Teen Ron Weasley review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Somehow I managed to stick this in the wrong forum last night - hey, it's damn cold around here, making it hard to think. I'm checking out the latest release from Star Ace in their Harry Potter line - Teen Ron Weasley. At one point, we weren't sure we'd ever get another Ron, due to the low demand on the young version. But he's shipping soon, and you can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-012819a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_teenron_11.jpg

Thank you always for your honest reviews Michael. You have sold me on many and helped me avoid wasting money and collection space as well...

Saving me money is the case with this figure.

Oh wow...between this, the last Hermione (Geico Caveman), and the Pulp Fiction figures it may be time for Star Ace to hang it up...these head sculpts are not up to 6 inch figure quality.

Great review as always...which is more than can be said for the figure unfortunately! What has happened to Star Ace, their early figures were excellent, but now they are just terrible. :(

Last Star Ace figure I bought was Newt (who is an awesome figure but given the state of the current offerings will most likely be the last SA figure I buy) - but since then they have been on a real downward spiral which is a real shame. :(

Yeah, not good. I reluctantly bought it just to complete the set.

Hope Hot Toys takes a stab at it.

Seeing the decline in quality prevented me from getting into this line. I am glad that you are able to enjoy it but I probably would have been forced to sell the others to keep myself from having to spend over $200 on this to complete the line...

Seeing the decline in quality prevented me from getting into this line. I am glad that you are able to enjoy it but I probably would have been forced to sell the others to keep myself from having to spend over $200 on this to complete the line...

I originally bought into the line at the beginning but sold out of it. Glad I did. Seeing the decline in quality from a distance I can laugh at it. If I was trying to complete this line I would just be disappointed at this point.

I've landed somewhere between bitter and disappointed. They've gone deeper with the line than other companies might have, but the quality drop off was sharp and fast.

The are glaring things with this Ron I can't get over. The headsculpt itself is a poor likeness, but what's even worse is that it's warped like the Selene was. It was unacceptable to me for Sideshow to release their $50 Willow figure like that in what, 2005? Let alone SA releasing this with a $200+ price tag.

But another flaw I can't get over is the inconsistency of accessories, bodies and sculpts across the board. This Ron, the "teen version", is clearly based on OOTP or HPB (so why he comes with "Moody's" spider makes no sense as that was GOF). The Hermione "teen version", has a POA outfit, which is Year 3. Then you have Luna and Ginny with bodies and accessories that don't match. There's just no excusing that kind of stuff.

Their first releases were well done, but I wish a better company would get this license and produce more consistent figures - both in quality and in appearance with each other. People can say what they want about Tonner dolls (which are meant to look more like traditional dolls anyway), they were consistent in their releases of HP dolls.

Harry Potter as a franchise deserves the same level of quality figures as Marvel and Star Wars and other big franchises. It makes me bitter that this has happened with this line.

I've landed somewhere between bitter and disappointed. They've gone deeper with the line than other companies might have, but the quality drop off was sharp and fast.

The are glaring things with this Ron I can't get over. The headsculpt itself is a poor likeness, but what's even worse is that it's warped like the Selene was. It was unacceptable to me for Sideshow to release their $50 Willow figure like that in what, 2005? Let alone SA releasing this with a $200+ price tag.

But another flaw I can't get over is the inconsistency of accessories, bodies and sculpts across the board. This Ron, the "teen version", is clearly based on OOTP or HPB (so why he comes with "Moody's" spider makes no sense as that was GOF). The Hermione "teen version", has a POA outfit, which is Year 3. Then you have Luna and Ginny with bodies and accessories that don't match. There's just no excusing that kind of stuff.

Their first releases were well done, but I wish a better company would get this license and produce more consistent figures - both in quality and in appearance with each other. People can say what they want about Tonner dolls (which are meant to look more like traditional dolls anyway), they were consistent in their releases of HP dolls.

Harry Potter as a franchise deserves the same level of quality figures as Marvel and Star Wars and other big franchises. It makes me bitter that this has happened with this line.

Yep...normally I say to each their own and let people spend their money on whatever they want to spend it on. In this case Star Ace deserves to be punished for license holder malpractice and I wish people would send them the correct message by refusing to hand over $200 for this type of quality. How else will they ever learn if they are rewarded for releasing garbage and treating collectors like easy marks?

While I agree on the outfits being all over the place, I don't mind with accessories. By giving us stuff from different films, it adds to any display you might want to use them in. I'm fine with them giving us stuff that really goes with other characters - getting more accessories is never a bad thing.

But yea, consistency in the outfits would be nice.

I don't consider Molecule 8 to be a "company" as much as a banner to release a poorly made John Lennon figure under...so between this Ron, the Hermione, the Pulp Fiction figures, and their other Potter releases which for the most part have ranged from average to mediocre...lets not forget the Hunger Games figure...yep I think Star Ace is EASILY the worst 1/6 scale figure company currently releasing figures...in fact I am sure they are FAR worse than whoever their closest competition is for this title.

Back