Fate of the 3.75" Star Wars Action Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamfett007

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I've been a HUGE Star Wars fan (like most of you are) for years!!! I had a rough childhood. I was left at home alone alot, days at a time even, when I was a boy. We were poor, and survived off of welfare. With what little i was given or could save, i always managed to buy a Star Wars figure!!! I felt like i hot gold when i found a Star Wars figure! I took care to make sure i kept every accessory,and never played rough as the scratch my figures. After 8th grade, i got caught up in HS. Football, wrestling, girls!!!! In a drawer in my room, was the figures from the 4 set of the bespin showdown set. At that moment, i got back into collection for a few years. It was during this time i got to enjoy the 3.75" The Vintage Collection. After running into hard times, and seeing my collection, i decided to come baack back into collecting earlier this year. To my suprise the market was saturated with 5 POA Crap, and the 6''Black Series figures.which led me to eventually want to post and ask these questions:

What happened the The Vintage Collection line?
What is the state of the 3.75" star wars action figure?
Are we now min the stage of forever saying good bye to 3.75" scale?
Is it just me, or are the new black series 3.75" seem cheap?

The Vintage Collection truly were some of the highest quality 3.75" figures out there, it's a shame to see what the 3.75" figures have become.

In short:

Hasbro abandoned Super Articulated 3.75" figures and reverted back to 5 POA for their mainline at that scale supposedly due to cost and main audience (Kids) not necessarily enjoying SA.
Collectors (aka Adults/Kidults) are now left with two options if 5 POA isn't satisfying. Eother Shift to 6" scale to satisfy their thirst for articulation but accept principle of a reboot as they'll have to collect the main characters and troopers all over again. Or rebel and only collect the elusive, Walmart exclusive, SA line, born from the ashes of The Vintage Collection, and barely offereing a dozen figures a year, half being repacks and the rest being heroes and villains taken from the latest movie.

There is still the 3.75 black series which I am reluctant to buy because they are freaking expensive.

Why can't they stick to the blister packs?

walmart_rogue.jpg

In short:

Hasbro abandoned Super Articulated 3.75" figures and reverted back to 5 POA for their mainline at that scale supposedly due to cost and main audience (Kids) not necessarily enjoying SA.
Collectors (aka Adults/Kidults) are now left with two options if 5 POA isn't satisfying. Eother Shift to 6" scale to satisfy their thirst for articulation but accept principle of a reboot as they'll have to collect the main characters and troopers all over again. Or rebel and only collect the elusive, Walmart exclusive, SA line, born from the ashes of The Vintage Collection, and barely offereing a dozen figures a year, half being repacks and the rest being heroes and villains taken from the latest movie.

Yes. This is what happened. The cost of SA figures grew to +$10 a pop and according Hasbro their retail partners wanted more affordable options for parents and kids. Now, like mentioned, there is only the Walmart line...the death kneel of the Vintage 3 3/4" Star Wars figures.

I'm not a 3.75" collectors, so I can't answer to your questions but I appreciate your tale... I think that every member of this board has a story about his childhood and star wars. Thanks for sharing....

I bought every single Vintage Collection figure and all the Legacy stuff too. The figures where exceptional.
I have tried to get the walmart range but rather than start again with 6 inch I moved up to Sideshow Hot Toys as I do not feel the need to buy them all ( except for the ESB bounty hunters).

Hasbro lost tons of customers when they reverted to 5poa. They cannot give them away in my local stores.

I must say I think the 5 POA figures are needed and they sell pretty well around me. They actually take me back to the original figures. But man am I ever disappointed in the amount of higher end 3-3/4" figures being released these days! I have close to 1000 loose 3-3/4" Star wars and A 1000 G.I. Joes. I have moved on to higher end items but I just cannot let these 2 collections go and these are what got me into collecting in the first place.

I don't think it matters what figure you put on he vintage card, it will sell. To me Hasbro is completely missing the boat.

I must say I think the 5 POA figures are needed and they sell pretty well around me. They actually take me back to the original figures. But man am I ever disappointed in the amount of higher end 3-3/4" figures being released these days! I have close to 1000 loose 3-3/4" Star wars and A 1000 G.I. Joes. I have moved on to higher end items but I just cannot let these 2 collections go and these are what got me into collecting in the first place.

I don't think it matters what figure you put on he vintage card, it will sell. To me Hasbro is completely missing the boat.

Not really...it's not Hasbro. It's the retailers. They don't want $12-$15 3 3/4" figures. They claim the sell through is slow and the parents complain about the price point. So Hasbro compromised and decided to offer hyper detailed figures with only 5 POA. Walmart was the only retailer willing to sell the collector line but with very few skus.

Not really...it's not Hasbro. It's the retailers. They don't want $12-$15 3 3/4" figures. They claim the sell through is slow and the parents complain about the price point. So Hasbro compromised and decided to offer hyper detailed figures with only 5 POA. Walmart was the only retailer willing to sell the collector line but with very few skus.

There is no way Toys R Us says no to a collectors line and I 'm sure the same goes for Target. If there willing to sell a $25 dollar 6" figure and an $150.00 tie fighter they are willing to sell a $14.99 3-3/4" figure. And I'm willing to bet the Vintage carded figure sales have a better sell through then any of the Star Wars figures in recent past.

And if not, give us a collector's club like G.I. Joe on a vintage card

Back