Effect of sunlight?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnaudo

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I keep my small collection in my campus office, which has a large window and gets a considerable amount of sunlight by day (the building was designed to explit sunlight as much as possible). I am just feeling a bit concerned about the effects that sunlight may have on my statues (Bowen, Sideshow, DC Collectibles), especially in the long run. No statue is directly in front of the window, but some are right by it (see pic below), and some on the opposite wall facing the window. The image blow shows the ones closest to the window. In the past sunlight greatly discolored the side of some books I stored in a similar office, but I have no idea of the effect on statues and painted toys.
Has annyone experience with this factor? suggestions, ideas, horror stories, etc?
Marco

IMG_3438.jpg

Last edited:
Most easily noticeable is white will turn yellowish faster than usual.

Some of it may depend on a companies particular 'finish'. We're all familiar with the fading done to paper products by exposure to UV, and as the poster before me mentioned, plastic (generally white) does tend to yellow with exposure... I can't speak from personal experience though because I've always been too paranoid to have my stuff near windows. :lol

Assuming the temperature isn't too bad, I imagine fading would be the primary concern.

Doesn't sound like you have any fabric there, but I had a bad experience with one of my Hot Toys figures. I have an office that gets a lot of sun during the day, and I have white blinds that are designed for privacy but still let the light in. I keep the blinds drawn all the time, and for lack of space, I had my DX01 Joker sitting on my desk in front of the window for, oh, 6 months or so. Went to move him one day and noticed the entire back of his purple jacket had faded really bad.

Probably as others have said, depends on the paint, the finish, and the material.

I had my HT's Bane and IM II in direct sunlight before I got my detolfs for about 2 years. There was no damage done on the backside. Even the leather on Bane's jacket was ok. But still considering how expensive these pieces are, they shouldn't be in direct sunlight just in case.

I've been witness to the effects of UV radiation on everything from photographs hung on walls to cars parked unsheltered to my own skin exposed unprotected for years...unless it's a plant lifeform, UV radiation is NOT our friend!
Personally I wouldn't risk any direct exposure, even through a window, unless it was treated with an adequate UV blocking tint or screen. As long as they are indirectly exposed they should be alright but I'd be cautious of the ones postioned on the side of the room recieving direct sunlight, the distance will indeed offer a measure of safety but the ill exposure affects will become cumlative given enough time. Just my .002.

I'ts not ambient natural light that's your problem....it's DIRECT UV rays from the sun. If the sun can directly shine on them....it will fade them. How quickly depends on the materials.

I'ts not ambient natural light that's your problem....it's DIRECT UV rays from the sun. If the sun can directly shine on them....it will fade them. How quickly depends on the materials.

normal bulbs also have UV. that is why you see figures on display in malls out of sunlight still subject to color fade, because prolonged exposure to light bulbs.

Back