Customikey Works on His Photography

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. I managed to get two pretty good pics of Hicks. Same pose/ different lighting. Not sure which is better/worse. I'm also trying to be more active in Photo Editor.

hicks2zh3.jpg

hicks1mp7.jpg

I like the shading and colors for his hair. I may have to go with those colors when I repaint my 20th Century Kyle Reese.

Mikey, try looking for a mini-tripod. They're real cheap -- ten bucks or less. They won't provide elevation, but they do guarantee that the camera will be steady.

I'm trying to think of the name of the big camera outlet in NYC, it's two letters, B & something? They'll probably have a few styles. Mini-tripods are popular with tourists who want self-group-portraits in front of landmarks.

Beautiful work.

Last edited:
Customikey said:
SOLD! Can't wait to get it.

No more crude backdrops and bad lighting!!!

Good for you, Mikey...my cube has only a white and a black background. The black makes the camera try to compensate for what it "thinks" is an underlit picture, and the white does the opposite. Les suggested I try a grey background, since that will do the least to throw exposure or color balance off. I haven't gotten around to finding one yet.

I don't know much about Photo Editor, but if it lets you select and delete areas and work with layers, a monotone background is real easy to eliminate, and you can replace the background with a slide from the movie.

Thanks, Gruff. I still have to experiment with it. I chose the grey background. I need more light sources....and time. More time would be good too....

I want to use my wife's reading light, but...but she's always....READING!!!

Courtesy of the Clubhouse board, here's a tutorial -- a long one -- just posted at Dan Richard Design covering tabletop photography on a budget. His whole setup, including a $50 light tent, cost under $100:

https://www.danrichard.com/

The tutorial also covers digital enhancement using a PC application called Photopaint, which seems similar to Photoshop. I'm not familiar with it.

Of course, there's a point where enhancing photos of repaints might be called cheating :rolleyes: ...but if you're thinking about a webspace for showcasing your work and soliciting commissions, pro-looking photos will be key. His notes about how to make the background go away are right on the money.

I got my light box and have used it a couple of times in my regular thread (see link in my sig), but I'm still futzing around with lighting, so I wanted to lay these portrait shots on you and see what you think!

As always, these are figs you've seen before, so I can save new work for the regular thread, and so I can show off old work with better pics.

By the way, thanks soo much Gruff, for suggesting the light box. It's made the process so much less frustrating!!

pa140025ta7.jpg

pa140047xr2.jpg

pa140043nr1.jpg

pa140034xr5.jpg

pa140028zb7.jpg

And a couple more shots of Obi that came out really well.

pa140039pg4.jpg

pa140033dj5.jpg

Mikey, your photography has improved to match your painting skills. Indeed you are powerful. :emperor

Gorgeous repaints. Now to clone and put you on the SS manufacturing line in Asia.:lol

You ain't kidding. I hope Sideshow takes note of Mikey's repaints and realizes that something must be done about their lackluster factory paint aps and steps up the quality of their figures. I know factory paints can never match a talented hand-painted effort but they could at least get the hair color and shading right. Put Mikey on the payroll and he'll QC 'em good and proper!

Back