Am I Stupid for Possibly Turning Down $2000+

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWEJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
I created a thread a little while back asking about advice to sell some toys. I have a pretty extensive 3 3/4 Marvel Universe collection and this was the main money maker for me when I decided to sell some odd stuff. I purchased this lot a few years back and have added bits and pieces to it. Some variants, I have the big 19" Sentinel and Galactus, the line is not complete by any means, but still a solid set of 80-90 figures all MOC, in as perfect condition as could be. I bought these figures in large lots all totaling less than $400 and my intention was always to flip these. I have held on to these as the years have passed by and finally decided to sell. I start taking pictures, doing my research where to sell. Brians Toys offer was around $1400. I checked ebay, went through the sold listings, calculated the average value of each figure sold, and wrote it down. After figuring for fees and shipping charges the total was a little over $2000, maybe more or less depending on how the auction goes....

I somehow stumble across marvelous news forum and see the collections people have of these Marvel Universe figures. They look pretty sweet to be honest all grouped together. For $10 retail figures they are great, sturdy joints easily pose-able (had two or three loose already). I then begin looking through the collection thread and googling for marvel universe collections and just sat through scrolling for about an hour, looking at the checklists to see some cool figures I do not have, feeling a small urge to buy those....lost track of time.

I would open these, rendering the values of these probably to nothing.....

The problem is that I already collect Transformers, Star Wars, WWE, Funko POP!, Hot Toys Marvel and Star Wars, SSC DC and Star Wars, DC Classics, DC Direct figures, Batman Arkham, Batman 1966, Batman Animated, started Walking Dead Mcfarlane a few days ago, NASCARs.....The more and more I looked at these Marvel Universe figures the less and less I wanted to sell them.... They are still all MOC, sitting on the table... sometimes I look at them and see money and other times I see an awesome display shelf that when I walk by I will be proud of.........

I could use the money for multiple things. It is not a fire sale or anything for me, no emergency, but this was the plan all along to flip these figures. I guess I am weighing the money against the love of toys against the thought of starting to collect another line.....

Any suggestions? Keep em? Sell em? Advice? I am really torn.....

When I'm ready to sell something I know it.
I generally want it out of the house ASAP and the money will be spent in flash :rock2

Good way to make decisions like this is to flip the situation around. If you had the $2000 ... would you use it to buy these figures? If so, keep 'em. If not, sell 'em.

That's essentially the decision you're making. $2000 in one hand. These toys in the other. Which do you keep? If you'd use the $2000 on something else, sell 'em and buy it. If you'd not spend $2000 on these toys, sell 'em because the going price is too high, and they're not worth that much to you.

You could always split the baby ... sell the carded ones, buy loose ones cheaper, pocket the difference.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Good way to make decisions like this is to flip the situation around. If you had the $2000 ... would you use it to buy these figures? If so, keep 'em. If not, sell 'em.

That's essentially the decision you're making. $2000 in one hand. These toys in the other. Which do you keep? If you'd use the $2000 on something else, sell 'em and buy it. If you'd not spend $2000 on these toys, sell 'em because the going price is too high, and they're not worth that much to you.

You could always split the baby ... sell the carded ones, buy loose ones cheaper, pocket the difference.

SnakeDoc

I don't think it's that simple. I have a lot of stuff that has appreciated in value, but I wouldn't buy it today for the replacement cost.

I don't think it's that simple. I have a lot of stuff that has appreciated in value, but I wouldn't buy it today for the replacement cost.

If you wouldn't buy it today for its replacement cost, why forego its replacement cost to keep it? Same difference.

SnakeDoc

This is hard. As a fellow Marvelousnews and Toynewsinternational member, I feel that the 3 ¾ line is on its last legs as most of the focus are on Marvel Legends or the movie tie-in line with the action features.
As for opening them and rendering the value useless, I disagree. They still go up in value, maybe not as much as a MOC figure, but they will go for at retail or more per figure. I have a loose Dragon Man that bought a few years ago at retail. I opened that sucker up not aware how much he would go for in a few years. I don’t remember how much a MOC one goes for, but a loose Dragon Man goes for $500 dollars.
I am a bit weary selling stuff to toy vendors since they would ask for 40%/60% value of the figures and then flip it.
If you decide to resell your figures, it is best to sell the rare ones individually and the common ones that fetches a couple of dollars in lots. Even though you have seen the figures being sold on ebay, some of them might not sell. By batching the cheaper figures alone, you get more of a profit if you sold a bunch of peg warmers in a lot as oppose individually. That said, you can make a pretty profit if you sell the big figures like the Sentinel and Galactus individually.
I can be wrong, but I feel that the Marvel Legends line will have a better resell value than the Universe line because of the popularity and the age of the line itself. There are also a lot of reissue figures in the Universe line

I would say if you DO sell it, make sure you spend the money on something thats going to last. I remember selling my old nes and games when the new systems came out. I don't even remember what I spent the money on but later I thought, what a waste. It felt like I tossed them and got nothing in return.

If you wouldn't buy it today for its replacement cost, why forego its replacement cost to keep it? Same difference.

SnakeDoc

Potato-Tomato. See Darth Talon, MR Millennium Falcon, Predator 1:1 Bust, Predator & Big Chap 1/4 Maquettes, 1/6 Godfather, and many others.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Legendary Scale that is .....

Just over $2000 to own that monster statue.

Do it.

:D

Sell!

and buy original, exclusive seated version of Dooooooooooooooooooooom, Sideshow Premium Format

Sell... because your first thought was to look how much you could gain from getting rid of them.

There's things I my collection that I don't ever consider how much they are in todays market.... those I know I'm keeping. The ones I start moving around constantly and start thinking off getting rid of is when I know it's time.

b86774e3add261f7f99907a14b00d5a662dc981ce0f2199ef42e8abab6aa76b3.jpg

I created a thread a little while back asking about advice to sell some toys. I have a pretty extensive 3 3/4 Marvel Universe collection and this was the main money maker for me when I decided to sell some odd stuff. I purchased this lot a few years back and have added bits and pieces to it. Some variants, I have the big 19" Sentinel and Galactus, the line is not complete by any means, but still a solid set of 80-90 figures all MOC, in as perfect condition as could be. I bought these figures in large lots all totaling less than $400 and my intention was always to flip these. I have held on to these as the years have passed by and finally decided to sell. I start taking pictures, doing my research where to sell. Brians Toys offer was around $1400. I checked ebay, went through the sold listings, calculated the average value of each figure sold, and wrote it down. After figuring for fees and shipping charges the total was a little over $2000, maybe more or less depending on how the auction goes....

I somehow stumble across marvelous news forum and see the collections people have of these Marvel Universe figures. They look pretty sweet to be honest all grouped together. For $10 retail figures they are great, sturdy joints easily pose-able (had two or three loose already). I then begin looking through the collection thread and googling for marvel universe collections and just sat through scrolling for about an hour, looking at the checklists to see some cool figures I do not have, feeling a small urge to buy those....lost track of time.

I would open these, rendering the values of these probably to nothing.....

The problem is that I already collect Transformers, Star Wars, WWE, Funko POP!, Hot Toys Marvel and Star Wars, SSC DC and Star Wars, DC Classics, DC Direct figures, Batman Arkham, Batman 1966, Batman Animated, started Walking Dead Mcfarlane a few days ago, NASCARs.....The more and more I looked at these Marvel Universe figures the less and less I wanted to sell them.... They are still all MOC, sitting on the table... sometimes I look at them and see money and other times I see an awesome display shelf that when I walk by I will be proud of.........

I could use the money for multiple things. It is not a fire sale or anything for me, no emergency, but this was the plan all along to flip these figures. I guess I am weighing the money against the love of toys against the thought of starting to collect another line.....

Any suggestions? Keep em? Sell em? Advice? I am really torn.....
Marvel Universe is what got me started buying SSC and HT, so they have a special place for me but I would say sell (which is what I did, myself). Ultimately although I loved the figures I just found the scale and posability too limiting. Also, looking at the larger collections, they all become muddled together and it's hard to appreciate the figures individually (especially from any kind of distance). Lastly, I found I almost always regretted taking them off the card, b/c the card art is one of my favourite things about looking at them (paradoxically, I don't like the look of multiple carded figures on a wall, though), so for me it was easier to sell.

Can you please edit your title before someone answers your question only to receive an infraction :D

:lol :lol :lol

But I decided what I am doing. Keeping half (one variation of a character from any marvel movie past, present, future) and sold the other half for a little over $1000. I had a lot of duplicates to sell of figures (Iron Man, Spider Man, Wolverine, Human Torch) and some characters I hardly remember or am not a fan of (just a very casual Marvel Comic reader). So just keeping my favorite representation of some of these characters worked out well. Gonna keep these MOC, as you said Invictus, the artwork on these are really amazing and it would be a shame to ruin these, plus if I do question keeping these I can still sell these for the same and if not more than what I could have gotten now.

Very happy with what I ended up doing though, got to keep some and got to get some money for more toys :lol

So I now have a good collection of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 3 3/4 size (even if they are not fully accurate).

Potato-Tomato. See Darth Talon, MR Millennium Falcon, Predator 1:1 Bust, Predator & Big Chap 1/4 Maquettes, 1/6 Godfather, and many others.

Hmmm I've sold all those except the godfather! (never owned that one)

Last edited:
Back