Care & Feeding of Your Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoZombieGo

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Though I pretty much collect a little bit of everything format-wise, I have yet to branch out into the more expensive PF/statue-y areas - but I've seen some of the really beautiful and elaborate displays some of you have in the "show your collection" type threads, so I thought it'd be nice to get some advice on how you keep your stuff looking so rockin.'

So basically, I'm wondering what sort of tips everyone has for both cleaning and maintaining your statues, figures and other collectibles.

For example:

If your 12" figure got a smudge of some sort on its face, how would you remove it without screwing up the paint underneath?

Will displaying an SSC Premium Format in an area with a lot of direct sunlight bleach it out, as can happen with signs in storefront windows or drapery (I'm assuming any fabric clothing on a PF could and would bleach, but am curious about the paints)?

What's something (like a tool or chemical cleaner) you should NEVER use to clean a figure?

How does one go about more effectively dusting a narrow shelf crammed with roughly nine gazillion 6" figures?

Which cleaners/methods work best for different materials - like vinyl vs. polystone? What about replica weapons?

Those are just a few I could think of to get the ball rolling, but please share any tips or advice you might have!

I keep my figures in a display case, occasionally dust, for the finer areas I use a paint brush to dust, on cloth I roll sticky around my hand "sticky side out" and lightly tap the figure.
- Direct sunlight will fade your figures.
- I don't touch them so I dont get smudges on them
- Vinyl figures I dust & if real bad wash in water (since they are usually not in a case)
- I don't have any PF or Polystone but have heard water is a NO NO :thwak

I try keeping my collectibles out of direct sunlight, in a non smoking and non pet home, all of the statues, figures, and most of the props (excepting the 1:1 helmet collection) are in display cases protected by glass doors. I'm also careful at posing the rubber suit figures since they can be damaged at bent joints in time (I have the HT Appleseed figs). Wet and hot environment might harm your collectibles especially clothed figures/statues and rubber suit ones - mold can develop.

For dusting them I use a big make-up brush I got from my girlfriend. Compressed air can works ok, but it is quite expensive and goes fast (also careful not to shake the can otherwise the cold gas might attack the collectible). Preferably no water or regular cleaning products for polystone, resin or clothed statues (like PF). For cleaning up Sideshow Vader 1:1 bust, Stormtrooper armor, and 1:1 helmets I use Novus 2.

I keep my statues out of direct sunlight and in a case for most of them.

I use an old make-up blush brush (to dust), a small travel lint roller (for my PF's) and compressed air to clean all my statues.

I've used a small glasses lens cloth to clean smudges in the past.

- I don't have any PF or Polystone but have heard water is a NO NO :thwak

Water makes the paint run or something? You'd think water would be fairly harmless on something like that, but I suppose when dealing with the uber-spendy stuff, I wouldn't want to risk it anyway.

For cleaning up Sideshow Vader 1:1 bust, Stormtrooper armor, and 1:1 helmets I use Novus 2.

What is Novus 2?

I've also heard about vinyl clothing cracking, but how exactly do you pose them so that doesn't happen?

I keep my statues out of direct sunlight and in a case for most of them.

I use an old make-up blush brush (to dust), a small travel lint roller (for my PF's) and compressed air to clean all my statues.

I've used a small glasses lens cloth to clean smudges in the past.

Sounds like make-up brushes, lint rollers/tape, and canned air are the ways to go.

I wondered about smudges because I picked up a loose, used 12" SSC Buffy for a customizing project I have in mind, and her face ended up being so dirty upon arrival, she looks like a Dickens street urchin.

I want to clean her up, but I don't want to screw up the paint underneath too badly, as I am not very experienced at painting faces yet. I have some lens cloths, though, so I'll try that in an inconspicuous spot and see what happens.

Thanks, everyone! :1-1:

For most statues I tend to use a tiny bit of product they use to clean glasses (note: alcohol free) and a microfiber cloth. It's never caused any trouble. Other than that I dust them off with a little cloth and brush every week, and for the tiny corners (Like the corner of eyes) I use a toothpick with a piece of cloth on the tip, keeps it sharp but soft. Always be delicate and patient, never try to rush, I've known people who damage their collectibles by trying to dust everything in minutes, but you're always better off spending an hour or two and do it decently.

lots of acetone to keep that factory paint minty fresh.

Back