying statues and changed my focus to 1/6 figures.

Well so far my friends here in Asia all got purple heads, still waiting to get mine and hope its also purple although I have to agree that the detail on the brown head is great too, just doesn't match the body.

Really simple if you think about it. What HT can do is recall all the orange heads and just paint them the right way and return it back to the customers but I doubt they'd do it. They did that with the John Connor head before they got BIG and FAMOUS, anyone remember that issue?

ib9K2vb45mFDu.jpg

Like I said before, I wish the whole alien was actually the brown color...as it looks more detailed and to be honest looks to be a better color for the alien ( kind of reminds me of the Aliens Brown Repaint but better detail ). I think it would also make the alien corpse "stand out" more from the bottom of the black display, as it would make it a little brighter.

It's funny that people who don't even have the figure are more outraged than those that do... :duh:lol

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated your inquiry regarding the Hot Toys' Samurai Predator severed alien head.

This project was a collaboration between Hot Toys and Takeya, a Japanese artist of great renown and ability. When conceptualizing the Samurai Predator figure, Takeya's vision was to capture the powerful Predator warrior in his full regalia, holding the severed head of a defeated Alien Warrior. His vision included an unusual palette for the Alien, varied purple and red hues. As the Alien's bodily fluids coagulate, the color of the body grows darker, hence the purple color.

Therefore, the color variation on the Alien head and body is representative of the design, and has been randomized to some extent in an artistic effort to represent the very-recent-blood-loss suffered by the Alien Warrior at the hands of the Samurai Predator.

We hope that this provides a greater understanding of the coloration and detail present in the Samurai Predator figure.

If you are unhappy with your figure, please let me know so I may assist you with a full refund for your item.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Daniel Campisi
Returns Representative

spiderman-door-wants-a-handshake-sounds-legit.jpg

Back