Very New to 1/6 Scale, Need Advice Please :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeno

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to the 1/6 scale type of toys/figures. I've only played with Monsterarts and Figuarts recently and that's when I first discovered about toys with interchangeable hands and other parts.

I just got my first two 1/6 scale toys this this past week, the Kotobukiya Enterbay Elvis Presley (I love Elvis!) and the DID President Obama toy (I can use him for all sorts of fun stuff lol!). I definitely LOVE Them! :D

I need some advice please. I've seen on ebay that people sometimes only sell the heads of these 1/6 scale toys. For example, there's a Mr. Bean head or some other celebrity. Sometimes, there are accessories like guns, swords, clothes and things like that.

My questions are the following:

1. Can I just buy any 1/6 scale item off of ebay or some website, like a head, gun, sword, clothes, and they'd fit with any 1/6 scale toy? What if I want to dress up Elvis Presley in a business suit, do I buy a 1/6 scale business suit or something like that?

2. I've seen those "bodies" being sold, sometimes without hands or feet, but I think others come with hands and feet. Are those compatible with the heads or other body parts, or are there specific brands that cannot work with others?

3. I really want to learn more about the 1/6 scale toys/figures because I like the realism they provide. What I want to do in the future is buy those bodies, heads, and accessories separately so I can just mix and match whatever I want. Can you please recommend an article that can tell me more about how to "mix and match" these parts?

4. Are there any good online shops for mixing and matching bodies, heads, and things like that to build your own 1/6 figure? I'm interested in making 1/6 celebrities. I'm just thinking I'd save some money if I just bought, for example, a separate naked body and a separate Mr. Bean head and then stuck them together.

5. Oh yeah, I like the "fleshy" feel of the Elvis Presley toy. Obama has a hard non-fleshy body. Can I just buy any head and attach them to a "fleshy" body? Are those fleshy body models also being sold separately? I think I'd try to buy those bodies to attach heads to because I prefer them over the hard plastic versions :)

Please feel free to give me any other advice that I may not have thought to ask about because I'm really a newbie to this 1/6 scale.

Thanks very much in advance! :D

Hi there! I'm new to the 1/6 scale type of toys/figures. I've only played with Monsterarts and Figuarts recently and that's when I first discovered about toys with interchangeable hands and other parts.

I just got my first two 1/6 scale toys this this past week, the Kotobukiya Enterbay Elvis Presley (I love Elvis!) and the DID President Obama toy (I can use him for all sorts of fun stuff lol!). I definitely LOVE Them! :D

I need some advice please. I've seen on ebay that people sometimes only sell the heads of these 1/6 scale toys. For example, there's a Mr. Bean head or some other celebrity. Sometimes, there are accessories like guns, swords, clothes and things like that.

My questions are the following:

1. Can I just buy any 1/6 scale item off of ebay or some website, like a head, gun, sword, clothes, and they'd fit with any 1/6 scale toy? What if I want to dress up Elvis Presley in a business suit, do I buy a 1/6 scale business suit or something like that?

2. I've seen those "bodies" being sold, sometimes without hands or feet, but I think others come with hands and feet. Are those compatible with the heads or other body parts, or are there specific brands that cannot work with others?

3. I really want to learn more about the 1/6 scale toys/figures because I like the realism they provide. What I want to do in the future is buy those bodies, heads, and accessories separately so I can just mix and match whatever I want. Can you please recommend an article that can tell me more about how to "mix and match" these parts?

4. Are there any good online shops for mixing and matching bodies, heads, and things like that to build your own 1/6 figure? I'm interested in making 1/6 celebrities. I'm just thinking I'd save some money if I just bought, for example, a separate naked body and a separate Mr. Bean head and then stuck them together.

5. Oh yeah, I like the "fleshy" feel of the Elvis Presley toy. Obama has a hard non-fleshy body. Can I just buy any head and attach them to a "fleshy" body? Are those fleshy body models also being sold separately? I think I'd try to buy those bodies to attach heads to because I prefer them over the hard plastic versions :)

Please feel free to give me any other advice that I may not have thought to ask about because I'm really a newbie to this 1/6 scale.

Thanks very much in advance! :D

As a general rule, you need to stick with the same manufacturer if you want cross-compatibility between accessories and figure parts, even then not everything is guaranteed to scale appropriately.. if you are intending to do a lot of 'kit-bash' type figures, you may be better posting this enquiry in the Custom figure section.

Welcome to the forum! :hi5:

Thank you very much, I'll go find the custom figure place then and try to stick to the same company :)

Most of the accessories/body parts are swappable between different manufacturers nowadays. All you need is figure out whether the Head comes with the neck or not, normal bodies lets you change the neck joints, those more realistic ones comes with neck attached to the torso so just figure out which type of head you have, you can easily figure it out from the picture.

So far only Medicom 12" has unique joints, the rest are pretty standard nowadays.

Also the best way to buy accessories is off ebay, try to get the stuff from the same seller you can save lots of shipping.

Sometimes, it'd be cheaper to purchase a full figure and salvage the parts you want, the resell the rest on ebay, but it takes more time to sell them off, but usually you can make some small profit out of them, that is why many sellers do that.

BTW Kotobukiya Elvis is a statue, very different from Action Figures.

There's a ready made 1/6 Elvis, can't remember is from Enterbay or what.

Oh thanks for the info! Nice to know that most of these 1/6 scale stuff have "standards" these days :)

I recently ordered a "Phicen Stainless Steel" girl to keep Elvis and Obama company (yeah my Elvis is from that Kotobukiya + Enterbay team-up so he moves :D ). I discovered it by accident while looking at other 1/6 toys and I was amazed to find out that this one doesn't have visible joints. That's the kind of stuff I've always dreamed of as a kid, little toys/dolls/figures that are near life-like with almost no visible joints :D

After some research though, I found out that little custom clothes might "bleed" and stain these toys :( But it seems you can wash the little clothes first with vinegar so that it wouldn't "bleed" on the figure. I guess I'll be doing that. I just hope it works for all types of clothes that I find on ebay. I guess I'll do that as a general rule, always wash until they stop bleeding (I need to do more research on this) :)

Wow, I wish I bought the Mr. Bean and Don Vito 1/6 toys before. I've always wanted to but didn't have the money back then lol :) Oh well, maybe I'll just buy a one of those custom heads off of ebay... I guess I'll ask the seller first whether they're compatible with what body so that I can prepare better :)

The 1/6 world seems fun, I love it so far haha :)

Thanks again for the info :D

After some research though, I found out that little custom clothes might "bleed" and stain these toys :( But it seems you can wash the little clothes first with vinegar so that it wouldn't "bleed" on the figure. I guess I'll be doing that. I just hope it works for all types of clothes that I find on ebay. I guess I'll do that as a general rule, always wash until they stop bleeding (I need to do more research on this) :)

Wow, I wish I bought the Mr. Bean and Don Vito 1/6 toys before. I've always wanted to but didn't have the money back then lol :) Oh well, maybe I'll just buy a one of those custom heads off of ebay... I guess I'll ask the seller first whether they're compatible with what body so that I can prepare better :)

The 1/6 world seems fun, I love it so far haha :)

Thanks again for the info :D

Can say almost all black fabrics will tend to stain especially it's from Enterbay, so best is use some food wrapper and wrap around areas where the fabric will come in contact with the body. Also most leather jacket uses synthetic leather so they aren't as reliable as real leather, over time the top coat will start to degenerate, best is keep it in dust free, temperature & humid controlled environment, you can use some leather polisher to add a top coat, it will at least protect it from the surface.

There's more than just Leather & Bleeding that you have to watch out, Rubber sweating, cracking, joints disintegrating, rubber boots staining the base it's standing on, rusting metals, mold growing on the figure, inside box etc.

Also since Phicen body is rubber, it will stick on any dust easily, it will also stain easily, and is very difficult to clean them. And be extra careful with them, since you can't fix broken joints when it's infused inside rubber flesh. Their articulation will be more limited than exposed joint bodies too. Tight clothes will also leave marks on the flesh.

Nowadays you can get complete Hot Toys Custom Vito easily, Mr. Bean, don't think his price has gone up much, if you missed the 1/6, he has a 1/4 version coming up.

it might be fun at 1st, but as you go down the road, if you aren't careful, you might end up running out of space, money, and have to spend more time "Maintaining" your stuffs, so i say go easy and go with your sense instead of following trends. The boxes usually take up more space than figures themselves.

Good thing you're into celebrities as there aren't many compared to military, for military some items can only be found with certain figure, and you need to figure out their names in order to search off ebay, or else you'd end up with 1000 results. Best is if you learn some DIY so you can build whatever you want.

Back