Should I buy local or direct from SS...A Canadian Story!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australian websites use Australian currency not US, but considering Canada allow US dollars to be spent in Canada, it's no wonder this is an acceptable practice.

You can't spend US dollars in Canada unless you exchange them, it's not legal currency. But unlike Australia, a Canadian web site that wants to remain in business needs to target the US consumer along with those of other countries. There aren't enough consumers in Canada to support many types of web sites. Anyone doing web-sales "locally" is doing it wrong.

But like I said earlier, more traditional stockists will of course list products in Canadian dollars. When you can plan out you inventory long-term it's easier to do. In the short term that's a benefit to shoppers because prices can be lower than in the US, but long-term the price won't stay low and can be padded above the exchange rate - which is why many Canadians still shop in the US.

Now compare the price in Australian dollars (converted to US) of a particular release to the price at Sideshow.

Anyway, WRT my own store, I live in Canada, but that's not really any concern of any customer. My store is on the internet only - is there some internet currency I should use instead? Maybe bitcoins? ;) All my suppliers all over the world charge USD, so I charge USD to keep things simple. When you pay, you can pay with whatever currency you want - either your credit card company, your bank or PayPal handle that on my behalf. I definitely don't want to be taking Reis from people in Brazil and Sterling from people in the UK.

Last edited:
I live and work in Toronto and can say without a doubt that you can spend US dollars in stores. Most stores will not accept $100 notes because of the fakes out there, but anything under that can be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I buy local so I don't pay the duty.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Buying local you avoid the customs deal.
I always do it that way...I guess what it comes down is your preference.
Personally I prefer buying local ..it works for me.

Calling to all fellow Canadians who have experience purchasing direct from SS to their homes or direct from a local establishment. Are there Pros and Cons to both? In you experience can you please tell me which scenario you would recommend. I am assuming that the "grey" area would be customs. On average do you pay customs on all orders or is it hit and miss? What is the general charge in customs.

This is what I want to do:

Purchase Batman Returns using CON15 ($20 discount) + $30 shipping = $230 to my home (less customs fees) or do I go direct to ie (Toy Traders)?

Anyone here have Toy Trader experience? How are they?

Thank you for your help!!!
Toy Traders is the way to go ...that's how I do it.

Back