I need some led lighting 101: What to get for my shelves and where to buy??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdeaOfEvil

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm using Ikea Hemnes bookcases (small and large), and the only real surface I have to hide led strips under are on the sides and very top (a good inch gap that hides behind front molding). The only b&m store that sells led's that I can think of is Home Depot. But the only led strip I can find on their website are indoor/outdoor ones that require all led pieces/strips to be connected from on end to the other with a barely 6 inch connector. There's no way I could have strips on two sides of a shelf that would have to be as close as 6 inches from one another PLUS having to do one row of shelves on top that would somehow have to connect to another row of shelves on the bottom.

The shelves I have are 18" from backside lip to backside lip width wise, and there's a small gap drilled into the back of each level to run a small cord through (for lighting I assume). That gap is about 12" away from the front lip depth wise. So I think I'm looking a kit that has two strips, an 18" cord that will connect them, then a 26" cord that can run from one strip all the way to the back of the case, wrap around, and run all the way back to the front of the case to attach to the next led strip that's one level down. Does that make any visual sense to anyone reading this?

So, where can I go/what should I do? I'm only looking at b&m stores just so I can buy the lights right away and not have to wait for shipping and hoping that whatever I buy will work, but is that a bad idea? My shelving is also a very dark/chocolate brown color, so having led lights with white cords is another problem I'm trying to figure out.

Here are some pics I took of my current (small) bookcase that I have only two statues fitting on. I plan on heading to Ikea on Sunday to buy the large case to replace some old furniture I have, so that'll make my cord length demands that much greater. And before anyone recommends another case to buy, I'm sticking with Hemnes because it matches the tv stand and (small) bookcase I already have in the room.

bookcase facing front with lips on top and sides
front.JPG
image looking from in to outside showing space behind lips
infront.JPG
gap carved out of each shelf row in back of bookcase
inback.JPG

Anyone have any ideas they can toss my way? Thanks! =)

Back