1/6 CooModel SE126- SE129 Pontifical Swiss Guard (1914-)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
CooModel Swiss Guard 1.jpg
CooModel Swiss Guard 2.jpg

The modern Swiss Guard is the product of the reforms pursued by Jules Repond, commander during 1910–1921. Repond proposed to recruit only native citizens of Switzerland and he introduced rigorous military exercises. He also attempted to introduce modern arms, but Pius X only permitted the presence of firearms if they were not functional. Repond's reforms and strict discipline were not well received by the corps, culminating in a week of open mutiny in July 1913, and the subsequent dismissal of thirteen ringleaders from the guard.[14]

In his project to restore the Swiss Guard to its former prestige, Repond also dedicated himself to the study of historical costume, with the aim of designing a new uniform that would be both reflective of the historical Swiss costume of the 16th century and suited for military exercise. The result of his studies was published as Le costume de la Garde suisse pontificale et la Renaissance italienne (1917). Repond designed the distinctive Renaissance-style uniforms still worn by the modern Swiss Guard. The introduction of the new uniforms was completed in May 1914.

1280px-Swiss_guard_swearing_in.jpg
1280px-Group_of_swiss_guards_inside_saint_peter_dome.jpg

Rom,_Vatikan,_Soldat_der_Schweizer_Garde_2.jpg

800px-Sword_of_the_Swiss_Guard.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard

It's starting to look as though CooModel think this is a sixteenth century uniform, rather than a twentieth century one: the Landsknecht sword and the oddly shaped shoes.

Or maybe they have a point: during ceremonies a pair of Guardsmen carry the Landsknecht sword, the 'Flamberge Zweihander', to protect the flagbearer.

I missed them in the photo I already posted:

467637-1280px-Swiss-guard-swearing-in.jpg

The CooModel shoes are still very strange though.

The armour and silver morion helmet is worn for ceremonial duties such as the annual swearing-in ceremony or reception of foreign heads of state. A black morion helmet is worn for guard duty or drill. For daily duties a large black beret was worn.

Last edited:
Not really going to nitpick about things I know nothing about, but the leggings are quite a bit overly baggy versus reality—I wonder why. Either way, what a novel idea! It’s really neat to see coomodel branch out their armour tech into more obscure ceremonial outfits

Not really going to nitpick about things I know nothing about, but the leggings are quite a bit overly baggy versus reality—I wonder why. Either way, what a novel idea! It’s really neat to see coomodel branch out their armour tech into more obscure ceremonial outfits

They look way too baggy, and the photos show small brass buttons, whereas CooModel have used big sewn on blue ones. Also in that photo the armour on the arms has separated.

I don't know whether they'll manage to pull off the cloth parts of this outfit as they're quite complex. It seems like the ribbons on the legs are too long, making them too voluminous.

Coomodel is cranking out some great stuff in terms of armored figures. Keep ‘em coming

I got excited and thought it was a Spanish Conquistador when I saw the small preview picture on BBICN but still a very cool figure reminds of that picture of a WW2 Gi with one of these guys.

I got excited and thought it was a Spanish Conquistador when I saw the small preview picture on BBICN but still a very cool figure reminds of that picture of a WW2 Gi with one of these guys.

What came to mind for me was the 1983 film, The Scarlet and the Black. Though they were wearing the berets and no armour.

I think I found that photo:

gq70vzoy22i51.jpg

The caption reads: WW II, June 1944. American GIs talk with a Swiss Guard in the Vatican.

However, the helmet is a different style; the armour has tassets and he's wearing socks and sandals rather than traditional leggings and shoes.

So I did an image search and found this Italian Facebook page:

The verdict was that he wasn't a Swiss guard...

Lorenzo Aldighieri
No. He’s an icon of Fiorentina soccer. It’s a picture that’s been circulating on the web for years.

That's a fancy football mascot!

Last edited:
COOMODEL 1/6 SE126 Empire Series - Swiss Papal Guard (Alloy Standard Edition)
Barcode: 6971242122604
Configuration list:

- Hyper-realistic head sculpt
- 1/6 super movable body
- 6 replacement hands
- 4 white gloves replacement hands

Clothing & Armor:
- Blue, yellow and red guard uniform (top + trousers)
- Black beret
- Brown leather belt
- Black leather shoes
- Silver helmet with red feather top
- White ruff collar
- Silver half plate armor
- A pair of silver arm armor

Weapons:
- Halberd
- Long sword (including scabbard)

Accessories:
- Black doll stand

C1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg

COOMODEL 1/6 SE127 Empire Series - Captain of the Swiss Papal Guard (Alloy Standard Edition)
Barcode: 6971242122611

Configuration list:

- 1/6 super movable body
- 6 replacement hands
- 4 white glove replacement hands Type

Clothing & Armor:
- Black and red captain uniform (black top + red trousers)
- Black beret
- Black leather belt
- Black leather shoes
- Black helmet with red feather top
- White ruff collar
- Black half plate armor
- Black arm armor

Pair of weapons:
- Halberd
- Long sword (with scabbard)
- Gauntlet and stabbing sword

Accessories:
- Black doll stand

s6.jpg
s7.jpg
s8.jpg
s9.jpg
s10.jpg

COOMODEL 1/6 SE128 Empire Series - Swiss Papal Guard (Copper Copper Collector's Edition) Barcode: 6971242122628 Configuration list:

- 1/6 super movable body
- 6 replacement hands
- 4 white gloves replacement hands

Clothing & Armor:
- Blue, yellow and red guard uniform (top + trousers)
- Black beret
- Brown leather belt
- Black cocked leather shoes
- Bright silver helmet with red feather top
- White ruff collar
- Bright silver half plate armor
- Bright Pair of silver arm armor

Weapons:
- Halberd
- Three-pronged spear
- Two-handed sword

Accessories:
- Black doll stand

s11.jpg
s12.jpg
s13.jpg
s14.jpg
s15.jpg
s16.jpg

COOMODEL 1/6 SE129 Empire Series - Captain of the Swiss Papal Guard (Pure Copper Collector's Edition)
Barcode: 6971242122635

Configuration list:

- 1/6 super movable body
- 6 replacement hands
- 4 replacement white gloves Hand shape

clothing & armor:
- black and red captain uniform (black top + red trousers)
- black beret
- black leather belt -
black cocked leather shoes
- black helmet with red feather top
- white ruff collar
- black half plate armor
- Pair of black arm armor

Weapons:
- Halberd
- Three-pronged spear
- Gauntlet stabbing sword

Accessories:
- Black doll stand

s17.jpg
s18.jpg
s19.jpg
s20.jpg
s21.jpg
s22.jpg
s23.jpg

The shoes tell me either CooModel messed up, or they're sneakily selling these as part of their 'Empire' series, because this uniform didn't exist for the Swiss Guard until 1914.

Back