Napoleon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choombaz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Surprised no one has posted this. I am not much of a fan of Phoenix and doubting his portrayal but otherwise this looks magnificent. I was worried that after the failure of the great The Last Duel, Scott might not get another chance but here we are and with Gladiator 2 on the way. Keep em coming 85 year old Ridley Scott.

Neat concept, but films made in English about historical people who wouldn’t speak English always feel strange to me. Bizarre casting choice, but considering it’s Ridley Scott, cinematography will make it break this more than any actor could!

I loved The Last Duel, it was Prime Scott Epic (actually better than Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven IMHO), so I'm down for this.
I still haven’t seen Kingdom Of Heaven but I really want to, the directors cut is apparently excellent. And yes I love Gladiator but The Last Duel was amazing, direction, writing and performances were all top notch.

Down for this. Love me a sweeping historical epic, nitpicks aside.

Just like you, am quite looking forward to this. My take is this one is going under the radar and many potential viewers could be sleeping on something pretty phenomenal here. (What gets buzz and why in the national daily media cycle is pretty much cooked now, but that's another topic for another time)

IMHO, something I've always found interesting about Napoleon is his core story tends to fit seamlessly into fundamental storytelling. In contrast, something like Peter Benchley's book version of Jaws is kind of a mess. Nothing about that was easy to convert to the big screen.

This might predate you ( or carbon date me, not sure which happens first...) but there was an old miniseries with Armand Assante as Napoleon and it was pretty great for it's time. Some of it didn't age well. But IMHO it shows all the core potential for any Napoleon narrative. Any project that can bring together Norman Bates and Diane Court together has half a chance at something.

I find that not as much excites me as much anymore. I suspect it's more of a me thing than what's being put out. Saw Oppenheimer a few weeks back and fell asleep. I haven't started craving egg salad sandwiches yet, but I might get there soon.

Just some thoughts.

NOT a sequel...?

gosh-napoleon.gif

I still haven’t seen Kingdom Of Heaven but I really want to, the directors cut is apparently excellent. And yes I love Gladiator but The Last Duel was amazing, direction, writing and performances were all top notch.
I actually liked the theatrical release of Kingdom of Heaven. The director's cut is better, except for one scene that still bothers me. I haven't seen it in a while, but the part where Balian joins Godfrey and they're later stopped by the soldiers is better in the theatrical cut. There's something odd about the editing in the D.C.

I actually liked the theatrical release of Kingdom of Heaven. The director's cut is better, except for one scene that still bothers me. I haven't seen it in a while, but the part where Balian joins Godfrey and they're later stopped by the soldiers is better in the theatrical cut. There's something odd about the editing in the D.C.
I always liked the theatrical version, but I love the director's cut. I'm hoping this one day gets a physical 4k release.

It made me feel like Joker get into mental hospital and he thinks right there he’s Napoleon because all his reactions and mimics looks exactly like Joker but I have to admit some war scenes were quite epic just for the war scenes I can watch this movie for the second time it’s not going to be a top notch movie but I strongly advise you guys to watch

The reviews are polarised for this one, not sure if I'll watch it in the cinema

Saw it a couple of days ago.
It's a good movie, just don't expect much historical accuracy from it. It's a Ridley Scott film, and when did he let history and facts get in the way of drama?
I'm absolutely not a Napoleon expert, far from it, so I enjoyed the movie for what it was, just as I love HBO's Rome, although it plays very loose with some key historical facts.

At any rate, the movie should be called "Napoleon and Josephine", as at its core it is an exploration of their relationship and how it drives Napoleon to a certain degree. It's quite good in that aspect, and cinematography and acting and all that are great, as usual. However, even an ignoramus as myself felt that there was a lot of social and political context missing. We never hear of all the ideals and struggles that were behind Napoleon's actions, so he does become a bit one dimensional.

I wonder if the rumored four hour version does exist, and if it delves more into all that background.

Saw it a couple of days ago.
It's a good movie, just don't expect much historical accuracy from it. It's a Ridley Scott film, and when did he let history and facts get in the way of drama?
I'm absolutely not a Napoleon expert, far from it, so I enjoyed the movie for what it was, just as I love HBO's Rome, although it plays very loose with some key historical facts.

At any rate, the movie should be called "Napoleon and Josephine", as at its core it is an exploration of their relationship and how it drives Napoleon to a certain degree. It's quite good in that aspect, and cinematography and acting and all that are great, as usual. However, even an ignoramus as myself felt that there was a lot of social and political context missing. We never hear of all the ideals and struggles that were behind Napoleon's actions, so he does become a bit one dimensional.

I wonder if the rumored four hour version does exist, and if it delves more into all that background.
Four hours ten mins to be precise, Scott confirmed it is coming, although only mentions it will stream on Apple TV+

I think I will watch this tomorrow

Back