Sauron custom figure (1/6 scale) - work in progress

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodaiv

Freakzoid
Reaction score
-There is no light, wizard, that can defeat darkness!-

Nowadays Sauron has become one of the most popular fantasy villain, if not the first. Personally I think he's a great character and Weta Workshop has done a great job on the armor, I think they really caught him. The idea of making a custom Sauron figure came from several reasons... Now there's the original Weta statue, which is actually 1/6 scale, I love the sculpt but I'm not so thrilled by the metal finish and the pose, which hides the beatiful helm. There's the new Sideshow statue, but that's 1/4 scale which means that it costs about 800€ and it would make my Hot Toys figures look like silly toys. So I've decided to make my own figure - that's an intricate sculpt but there are many plates and edges that can be made with paper and carton and later finished with epoxy... Moreover, I have a large experience in drawing and a little in sculpting, I can make beatiful resculpts but I'm not so good with full heads (I make some structure errors, I need more practice). So here we come to my figure. It will have a wooden body (there's no body with the exact measures) with main joints, even if it won't be as articulated as a standard plastic body, also because the armor won't allow it. The armor will be made of zinc with graphite shades; zinc is a great metal: it has a low fusion point but once cold it becomes pretty resistant, but it can be still worked with steel tools. Graphite gives everything a nice dark finish, which was made using acid for the film armor.
Currently I'm not working hard on this project, I have other figures w.i.p.. I have planned to complete this withing Summer 2014, and it will be cast within Fall 2014. Anyway I'll post some pics of the various pieces.
Full reveal: December 2014

Look forward to seeing this, I've thought about making is a couple of times, my thought was using one of the cheap 1/4 scale body's as a base, I think try are diamond select starwars figures

Here's a pic of the helmet, that's not complete because I'm not working on this, that's been made to test the method...

Hello! I've made a bitnif research for this project, finding many issues. Casting metal is not easy and doesn't guve great results, mold material tahat can resist at high temoerature don't offer great detail, so all the emobossed vegetal pattern on the helm and armor would go lost. So no metal, just high quality airbrush paint to recreate the dark metal tone (using layers of grey, pearl black, silver and pearl white). Making a figure is another big problem: joints can't hold the wright of a resin piece. So it will be fully hand-sculpted using Apoxie Sculpt. This won't be a cheap version of the Weta statue but a different piece, with a different tone (a black metal with silver drybrush and pearl white details) and a different pose. Honestly I didn't like the fact that the Weta statue didn't shiw the helm completely, which is very beatiful and brilliantly sculpted, so for mine I have chisen the Sammath Naur scene, with Sauron standing and raising the ring and holding the dagger he used to engrave it.

Back