We need a universal monsters comic book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton Phibes

Super Freak
Reaction score
Many a show lives on after its cancellation in the form of comics. Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Horror comics of newer characters continuing their tales exist with Freddy, Jason, Michael, Leatherface, Chucky and even Hellraiser and Pumpkinhead. Dark Horse adapted some of the films years ago...but it was a strict following of the film only~ with no "continuation" of the events in each monsters' story. The shared universe concept already exists from the monster jamboree films. Why not a monthly serialized comic series.

It seems to me to be a logical step to use this set up in the form of serialized comics. Think Aaron Lopresti on art interiors and Basil Gogos covers. Get the team behind "Bela Lugosi's Tales from the Grave" for stories. Some stories could be black and white, and some in color. Keep bluewater away from it---but Dynamite could pull it off. Or maybe Monsterverse comics. I didnt know Lopresti was such a Universal Monsters fan. One can dream........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-L...ultDomain_0&hash=item231540777e#ht_500wt_1202

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-K...ultDomain_0&hash=item231538bafd#ht_500wt_1202

GogosBela.jpg

265638.jpg

Basil_Gogos_Metaluna_study_by_JasonMas.jpg

gogoscoloryt8.jpg

I believe Dark Horse Comics did a comic book adaptation of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON some years back.

As of the classic monsters . . . an interesting idea, but given the current climate in the comic book industries . . . it's all about $ (i.e. how much UNIVERSAL will charge for a publisher to license it, how much $ a publish will spend to come up with a worthwhile creative team for the title, if enough issues will sell to justify an ongoing series, etc.).

I believe Dark Horse Comics did a comic book adaptation of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON some years back.

As of the classic monsters . . . an interesting idea, but given the current climate in the comic book industries . . . it's all about $ (i.e. how much UNIVERSAL will charge for a publisher to license it, how much $ a publish will spend to come up with a worthwhile creative team for the title, if enough issues will sell to justify an ongoing series, etc.).

There has been a massive splurge of classic monster mags come out recently. Already carried by Diamond. Most comic geeks know the Universal Monsters. If you had the right creative team, and it was presented in a rotating format (three issues Dracula, three issues Creature, 3 issues a team up story, etc,) it could stay fresh. I think it would be successful and other than a high licensing fee being the culprit---I wonder why they havent done it as yet?:peace

There has been a massive splurge of classic monster mags come out recently. Already carried by Diamond. Most comic geeks know the Universal Monsters. If you had the right creative team, and it was presented in a rotating format (three issues Dracula, three issues Creature, 3 issues a team up story, etc,) it could stay fresh. I think it would be successful and other than a high licensing fee being the culprit---I wonder why they havent done it as yet?:peace

Either that or a serial mag that had 10 pages each of a story and mixed it up between all the characters.

That would work too. Horror stories always work better as shorts. Taht format would work. Did you check those ebay auctions out? That Lopresti Wolfman rocks. If I had the money---I would snatch that.

Yup, modeled after EC, I think a Universal Monster monthly magazine would be an insta-buy.

Back