Accurizing Kane & Dallas: a full list of fixes required

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another modification. I remembered it today when re-watching the old Alien Legacy DVD, the part where John Mollo talks about the suits.

If you look at the excellent pic of the backpack on page 5, on the left side there are two large toggle switches above the circular detail. These seem to be dirty chrome in colour. And below the circular detail there is a third toggle switch, this one is covered by a waterproof rubber cover.

Tony

Here's another modification. I remembered it today when re-watching the old Alien Legacy DVD, the part where John Mollo talks about the suits.

If you look at the excellent pic of the backpack on page 5, on the left side there are two large toggle switches above the circular detail. These seem to be dirty chrome in colour. And below the circular detail there is a third toggle switch, this one is covered by a waterproof rubber cover.

Tony
I was aware of this missing detail- thanks Tony, I was going to cover it in a later post. The backpacks have so many mistakes and missing detail, they would easily add 25 fixes if taken individually. It all depends on how much work you're willing to do in order to make these things accurate.

Here's a side-by-side photo to show what I mean...

There has been a big colony of Wookies in the wooded areas around the north London studios since the mid-to late 1970s but we're all over the country now! :lol

And Chewie looks such an innocent soul doesn't he! :chew

Tony

Fix number 1: complete!

I finished my KANE HEAD...
I rushed the paint job a bit, so I'm going to be refining it quite a lot.

I'm going to be making the mold for it in the middle of November, and then I'll cast them and try to sell a few.

Let me know what you guys think!.. If you are interested in buying one from me, email me at: [email protected] and please put the words 'KANE HEAD' in the subject line.

Last edited:
I love threads like this!!! Thanks to all, and especially Anthrapoid, for amassing such a wealth of pics and information. I'm still waiting for Kane to arrive, but when he does I'll definitely be correcting the most obvious inaccuracies, beginning with a new head!

Reading this thread all the way through has now made me want to pick up Dallas, too. Resistance is futile... :lol

There has been a big colony of Wookies in the wooded areas around the north London studios since the mid-to late 1970s but we're all over the country now! :lol

And Chewie looks such an innocent soul doesn't he! :chew

Tony

I can confirm this, welcome brother!

Fix 27: Paint rim detail white inside helmet shield.

Here are some photos to show the trim inside the face shield, just at the bottom of the glass; The first picture at the left shows Kane's helmet in the film.
At the bottom you can see the dirty white area that runs between the display panels near His face.
These areas could be the pale green corrosion color, but I don't think so. They look dirty off-white to me, so I painted them that way- and I think it's an improvment.

Fix 28: Inside helmet, grind down front and back of rim so heads can pass through without scraping.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem; When you take off the helmet, the edges scrape against the head and face- especially the nose and painted head gear of Dallas and kane.

I used a cylindrical sanding head on my Dremel, and ground down the inside front AND back of the helmet rim, and it cured the issue nicely.

On the back inner side of the helmet rim, there is a protruding rectangular lip from the lower light box on the rear of the helmet (the one that has no actual lights installed) which passes through to the inside and gets in the way of the heads coming through. This can be completely sanded down flush with the helmet, with no risk at all.

Now, when you turn the heads 90 degress to the left or right, they pass through easily so they won't get scraped over time, and the paint won't wear off.

Compare the before and after pictures below, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Fix 27: Paint rim detail white inside helmet shield.

Here are some photos to show the trim inside the face shield, just at the bottom of the glass; The first picture at the left shows Kane's helmet in the film.
At the bottom you can see the dirty white area that runs between the display panels near His face.
These areas could be the pale green corrosion color, but I don't think so. They look dirty off-white to me, so I painted them that way- and I think it's an improvment.

Nice job. I agree it looks like a weathered white in the photo, not the corrosion color.

Totally agree about Fix 28, that is exactly where the headsculpts get stuck. Infact if I take this off my custom Kane headsculpt will fit. Let me know if you need any specific shots of Lambert's suit by the way.

Hey Space Jockey- haven't seen you about for a while. Any shots of Lambert's suit are welcome. I have quite a few Kane & Dallas, and just a couple of Lambert's that you already posted.

And have you seen my custom Kane head sculpt on page 11? Take a look and tell me what you think. I'm still going to do some very fine sanding on it before I make the mold, but it's basically done.

Hey Space Jockey- haven't seen you about for a while. Any shots of Lambert's suit are welcome. I have quite a few Kane & Dallas, and just a couple of Lambert's that you already posted.

And have you seen my custom Kane head sculpt on page 11? Take a look and tell me what you think. I'm still going to do some very fine sanding on it before I make the mold, but it's basically done.

I've been here reading the posts, though I've been a bit busy sculpting a Kane headsculpt myself as well as keeping my month-old son entertained. I like your take on the Kane headsculpt, it's difficult to do as I found out. I put more images on my thread in the customs section. As mentioned in a post a while ago, I too like the original headcover on the provided sculpt, but I scuplted mine in super sculpy, which needs cooking in the oven so I was afraid of melting the headcover that comes with the figure. I'd like to do the same though and use the original headcover. It's my first 1:6 scale sculpt and was a learning experience.

I have more pictures of the armour parts more than the cloth suit underneath on Lamberts spacesuit, however I did find a good one on the boots - I know you're going to be working on this.

That picture of Lambert's boot above is pretty strange;

It must be that the prop makers for the movie had several different pairs, (which did not match each other) and the ones in your picture were intended for long-shots, very dark/brief shots, etc.
The length of rope used around the bottom of the boot looks like it was intended to look like the tubing on the better quality boots, but only at a safe distance away from the camera.
It looks like it was put together in ten minutes from paper mache' and paint. (heavy cloth I suppose)

There are scenes in the film and production stills showing all three sets of boots matching each other, and they are also made to a much higher quality standard than the boot in your picture. Here's a picture of the actual boots worn by Dallas, from a London auction house. Just to remind everyone, this is the design I will be producing.

Thanks- Interesting picture Space Jockey, I haven't seen that before.

Last edited:
Don't forget also that there were both adult and child-size suits made which may be why there are the different boots; smaller suits were made for Jake and Luke Scott and a third child who's name I cannot remember for the long distance shots.

After some detective work, I'm 99.9% certain there were different boots for adult and child costumes. I think the boots you have pictured are for the child costume.

Last edited:
Back