Neytiri statue custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudtrooper

Super Freak
Reaction score
A couple years ago I came across a statue of what is supposed to be Neytiri but I think due to licensing the seller couldn't label it as such. I found it on eBay from a seller out of Hong Kong. Being an Avatar fanatic I instantly saw the potential it had despite all the details that were off or missing from the piece. So I took a chance and bought it with the intent to give it a total work-over. I finally had the chance to do so over the last couple weekends and I got her all finished up.

First some before pics, which are just off of Google and are the same pictures from the eBay auction.

So like I said it was a good starting point and I loved the pose recreating the scene from the movie but it was missing a lot of key features.
It didn't have:
>The tooth on her flight goggles (even though the pictures show it)
>The fletching guard on her right arm
>The correct arm bracelet on her right bicep
>The correct looking dagger or dagger handle
>The dagger sheath
>The choker necklace she wore with the green stones
>The feather necklace to cover up the goods
>The two strands of beads that hang down to the left of her loincloth
>And in the detail department, she didn't have any nipples

I corrected/added all the missing pieces and errors and I love how it all came together. I started with a total repaint of the skin with a more correct base tone and then darkened that same color slightly for the stripes. I repainted the eyes and got rid of the eyelashes that were painted on that made it look cartoonish, and painted details like the lips, nose, ears, and finger/toe nails. It also had both of the ears gauged when Neytiri only had the right ear gauged so I had to shave off the one on the left ear and reshape it to make it look more natural.
Repainted the riding leggings with a more accurate color and weathered them slightly.

Then it was on to creating the things the statue was missing. First was the tooth for the riding goggles which was just from a tooth pick that I shaved to size then wrapped in three places with thread. I also cut out some plastic lenses for the goggles to make them pop a little more and because I didn't want to take a dremel to the other sculpted lenses and risk it jumping and screwing up the sculpt. So the plastic serves to add detail and hide the sculpted parts behind them. I also added the choker necklace but I don't know that I got a good picture of it. Then I did the feather necklace which I matched as close as possible to a photo of the prop from the scene in the movie down to color, shape, size, and quantity. The arm guard I cut out of a piece of thin leather type material I had and wrapped the arm and glued it in place. Then I went over the top of it with gel medium to give it some texture. For the arm bracelet that was incorrect, I cut a piece of floral wire into small lengths and glued them on the existing bracelet then painted them. The two strands of beads beside the loincloth I made out of twisted wire which was painted. The biggest hurdle was the dagger and sheath. I made these pieces out of baking clay and then shaved bits of it down after baking it to give it the right shape. I added threads to the dagger handle and sheath for detail and then painted it all to finish it off.

And yes, I added nipples to the sculpt using gel medium. haha

I still plan to go and add some vines and other plants to the base to give it a little more detail, but here she is as of now.

Really enjoyed watching this progress Spud, happy to see how the knife came out as well. It was a pretty good sculpt to begin with, with your painting and the details you added you made this thing from meh it's aighttt to hell yeah! That necklace and eyes are probably my favorite parts.

Thanks man. Yeah you were on the ground floor for the step-by-step process. Appreciate the kind words my friend. :)

Nice looking statue. The Avatar license was so poorly and unevenly handled. I wanted to buy the Neytiri PF but was waiting until there was a confirmation on Jake, which never happened. I passed on the 1:6 statues because they were from different stages of the movie.Your version at least overcomes that.

I did buy the Hot Toys Jake figure, but alas HT never produced Neytiri. So now I'm working with Scaletta Studios to see if we can do a custom Neytiri figure along with a native Jake replacement head. If anyone is interested in that, pop over to https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...letta-1-6-neytiri-avatar-native-jake-kit.html

Nice looking statue. The Avatar license was so poorly and unevenly handled. I wanted to buy the Neytiri PF but was waiting until there was a confirmation on Jake, which never happened. I passed on the 1:6 statues because they were from different stages of the movie.Your version at least overcomes that.

I did buy the Hot Toys Jake figure, but alas HT never produced Neytiri. So now I'm working with Scaletta Studios to see if we can do a custom Neytiri figure along with a native Jake replacement head. If anyone is interested in that, pop over to https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...letta-1-6-neytiri-avatar-native-jake-kit.html

Thanks. Yeah I really hate that there wasn't more done with the license. I have all the statues including the life size bust because I love the movie so much but it does irritate me how the pieces don't really go together. The first Neytiri statue was great from Sideshow then when I heard they were doing a Jake too I was like alright perfect. Then they go and make it the war paint version after HT already had the poseable figure in 1/6. They should have just made the regular Jake version of him with his bow to pair alongside the Neytiri one. I so badly wanted HT to make a Neytiri but after making Jake the war paint version I would have been pissed if they made her and didn't make her the war paint version to match up. And hell they didn't even do any of the human characters either which I think would have been cool.

I saw your thread earlier this week and I'm interested to see how that develops. I'd definitely be in for a Neytiri depending on what the price ends up being. I know it'll be up there but I'm still heavily into collecting and customizing Star Wars figures too so not a whole lot of spare cash to throw at anything too major. I know there was one guy on the forums here that was working on a 1/6 Neytiri to go with the Jake figure but I haven't seen or heard anything about that project in awhile. I think he was doing it all on a 3D printer. Looked very promising the last time I saw it. Even had switch out faces for her to showcase different expressions which I thought was really cool.

I know there was one guy on the forums here that was working on a 1/6 Neytiri to go with the Jake figure but I haven't seen or heard anything about that project in awhile. I think he was doing it all on a 3D printer. Looked very promising the last time I saw it. Even had switch out faces for her to showcase different expressions which I thought was really cool.

I remember that project as well. I communicated with him through PMs. He was basically trying to figure out how to produce via trial and error and making decent headway. One of the biggest hurdles had been getting Shapeways to generate decent quality prints and it got expensive. The folks at Scaletta Studios are much more experienced and have produced several high quality custom figures, so they have a team of artists and a solid workflow. They are also willing to take on more complicated projects which is why I ran it by them. Right now we are trying to do a Terminatrix T-X endo with metal and a light up.

Edit: I just checked out fierox's thread. If he sent the prototype to Steve G., it's unfortunately gone. I have several heads that are in the same black hole. I'll share that old thread with Woodrob to see if it helps. While the articulation looks very functional there are several exposed areas that take away from the femininity, and I'm hoping for something a more streamlined considering the skimpy outfit. Also our portraits will be significantly more detailed and accurate

Last edited:
Back