Advice on which Sauron to get...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weta version as a much better paint app, but the Sauron PF is epic. I sold the weta one great piece, looks like a stick man next to the PF one though, PF is awesome if you can live with the Fisher price paint job.

Unrelated topic, but does anyone know what's up with the S&F forum? It has been down for the past few days...

Unsure, have been trying to get in as well, no luck.

The Shadow and Flame is having some server issues. Really big server issues. Here's what Pordey said about it:

There's a PHP upgrade on the server which doesn't really agree with with our PHP based forum. Chuck [= the Admin] is working on it, but as he said; "it's a big headache"

And later:

Dear Flamers. Chuck is working hard to get the forum up and running again. Sorry about these technical stupidities. I really don't know anything about how and why, but it seems like there's a software mismatch between the server/forum. Hopefully we can get them to work together again or find a different solution.

I saw the PF in person at SDCC. I didn't like the pose, and some parts of him were not properly scaled. He is huge, but I held off since I found the Weta version superior. But, also because everything else I have is from the good ol' SS/W days. If you plan to show him as a standalone, you can go for the PF, and find the matching print to display behind him. If you plan to show him next to your Asmus 1/6 scale, the Weta one will blend in better.

This. :exactly:

If you want to display them together, the Sideshow/Weta one makes more sense. Besides, the pose is more iconic, if you care for that.

Welcome by the way! :wave

My room only allows for detolfs atm and i ya i would like to display them together, and thanks for the welcome :D

I personally prefer the weta than pf, its better pose than pf and im not fan of the paint apps in pf eventough its great detail paint.. Just wait for awhile mate lets hope asmus will do the sauron 1/6.

If I were you I'd just wait it out. This hobby has a knack for punishing the impatient. If Asmus keeps going on the their current path I'm sure you'll see one from them.

If you're trying to supplement due to lack of options you may not be happy. Unless your making a transition to statues stay consistent with the 1/6. If you are making a move between medias then the Weta would serve you better.

Right...i guess i'm sort of in a mixed moment of anxiety and impatience, i get gouged so hard buying my other 1/6 figures that i'm afraid if i wait too long i'l lose my chance or have the price be so high i wont be able to afford it. But, yeah i'm trying to place them by my other 1/6 so WETA will be better match atm.

+1 for Weta piece. I think it will scale better and has a far better pose than the SS PF. The paint on the Weta one is sort of bland but serviceable whereas the Sauron PG has divided people. Lots of people did a repaint on the SS PF, which looks great. I would say you can grab a Weta one for half the price of the SS PF right now.

Ah ok, yeah i dont think ill be one of those talented individuals in repainting, so another for Weta!

To the the original poster, I suggest trying to see these in person. I had a Sauron PF on hold for me at the local comic store for quite a bargain off retail, walked in, saw it setup and knew instantly I hated it. It all will come down to personal taste on this one. But it sounds like money is an issue in which case I think the Weta one is the way to go. I imagine those are still in the 450 range while the PF is likely closer to the 1k mark once shipping is figured in.

I would love to see these pieces in person. Problem is I live in suburbs near Toronto, the major conventions like FanExpo don't have Sideshow displays. Nor did I find any comic/hobby stores that even carried Sauron in any formats. They're all about DC/Marvel figures/statues :(. The hobby store i bought my Nazgul in did not carry it as well.

This probably isn't overly helpful but rest assured in the end, whichever version you decide on you are going to get a fantastic piece. Everyone has their personal preferences but in my opinion they are both awesome.

Thank you! I'm hoping it will turn out well!!

I saw the PF in person at SDCC. I didn't like the pose, and some parts of him were not properly scaled. He is huge, but I held off since I found the Weta version superior. But, also because everything else I have is from the good ol' SS/W days. If you plan to show him as a standalone, you can go for the PF, and find the matching print to display behind him. If you plan to show him next to your Asmus 1/6 scale, the Weta one will blend in better.

Ah right so scale is one of the things, did you think the legs for the PF was skinny? I see posts online of people saying the same thing about the Weta. For scale isn't Sauron HUGE (thus leaning more to PF size?) compared to everyone else, I'm basing this off of Fellowship though.

Any advice as to where to look/hunt for it? Ebay price gougers are hurting me bad :(

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSTS SO FAR!!!!!!
So far it seems its 4 for PF and 7 for Weta
Keep an eye out in the sale section here. One pops up once in a while. Are you in the US? That will make it a bit easier and this is a huge box.

As I said before scale wise it sounds like the SSW piece is more what you're looking for. It's a fantastic piece and if that is what you decide to go with then great choice. I will say the people that chose to repaint the PF did so because they didn't like what they saw not so much what actually is as well some prefer the scale of the SSW statue for the reason you're kind of at. The SS PF is easily one of the best Middle-earth pieces ever made by anyone.

Also for the record I at somepoint will track down the SSW one as well because I want both in my collection. They're both that good.

Here's a pic of mine taken when I got it as well as a link to the rest.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...65-sauron-premium-format-133.html#post6121883

I own both the PF and the SSW statue and I honestly can't pick my favorite. They're both gorgeous pieces, if you ask me. They both have lots of high points. I don't envy your choice!

Though, from a purely display perspective, I'd say go for the SSW statue since it would be more in scale with your existing figures.

That said ... don't forget that Asmus has also said they're definitely going to do a 1/6 Sauron figure a bit further down the road. So if you really want your collection to match, you might want to wait a year or so and see what kind of Sauron they bring to the table.

I own both the PF and the SSW statue and I honestly can't pick my favorite. They're both gorgeous pieces, if you ask me. They both have lots of high points. I don't envy your choice!

Though, from a purely display perspective, I'd say go for the SSW statue since it would be more in scale with your existing figures.

That said ... don't forget that Asmus has also said they're definitely going to do a 1/6 Sauron figure a bit further down the road. So if you really want your collection to match, you might want to wait a year or so and see what kind of Sauron they bring to the table.
The SSW one is going to be hard to beat by Asmus and will probably end up the same price as you can get a SSW one for. No sense in rushing though, might as well wait and see(or get the SSW now and sell it if you prefer the Asmus.)

Ahh, looking at Josh's pics reminded me of what I didn't like about the PF (again, my personal opinions):
1) Armor's too shiny looking
2) There was something about his one foot higher that didn't resonate with me. It reminded of trying to look bad-ass by looking like a thug.
3) The head to shoulder size ratio was not right. His head didn't seem to be in scale, and removed any threatening look he had.

In the end, it is to each his own.

Once my sideshow sauron statue comes around April 20th, if the pattern of that it takes 5 days to ship as my Mythos vader took, from January 25th to the 30th. I will give my view of the sauron statue, because seeing it in the flesh I will know for sure if the statue is great or a disappointment. Of what I see of the statue, it just screams epic

Well again, the 2 (or 3) biggest flaws on this statue...

1 and 2 are personal opinions, with one being a little bit "easier" to say good or not.

1) Paint App. I personally think it could have been done better. A little toyish looking. Will be a cool project later on and even cooler once done. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

2) Pose. I was sort of worried about the pose, but once in person, pose is fine. Some do not care for it.

3) Fragility. This you can not get around and I hope it shows up fine for you. Pieces on the base a really fragile. I had my local store open both before buying. Good thing to, first had a busted base...second was perfectly intact.

For the rest. 1k for a basically 3 foot statue of the Lord of Darkness...how can you go wrong? Only thing better would be 4 feet. :D

Well again, the 2 (or 3) biggest flaws on this statue...

1 and 2 are personal opinions, with one being a little bit "easier" to say good or not.

1) Paint App. I personally think it could have been done better. A little toyish looking. Will be a cool project later on and even cooler once done. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

2) Pose. I was sort of worried about the pose, but once in person, pose is fine. Some do not care for it.

3) Fragility. This you can not get around and I hope it shows up fine for you. Pieces on the base a really fragile. I had my local store open both before buying. Good thing to, first had a busted base...second was perfectly intact.

For the rest. 1k for a basically 3 foot statue of the Lord of Darkness...how can you go wrong? Only thing better would be 4 feet. :D

The only problem I have with the piece is the potential fragility of the statue, that many have brought up. What I have seen from the piece, I realy like the paint work. The pose I do love, was never a fan of the weta pose, I will just hope like all the piece is unbroken. My lord of the rings collection is built around the Lord of Mordor, yes it's only Sauron? Saruman, Morgul Lord, but it's a cool little collection to have

Back